1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your gender define you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by samko, May 13, 2012.

1. samko

Out Status:
    A few people
    Does your gender define you?

In other words: how does the perception of yourself work? When you live your life, when you're alone, when you work or interact with other people,... do you perceive yourself as "just you" or does your gender identity play an important role?
    Whether you are biologically male or female, and whether you identify as male, female, genderqueer (or other), do you perceive yourself through your gender?

As for me, I normally don't think of myself in terms of gender. It's just "me". I only think about it when other people or society force me to. When this happen, I normally identify as androgyne, more towards male, otherwise it's not really important to me.
    I'm wondering if this is common. I asked a few cisgender persons and for the most part they told me they are always aware of being male/female and that they could not think of themselves other than who they are also in terms of gender.

2. ArcaneVerse

I'm the same, I see myself as me. I don't feel like either gender, but i have a penis therefore I'm male. In terms of stereotypes, I have a mix of both genders that include personality traits and likes and dislikes etc. but i don't hold much value in them. So I wouldn't say gender defines me.

Which is probably why I cant fully understand being trans, I don't know how it is to feel like a gender let alone one that I don't appear to be on the outside.

3. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gender doesn't really defy me but then I am confused about my gender right now anyways so you really shouldn't listen to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

No, not really. I just do what I like and what I feel like doing, and damn anyone who wants to rain on my parade. I feel like I tend to gravitate towards female peers and the more stereotypically feminine ideals, but then at the same time I am entering and am very passionate about a traditionally masculine field, law enforcement. If I woke up one day and saw that I was in fact female, I would be happy and ok with that. But I'm very happy as a male, so. It is what it is, I guess.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Only in the way in the biological sense, that is to say I'm comfartable being a guy, have no desire to change my biological gender but wouldn't be troubled by the idea of being a girl, again biologically speaking.
    Socially speaking, I don't identify with any gender or gender role, as you can see in my profile.

6. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not too concerned with whether my gender defines me, really.

7. kem

kem

This this this a million times. Except, well, I'm only attracted to men.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My gender is about as far removed from my personal identity as it can get (hence what I wrote in the gender identity field). I find being labeled as "male" to be very limiting, even claustrophobic (in an abstract way), like if I were ambidextrous and were forced to use my right hand to write when I wanted to be free to use both.

I do still present largely as male, and I don't feel like I was born in the wrong body (again, hence what I wrote in the gender identity field), but I think I present as male mostly out of habit, as if I only wear this role because I've been wearing it my whole life and it suits me well enough that I don't feel the need to shed it entirely (though if it were more acceptable to shed it entirely, I probably would; I mostly keep to the male side of things out of convenience, due to the privilege men have in this society).

9. lilbitlost

Im def female, im a bit of a feminist, so ill go off onto rants with zero warning (even to myself). On a day to day basis though i wouldnt say i think about it much, well except getting dressed, kinda difficult to miss the female bits then :wink:
    However if im in a nervous situation i will instantly become more aware of it (must sit down nicely not just aim myself at chairs and hope).
    So yes i do feel like a woman, but only when i think about it or when its right in front of me. Im also happy to be a woman, dont know if that makes a difference lol.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that it defines me. I am a female but I consider myself pangender. I mostly present as male, but I am fine with my female parts.

I have always gone with the thought that I am who I am and I do not let anybody change that.

11. Aareon

I don't even care about my gender anymore.
    The only time I get uncomfortable is when I'm changing in the girls changeroom. I just have to face the fact that I'm biologically female when filling out forms.

12. shiba

i definitely think about my gender every day -- from feeling a pang of awful anxiety when i worry about how others will read my presentation to feeling disgusted when i look in the mirror before stepping into the shower. it's .. pretty awful to say the least!

i wish i could just be a) a girl, period (ha) or b) able to say i'm a dude! but i'm not either of those things and that makes it all awful hard. some days i'm both, neither, one or the other, and i wish i could pick one and stick with it.

i present very feminine, because i love fashion! but i don't want to be read as "A Girl" and there's no way around that.

yuck, sorry for ranting ):

13. ameliawesome

if you would consider my gender to be androgene, then i guess that does define me. but if you mean specifically my biological/visible gender, then no. i like being female just fine but i feel no strong connection to that fact. if i were to wake up one day to discover my body had become male, i'd be okay with that. when i think of myself i could be male or female, and i like it that way.

also, i find it very interesting when somebody does (occasionally) mistake me for a man, then when they realize i'm a woman they are soooo apologetic even though i assure them i do not mind at all!

#13 ameliawesome, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sex defines me more than I would like it to. I am sure that many women I come into contact with think that I have a problematic masculinity, and so they are always on their guard, not knowing who I really am.

I have a troubled relationship with maleness, and although I would say I am a cisgender man, it took me some questioning to be at peace with it. I publicly reject masculinity, and I like to display positive commonly-thought feminine qualities when I can and none of the negative commonly-thought masculine qualities.

I am who I am, and I take what I can get, but I kinda just hate the gender binary and want it to go die in a fire.

15. Harve

I fail to see how one's gender couldn't play a part in defining them and contribute to their personal identity in some way, no matter how 'typical' or 'atypical' their gender may be.

16. sanguine

my gender is a part of my identity just as much as my sexuality, cultural upbringing, and morals are, it shapes what i do and the way i think, i dont follow all the male stereotypes but most of them are there.

its not that i let being a guy get in the way of defining me, its just like that, and thats just me i guess.

17. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I do feel like so. My uncertain gender "bisexuality" feels like the perfect term to define the me that is changing, double-sided and atypical for a kind of a guy. It's like being milk and tea. :grin:

18. ameliawesome

What a perfect analogy!

19. aeva

I love being a woman. I always have and I always will. I would never want to be a man, mostly because I have so many of the stereotypical qualities and interests that are associated with men, yet I embody them in (very feminine) female form. Nothing feels better to me than wielding power tools while wearing a dress and heels, covered in grease.

So yes, I am usually fairly aware of my gender, because I love that it DOESN'T define me, it doesn't dictate my skills or my interests.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This^