1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did something stupid, so I thought I'd warn you!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lewis, May 13, 2012.

1. Lewis

If you're really paranoid about people finding out you're gay/bi/lesbian/transsexual at the moment, I really advise that you don't mindlessly open a link to a related article on here whilst being logged into Facebook. I did this and Facebook made me a nice huge status (with pictures) about me reading an article on gay rights.

I know a straight person may be interested in gay rights and I know that some of you aren't really bothered whether people find out or not, but I just wanted to ensure that others know.

I'm not really THAT bothered, but at the time I was like a crazed ninja trying to delete it as fast as possible. I don't want people to find out that way! Imagine being outed by Facebook...

I know this is probably common sense, but I made this mistake! :lol:

2. Mad Man L

It depends whether the website is linked into facebook or not. But be careful with posting comments etc. using your own Facebook account.

3. Lewis

Yeah, I didn't even realise that near the comments part of the article, it displayed my profile picture. Nothing is private these days!

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's the thing about social networks. You gotta be careful of what you do. Once you did something, it can be hard to undo.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'd advise using ghostery which blocks practically all trackers and facebook-like following programs. It also blocks (pop-up) adds.

6. ArcaneVerse

I was under the impression you couldn't have things linked to your page unless you already gave that site or "app" permission?

7. Lewis

I simply opened an article and it then came up on my recent activity and a whole status was made about it. I should have known to be honest. :/

8. cscipio

It's a best practice to close your browser and delete browsing history, cache, and cookies after using Facebook and before using a site which might compromise your position. The deletion of all the browser history can be done automatically through browser settings. By closing the session and re-opening you're pretty well assured that there won't be any link back to facebook.

9. ArcaneVerse

Yes but maybe previously you have opened an article from someone else's fb feed and accepted terms and given permission to an app that will automatically add posts about what articles you have been reading. I know there a few fb apps like this, as I go to read peoples links or watch peoples linked videos and it comes up asking for permission and i always decline because i think its bs.

10. Catkin

The joys of technology!

Something similar happened to me actually. A few months ago I had been listening to a podcast review of a gay book. When my sister downloaded itunes onto my computer the radio station which the podcast came from appeared on itunes. And because I hadn't downloaded any other music yet it was the only thing in itunes. No idea how it happened, since I constantly delete my browsing history.

I was on the family computer while on an LGBT related site when the computer crashed; never been so glad to find out that a laptop was beyond repair.

I was on another LGBT site when my first laptop was attacked by a virus. I wasn't in a position to get it fixed myself and had to give it to my parents, who work with computers. The damage turned out to be so bad though, that it could never be turned on again.

My conclusion: Computers are determined to out me!

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FB constantly changing policies and wanting to give out more and more information is one of the reasons I dumped them. Another was the constant stream of spam FROM them.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really hate it when people post Yahoo News stuff and whatever, because the application always asks if can post stuff on my behalf. No. No you can't post on my behalf.

If you're going to read stuff other people share on Facebook, I recommend copying the text of the title and Googling for it.

13. ArcaneVerse

^this. annoys the shit out of me too lol, thats a good idea though to copy the title.

14. starfish

Seems apropos

[​IMG]

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You win an internet.

16. ArcaneVerse

Lmao XD omg epic love it

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got all my Facebook settings locked down, and I have to go in and lock them down again every so often because Facebook keeps opening them back up.

Additionally, I never use the Facebook news readers, nor do I have *any* facebook applications installed. Like the post Starfish made, I do exactly that... view the articles without installing the facebook reader, turn off all platform applications, and don't give facebook access to *anything.*

It's a little bit more of a pain, but it does preserve privacy a bit better.

18. starfish

Yeah it's from the oatmeal. They have lots of awesome stuff.

19. rx79g

Is anyone slightly scared of their facebook? Call it slight paranoia but between stuff like this and those google ads that read your emails and search queries to direct really specific ads at you I feel stalked.

20. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's times like this that make me happy that I don't facebook