1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving in with friends=friendship killer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Atticus, May 16, 2012.

1. Atticus

I'm sure many of you have heard that if you move into an apartment or something with your friends it will ruin the friendship. My sister has presented this argument to me as a way to deter me from moving in with one of my friends and her two friends. To me, this logic is the same as saying "if you move in with your partner, you and your partner will break up." What do you guys think about this?

2. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's one thing to stay with friends over the weekend or during holidays, but it's entirely different when staying together like for a year. the more people that share the place, the less privacy you'll have. there are different personalities living under one roof for a long time. fights and squables are bount to break out now and again.

on the other hand if your personalities click together, it can be awesome!

3. Yeah, honestly, it really depends on the friend. There are some people who I am very good friends with who I would never move in with.

But seriously, the thing about having a roommate that you're friends with is that you are going to have to talk about what is and is not expected to happen in your living situation. If you have differing opinions about your apartment rules, but you never talk about them, it can most definitely negatively impact your friendship.

But if you set ground rules and everybody involved knows what's what, then you'll probably be just fine.

4. gothdoll

gothdoll Guest

well i was living with my friend for a while and now we're enimmes. i lived with another friend for a while and we're still best friends, so it all depends.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had friends move into a shared house with me many times over the past years. Only once or twice has it ever been an issue... but a lot of that depends on how good the communication is between everyone, and in particular, how clearly things are communicated *before* you move in together. As long as everyone is clear up front on what the expectations are, and can be open and honest and share what they are feeling when problems arise (and they definitely will!), then resentment and problems shouldn't develop. In some cases, I think it can actually make the friendship better.

The only times I've had issues is when people weren't good at communicating.

6. RebelD

You have to set limits and rules. You have to respect each other and sometimes you're just going to have to be the lesser man. If the other person also tries, then you should be fine. My roommate and I are good friends and we try to keep it that way. Been roommates for about a year now and we haven't had one fight. But you should be cautious, don't risk a friendship. Good luck with your decision

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend (and crush) moved in with me for the summer last year, and he drove me crazy. He's great in small doses, but being around him all the time was completely different. I couldn't wait for him to leave. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Living with a friend isn't necessarily bad for your friendship as long as communication is good. This means both being honest with and listening to each when there is a problem. Be clear about expectations from the start, including the fact that communication is essential.

9. Jonathan

From personal experience and from seeing other people, whenever friends move in together, there is bound to be some fighting and arguing over things. Despite being friends, when are you living with another person, there are going to be little things that they do that annoy you and vice versa. As other people have already said, it's important to have good communication, so that when things like this come up you can compromise with one another about them.