1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today was my big day!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sayu, May 10, 2012.

1. Sayu

Today it was the first time I spoke about gay topics in front of like ten other people (I am only really out to one of them) and actually I felt very good doing that, though I was a biiit nervous :icon_wink

So I wrote here a couple weeks ago about my English lesson and that we were talking about human relationships and would continue the next week, but our lesson was canceled since we went to cinema with school. So today was the day :thumbsup: And here's how it went:

We talked about some social minorities and ethnic groups with our teacher and then she asked: "So, what other minorities are there?"
    Me: "Gay people."
    Teacher: "Oh, yes, that's right. So, gay people. What do you think of them?"
    Me: "Well, you would think that we live in freakin' 21st century and these people are just fully accepted for who they are, but it isn't always like that."
    Teacher: "What about our country? Are gay people accepted here?"
    Me: "No. Not at all. And that's just really sad, you know, because these people have to go through some hard stages in their life, starting with questioning. And it can be pretty bad. Because it's such a stupid feeling when you don't know who you are. I don't suppose you have experienced it, but if you had, you would probably have agreed with me." (I really like this one, because it was sort of "coming out", wasn't it? :icon_wink)
    Teacher: "Yes, so you need to accept yourself first, right?"
    Me: "Yeah. There are people who actually try to pretend that everything is "normal" and that they are not gay. But that's just a huge mistake, because this is part of who you are and nothing can change it.
    So, then starts the coming out process. And that is really hard, because you can never know, which one of your friends or family members is not going to accept you..."

Then she asked other people on their opinions ( :lol: ) and I must admit that I was pretty pissed of by some of them (one of them told that gay people are disgusting etc...)

Teacher: "Would you accept your child if they were gay or a lesbian?"
    Me: "Yes, of course."
    My best friend (the one who knows): "Yeah, no problem with that." (*hug*)

And I said a lot more, I also mentioned the quote by Leonard Matlovich and the conversation was really great! (!)

I am sorry for this long thread, but I call this a progress and I feel kind of proud of myself for speaking like this in front of people that I am not out to and I just wanted to share this little "victory" with you guys! (&&&)

2. Aldrick

It can be difficult to talk to a crowd of other people on any subject, especially controversial subjects, but it's even harder when you have personal feelings involved.

You did amazing. (*hug*)

3. BudderMC

^ seconded! That was epic!

4. Valyrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good job right there! :grin:D

5. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congrats! u practically came out just then! nice job :slight_smile:

6. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Ah hey great for you, that's a huge step.
    I like to think I did my little bit for the community by yelling at this little kid for half an hour about why it is wrong to discriminate against gay people.. But it.s nothinh compared to that, so well done! xx

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Really nice job! Congrats on having the guts to go for it :slight_smile:

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! That is a hard step to take, so I'm glad that you took it!!

9. GingerGuy

Great job girl. Even though you did not come out, you said what was on your mind and spoke the truth. Maybe you could have been more detailed to the plight of gay men and lesbians in less advanced and more intolerant countries, but your speech is very good the way it is. Reminds me a lot of when I came out to a group of people. All guys. One of the scariest but also most rewarding moments of my life.

10. Sukisho

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you had a great moment there Sayu! Even in the face of people who were openly disagreeing with you and still being very intolerant you stuck your ground! Congrats on standing up for yourself and other gay/lesbian people. It is the small victories I think are always the most important for us.

11. Megan3

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats dear! You did a wonderful job (*hug*)

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Congratulations! Well done.

13. Derpette

congrats! you did great, it takes some guts to talk about this topic one on one, and this must have been much harder :eusa_clap :slight_smile:

14. Chickzak

Yaaay!! Well done for beginning the whole topic too! Thats pretty tough, just to be able to openly discuss it with a load of others listening too. Annd *smile* at youur teacher for pushing on about it so much too!

Congrats Sayuu =D xX

15. Sayu

Aww, thank you very much, guys! :icon_wink (&&&)

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great job!! Congrats! :grin: