1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Find out where the Presidential hopefuls stands...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jan 8, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Ty

Ty Guest

From what i've read, Mike Gravel seems like a good candidate - Is that an ill informed decision? Do educate me :slight_smile:

Dennis Kucinich also seemed good.

Well they seemed more appealing than Hilliary.... fill me in on these people! I know nothing of american politics:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Im british!

#2 Ty, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  3. Hollywood

I absoultly love Hillary. I've supported her for months.

Haha, Kucinich runs in every presidental election. He's lost so many times and dosen't have a chance.

Gravel isn't even considered to be in the running. I don't know too much about him other then his views on Gay rights, which are the more liberal then all the front-runners, making him too liberal for many independents.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I really like Kucinich. Heck, he was honest about seeing that UFO! We need people like him in our government. :roflmao: I'm struggling between Obama and Hillary and still trying to make up my mind.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well Gravel is probably the second most to the left (liberal) side of the spectrum, the first being Kucinich :eusa_pray . So it really depends on which side you favor.

And to be honest, i think Obama and Hilary aren't what they are cracked up to be. But if i had to pick one, Hilary seems like a more reasonable choice. At this point ANY democrat is better than a republican. Although i'm probably the least fond of Edwards and Richardson.

6. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I think I would rather choose Obama than Hillary because she doesn't support gay rights and according to what the article said...yeah......we need a gay president! DOWN WITH RELIGIOUS PRESIDENTS!

7. TyraBanksIsFierce

I would vote for Obama because Oprah said so.

8. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because Oprah said so. . .*sigh*

9. Hollywood

Obama Has Only Two Years In The Senate!

I hate how ignorant our younger generation is being by voting for Obama. There is NO WAY, literally NO WAY, that he can run our country off of two years of expirence in the Senate. Compare that to Hillary's 35 years in politics.

Also, I'm sick of people trying the feed me that Obama is for change. Every single president that has ever run, ever, has run on a campaign of change. Except for Reagan who ran for his second term under the slogan "Morning Again in America," implying the prosperity America was expirencing as a result of his first term.

And, Latinokid, while gay rights are important, they aren't the dominant issue right now. And Hillary is all for civil unions, she just isn't for gay marriage. None of the 3 frontrunners are going to allow gay marriage-that is too radical of an idea for our country at this point and there is no way they would get elected. Our country will not survive with a leader with as much inexpirence as Obama. Hillary '08!

#9 Hollywood, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  10. Nodnarb

And that is both good and bad for him. There is the lack of experience debate, but people will counter with the fact the Washington is corrupted so maybe its a good thing he hasn't been there long...

One thing that always annoys me is that there is never any candidate that I can fully support. I will agree with them on many issues, but never all, or not even enough that I can say that they are who I support 100%.

Like I am a liberal in my beliefs on the 'issues' (gay rights, the war), but I have a some-what Republican-ish view on the economy. Honestly tho, I don't think any candidate has a great plan on how to fix the economy and get us out of debt, so I'm just going with who I think is most electable(Obama)and who has the most similar views on the 'issues'.

11. Hollywood

That's the problem right now. People who aren't educated on the issues (i'm not saying that you aren't, i'm making a generality) tend to make their decision based of the likeability of the candidate. Hillary is not able to previal in this area for one simple fact: she is a woman in a tradiationally man's profession. She is the first woman to seriously be considered a canidate for President and is forced to take a forceful and proactive approach (for lack of a better word) which insults many people, especially women. However, if Hillary took the traditional, submissive attitude expected by a lot of America, those men would walk all over her.

And there is no quick fix to the economy. It is literally a country-wide, generation-wide crisis. However, Hillary does have an excellent plan to try and strengthen the middle class and therefore strengthen our economy. You can read about it at www.hillaryclinton.com

12. That's how I am. My social beliefs tend to be liberal but my economic and governmental views tend to be Republican so I can never find anyone I support totally either.

