1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work shoes for butch-ish lesbians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, May 11, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have an interview for an internship next week and need to get some "work clothes." I'm a real tomboy - not butch, but close - so I know I can get button up collared shirts and slacks, but I'm worried about the shoes. I would never wear high heels, I've worn some really simple black flats but absolutely hated them, so what else is there for shoes that I can wear that is appropriate for a work outfit? Advice? =)

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

What kind of internship is this, exactly? Because that's going to make a difference. I'm assuming it's some kind of office gig, so you could probably get away with a pair of Sperry shoes or something. I've been wearing a pair of white slip-on boat shoes with my chinos from Ralph Lauren for a while now, but as soon as my first paycheck comes in I'm getting some shoes from here for work. The women's shoes look like flats and wedges mostly, but there are a few different kinds of dressier sneakers in there too. (A lot of the men's shoes could pass for unisex too, by the way.)

Sperry Top-Sider Official Site- Boat Shoes, Sandals, Canvas Deck Shoes, Loafers

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, it's in an office and I'm trying to get an internship for a writing position. I have to look nice for a good impression for the interview, but if I do get the position, I believe the people in that office dress rather casually on a daily basis and I'll be allowed to as well. I just hate feminine shoes for myself. It's both uncomfortable, and I just feel wrong and awkward wearing it. But I feel weird shopping for men's shoes, so I don't know what to do. I'm going to hit the mall tomorrow haha.

4. starfish

Do you know anyone who works there? If so ask them what they think.

I've hired several people and honestly I don't think I've ever looked at their shoes. I know there are people who get hung up on dress, but the people you are interviewing with might or might not be.

Also you mention this is for an internship. So I assume you are in college. They should understand that you might not have money for interview only clothes, as long as they are something low key and nice looking I think you'll be fine.

I know jack about women's shoes, but I've got some Rockports which are very comfortable and nice looking. For me to saw a shoe is comfortable is saying something, as I hate wearing shoes. They were not very expensive. IIRC I paid about $30 for them at DSW.