1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about bisexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by super confused, May 15, 2012.

1. super confused

So, I just want to know what everyone on EC thinks about bisexuals and bisexuality in general.

Basically, what stereotypes about bisexuals do you believe are valid (if any)? Just curious...

Personally, I think that bisexuality is valid, and I don't think any of the stereotypes are valid. Other people can be attracted to people with different eye color, hair color, and ethnicity; that same flexibility just reaches to gender for some people... Those people are called bisexuals.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

my girl is bisexual and it dosnt make nay different

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think they are humans as deserving of respect and dignity as everyone else.

4. Jonathan

I just think of it as another form of sexuality. They are just the same as everyone else but attracted to both genders.

5. Valeyard

I came out as bi, and even though I'm rethinking that, I still think it's a valid sexuality. I did kinda fill the stereotype of using bi as a way to transfer, but that's how I accepted myself. I don't think it should apply to anyone else. I don't like to apply any stereotypes to anyone, so I don't look for them. My biggest crush is bi, and I accept that as valid. Whatever makes them happy.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate it when people I've come out to assume I am only attracted to guys

7. Lad123

I consider it normal like straight, gay or lesbian :slight_smile:

8. aeva

Bisexuals are great! I considered myself bi for several years, so I definitely know the hate that can be thrown at bisexuals from all angles, and it's really not fair, especially when it's coming from the LGBT community. As dewthulu said, I sort of used it as a transition stage, which in itself is a stereotype, although I thoroughly believe that I WAS bi at the time and my sexuality has just evolved since then.

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've known way too big of a variety of self-identified bisexual people to make any generalizations about them. They're people; there's not much more to say about it.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I sometimwa come out to people as bi, because pansexuality isn't really known around here.
    And imo they aren't really that different.
    The stereotypes are ridiculous, though the only one I've encountered so far is that they don't exist.

11. starfish

I have a close friend who is bi. It sucks to see the way people treat him.

The way I see it, if it makes you happy great.

12. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wasn't James Dean bi?

That automatically makes them the coolest people in the world by association.

13. Vesper

It's just as valid as all the other sexual orientations...and the stereotypes, as with pretty much all stereotypes, are not at all accurate.

14. sguyc

I think it would be very hard. I would find it hard to maintain a long term relationship if you never got to touch half of your sexual spectrum.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Do you find it hard that you never get to touch all the other men, when you're in a relationship?

16. Vabrug

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think people should be happy. I say I'm bi. I had a 5y relationship and he drived me crazy. Now, I mostly look at women. It's not all the time I wanna be with a guy. Dunno.

What's pansexual??? I've seen a lot of terms here in EC that I never heard before. Can anyone explain them to me?

17. Mogget

"Pansexual" was coined because it was felt that the term "bisexual" excluded people who do not identify as male or female.

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Being bisexual doesn't mean you have to have attractions to both genders at the same time or the whole time. It just means you can be sexually attracted to both.
    Don't worry about it.

It's mainly about semantics and interpetations.
    Strictly speaking, bisexual means you are only attracted to men and woman. This excludes transgender, transsexual, a-gender, hermaphrodites and androgynous people.
    Pan-sexual on the other hand means you can be attracted to any gender. A more elaborate interpretation of pan-sexuality is that you don't really see gender but get attracted to people.

I myself get attracted to people primarily through romantic attraction instead of sexual attraction. Some people call this demi-sexual, but to me that's even more unclear than pan-sexual, so I identify as pan.

As I explained before though, most people I know are only aware of bisexuality, not pan, so I often come out as bisexual because I don't want to have to give a whole lecture every time I come out and imo the two are practically identical, especially since a lot of bisexual people say they are also attracted by non strict gender people.

Sorry for the long read, I just wanted to be as clear as possible.

19. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, at first when I knew I wasn't straight, I figured OK Bi but not gay, this is what I told myself for years, even though I am only attracted to guys. I even told a few of my closest friends that I was bi. Then far down later the line I've come to the realization ::bang: I NEVER DATED A GIRL IN MY LIFE!!!! so I came to the natural conclusion GAY (!)

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the reason I identify as bisexual. People around here would be way too confused if I tried telling them I'm pansexual or demisexual.