13. Nodnarb

One thing I am hoping for if Obama gets the Democratic nomination is that he chooses a running-mate that does have experience. I do think it will be a HUGE challenge(not impossible tho)for him to take over(partially because of how bad of shape the country is in)and run the country. But if he gets an experienced senator/governor (I'd like to see Vilsack, former Iowa governor. He did a great job here. I wish he had more support, because I think he would have made a good president) it will make the process SO much easier and would help the country in so many ways.

Cheney has made a mockery of the office of Vice President. It has a purpose, and he is NOT fulfililng it. I just hope the Democratic nominee realizes that the VP can actually do something positive for the country and will choose someone qualified.

14. Hollywood

I agree with the Cheney portion. He has tried to change the purpose of VP to the point that it has almost become a co-presidency in some respects. A lot of the decisions Bush has made make him seem to be acting as Cheney's clueless and stupid puppet. Ridiculous.

15. jroakwood

^^i agree with everything hollywood has said.

16. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

To Hollywood, I think it's important for you, and everyone else who doesn't believe in Obama's experience, that Hilary has very little more direct political experience than Obama. She's a senator in a state that is absolutely in love with her husband and she's only held that seat for a few years. She was first lady, but that really isn't a job with any real political influence, and other than that there isn't much. Obviously, she does have more experience than Obama, but honestly there really isn't that much of a real difference.

Also, look at George Bush. He was the Govenor of Texas. Really, the only thing a govenor has to do in Texas is make sure the Second Amendment is upheld and that the Hispanic voters are kept happy. Does anyone remember that embarassing interview he had right before the election in 2000 where he couldnt' answer a SINGLE foreign policy question from the reporter? The only experience he had in government was Texas state government. Obama has had both state and federal experience, and I know Obama would be able to answer any question given to him with an superior response because he's done it over and over again.

All I'm trying to say is that the voters need to look at Obama's stance on the issues and what he's accomplished in those two years, which is probably more than a lot of rookie congressmen. To dismiss someone as intelligent (he was the president of the Harvard Law Review) and hard-working as Obama is for a little lack of comparative experience than the other candidates is RIDICULOUS.

And a little side note. Maybe it's a good thing that Obama has only been in the Senate for two years. He really hasn't had the chance to become a part of the Democratic political machine, and he's probably the best chance to bring about REAL change.

To you TY, you picked probably the two most unlikely to win candidates in the entire race. Kuncinich and Gravel have no chance.

17. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

This also needs to be addressed. Hilary is not liked because she's stone-cold and show's absolutely no emotion. It's not that she is a woman in a man's proffession, obviously people don't care if Obama is the candidate to beat right now. Also, she's a Clinton. How many people want to go back to the Clinton days? Honestly, people are tired of the Clintons, and the Bush family too. I think a lot of people, myself included, are weary of a political dynasty in this country. Four years of Bush 1, 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of Bush 2, 8 years of Clinton....if Clinton gets elected it's going to be more of the same and people know that and are starting to reject the idea.

And the economy's current poor standing isn't really a generation wide problem. The administration let the mortgage crisis get out of control in 2004 and early 2005 with all the subprime loans. Now we need to correct the problem with government regulation, and eventually the housing market will come back and level off. Many financial insitutions are expecting the housing market to hit bottom in October and then start to come back. As for gas being $100, that's not really solveable. OPEC decided to squeeze our supply and hike the price, and I don't think anyone really didn't expect that. But that too can be solved in the short term by increasing domestic output and producing more MPG efficient/hybrid cars, the government just has to make it happen right now and they've failed to do so.

18. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

Hillary Clinton will NEVER be voted as president. I will guarantee you that one right now. Obama all the way...

19. floridaboy1991

I personally don't like Hilary but she does have more experience. Obama seems more friendly to me, but if Hilary got Bill Clinton to be her VP I'd vote for her all the way. Bill Clinton was great. He should be president but politics is about compromise right?

20. Hollywood

The Bill Clinton years really werent that bad. A hell of a lot better then the shitty state our country is in as a result of Bush.

I've had enough politics for tonight though-goodnight EC.