1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Flicka1993, May 16, 2012.

1. Flicka1993

My mom's friend said that the only way to know that your a lesbian,is to have an adult incounter?I don't think that is true even though I have never kissed or had sex with anyone.But I did explore with my best friend when I was 10.She said thats too young to know and to have sexual feelings.It pisses me off cause I struggled with this when I was 14.That was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life.I got very depressed and had to get help.I'm 19 now and I am pretty sure this is not a phase.For those of you that are reading please put your thoughts on this.

2. Lad123

Whatever you feel just believe in yourself. You don't need to be in a relationship or have sex to confirm whether you're gay or lesbian. Don't worry about the uneducated people out there :slight_smile:

3. Vanille

You totally don't have to have an 'adult encounter' to know if you are a lesbian or not. I would've asked her "Did you have to have sex with a guy to confirm that you were straight?" (assuming that she is straight, yes?) I'm pretty sure she just knew she what she was just like you know what you are. But don't worry about what she thinks darling, you know yourself better than anyone else.

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only sexual experience I have has been making out with a girl in high school, but I knew before that when I was about 12. Granted acceptance took a while but that is another story

5. Fiddledeedee

Some people know or suspect their orientation from when they're 7. Some people don't begin to question until they;re 30. Some people experiment with both sexes to figure themselves out. Some people know without ever doing that.

Personally, I've never done anything sexual or even kissing, and I don't want to for now, but I'm certain that I'm attracted to girls. You don't need encounters to work out your sexuality, but for some people it helps. Good luck with figuring yourself out. :slight_smile:

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sexuality is attraction, not an act.
    I've never had sex with anyone, yet I know who I get attracted to.
    With all due respect to your mom's friend's talking bullshit.

7. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I knew I was gay without needing a relationship to tell me, 'cause I was just attracted to girls. It's attraction, not like, an actual thing you do, like Linthras said. Your mom's friend needs some educating. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. timo

This. 100% this.

9. Eleanor Rigby

I never needed any "adult encounter" to know I'm straight and I doubt your mum's friend needed it either. I don't see why this would be any different for gay people.
    You only know how you're feeling toward men and women and if you think you're gay, that's very likely because you are gay.
    I'd say, don't bother about your mom's friend opinion and follow your instinct. You know better than anyone who you're attracted to and if you're attracted to women that's 100% fine.

Take care, Cécile

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

One a funny note, you could turn this around: How does your mother's friend know he/she's straight if he/she has never been with an adult of the same sex before?

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You dont need to have had any kind of encounter to know you are gay or straight, unfortunately it is quite common that people think that.

12. GayJay

Yeah i think you can defiantly know before having sex or anything. Like you know how you feel but i think having the experiences does help you in backing up what you know.

13. Flicka1993

Thanks everyone for the reply!I had to put this out there because I find it really aggravating that people think thats the only way to know and it's not.I have tried to educate her on this but she won't listen.So I'm not going to keep wasting my breath on her!

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Some people never learn.
    What's important is that you know who you are.
    What others claim or think you are is their problem, not yours.

15. Hmmmmm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You do NOT have to be physically intimate with someone to know what your sexual orientation is. Attraction is primarily a mental thing for most people anyway.

16. Ianthe

Not only do you not have to have sex to know your orientation, in most cases it won't really help.

Sexual orientation is about who you are attracted to. It is usual to know who you are attracted to BEFORE having sex with them. It would be a very strange way of finding out. You should really be sure that you want to have sex with someone before you do it--and if you already know you want to have sex with someone, actually having the sex is not going to give you any more information.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a really stupid view, and parents express it all the time. My mom despite being accepting asked me that. Nobody asks straight people how they know they're straight if they haven't screwed anyone to the floor yet.