1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good "professional" haircut for an overweight, curly-haired guy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Browncoat, May 9, 2012.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya, guess this could technically belong in the "Support & Advice" forum, but it seemed a bit trivial, so..

Anyways, I've just gotten back home from being in college the past 8.5 months - since I could care less about what people think of my hair when I'm just doing schoolwork and research, I've let it grown out to slightly past shoulder length. It's shaggy, I don't do anything with it, and I absolutely love it - it just feels more "right" to me than short cuts (which completely annoy me, for some reason).

That said, I'm going to be looking for a job for the summer. I'm constantly being told by my stereotype-adhering mother that I'll not have a shot if I don't cut it (I was going to get it cut anyways, but her comments piss me off...).

Anyways, I'm completely clueless as to what would look "professional" on me. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on the matter :slight_smile:.

Oh, and I'm overweight (not sure how much that factors in) and have think, curly/wavy hair. Any way I could maintain a supposed "professional" look and still keep it at least somewhat long?

2. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.spinner.com/media/2012/02/gotye-456-021412.jpg

I don't know if your hair is more curly than this, but this is a nice look. Just make sure you shave. And being overweight does not matter. I would hope they aren't hiring you based on the fact if you were skinny or not. But, you can certainly wear more slimming outfits if that's what you're concerned about. Wear a nice suit, blazer, dress shoes, either black jeans or dress pants. Completely up to you.

In the end, I wouldn't be concerned too much on how you look. As long as you look cleaned up, and well put together. Your resumé and interview will be the determining factors.

Anyways, good luck with your job search!! ^_^

3. I would recommend finding a good barber and asking them what would fit your face shape. A good barber would know, and from what I've seen, I get better haircuts from barbers than from salons. IMHO.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a fellow overweight man with curly hair, I can relate completely. My approach to hair styling is generally dominated by my laziness though. I like something that I don't have to do a lot with to maintain. Usually I have the sides and back buzzed with 1/2 inch trimmers, and leave the top between 2 or 3 inches so it still has some curl on it, which I enjoy. But I just tell the stylist (my sister, who happens to be a Cosmetologist) to do whatever, since she knows my preferences.

Although your mother's comments would persuade me to grow it out even more. The one thing I can not stand is people telling me how to wear my hair or how to dress... Even for a job.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooo, he's cute :love: Hah, good look though. And it's pretty similar to my hair - somewhere between curly/wavy; though it gets curlier as it gets longer.

Intersting, I've only been to a barber a few times (in small town Montana, mostly) and they were always the "crew cut or nothin'!" type :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Probably different in the Seattle area though, ought to try it...

I know right? Gosh, I was so ticked about that yesterday. And it's hypocritical of her too, since she always has her hair short and lashes out and people that criticize it. Why then can I not have my hair long? -.-

Anyways, thanks guys! I'll look around a little more online, but I may just entrust it to a barber or salon stylist with it.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like someone mentioned above, I would say go and find a good hairdresser that can tell you what will look good on you and then help you find something that is profession, but that still fits your personality. (Keep in mind though, that some employers will tell you that you cannot have long hair.)

I think the most important point about whatever haircut you get is to keep it well-kept. If you want super long hair, then go for it, but make sure you brush it every day, you use conditioner and a good shampoo, and if you have curly hair then some products for that might also help.

The point of a more professional haircut is to get the point across that you care about your self and your work, which means you care about how you look.

Choosing haircuts suck tho haha I've being trying to find a new one for weeks now!! Can't decide :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: