1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attraction to muscles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zaio, May 17, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC.

Couldn't see where else this would go as it's more of a scientific/biological question but hopefully here will do.

Why are so many gay guys attracted to at least some muscle? Whether it be abs, big arms, strong back, overall very muscular or whatever floats your boat.

I think I read somewhere that women are attracted to muscle because instinct makes them pick a partner that will be suitable for protecting their future offspring, not to say they don't fall in love with people who aren't muscular, but that's what the base attraction is there for.

I don't suppose it's possible that gay guys simply have that female trait, as well as being attracted to men, is it?

I'm a person who loves to know how everything in the world works, and I'm not too sure why muscles are attractive, currently it makes no sense why a hot muscular guy would cause our brain's synapses to release neurotransmitters and signals for hormones to be secreted.

Thanks to all who respond :slight_smile:

2. BudderMC

For me personally, I've got two reasons:

1) In the relationship, I'd like to be the one who gets swept up romantically by the attractive, masculine guy. And the "knight in shining armour" is usually pretty well-built. It just falls under the "romance" stereotypes.
    2) A guy who's pretty built indicates to me that he takes care of himself, which is always a good thing.

That being said, I don't know if I'm necessarily attracted to muscles that much. I mean, there's exceptions to every rule, but generally they aren't my first pick. But I can still want someone who fulfills 1) and 2) but isn't muscle-bound :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Lad123

I think muscles give guys an image of being masculine, and most gays prefer masculine guys rather than effeminate ones. I'm not saying all gays think like this though as there are some who don't mind.

4. BudderMC

^ oh yeah, to add, it's completely societally-driven. At least in North America (compared to other places, like maybe Asia) the attractiveness of a guy is largely dictated by how "masculine" he looks. Blame it on evolution, or the media, or whatever, but what it boils down to is that society dictates what we think we want. It's up to us to know what we actually want :slight_smile:

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats exactly what it is.

/thread.

6. timo

I honestly don't care for muscles, I don't find it attractive in any way. But I'm not into super masculine guys anyway.

7. Emberstone

muscles take effort, and a person willing to work for something is translated into the hope that they would be willing to work hard to grow a relationship.

I have always been attracted to muscular guys, mainly because I have always longed to be more muscular (and am becoming so, though my workout went out the window for play rehersals, so I am basically in holding pattern/losing body fat at the moment while we finish our final three preformances this week).

8. Emberblaze

I'm not head over heels for a muscular guy, ya know, I don't necessarily want a guy that's ripped to the max and can crush a brick into dust just by sneezing.

I like somewhat strong arms though, cuz I kinda always wanted to be the guy that's, in layman's terms, the 'woman of the relationship'.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too am the one who wants a knight in shining armour type I'll admit. But often I do notice that type doesn't want someone like me who is not fat...but i do have a slight gut and you know the muscular, they want muscular themselves often -_-

But yeah, I'd often take this:
    [​IMG]

before going with this:
    [​IMG]

Nothing against the latter (minus the Twilight aspect lol) but I want defined abs and him to be able to maybe lift me at least over the threshold, than someone who is skinnier than me with not a lot of muscle. But that's just how I am *blush*

10. Ianthe

Men are more muscular than women, generally. So having big muscles is a secondary sex trait, like women having breasts or men having stronger jaw lines. (Note that all of these things are traits that develop at puberty.)

It's normal to have an attraction to the secondary sex traits of the sex that you are attracted to. In fact, it's pretty much necessary, since the genitals (the "primary" sex feature) are usually hidden.

Of course, people vary a lot in terms of which particular traits are most important to them.

11. Marlowe

I get the sense that you are thinking about evolutionary biology. I love being an arm chair scientist and after thinking about this a little bit, here is my two bit theory: Sexual attraction is about strengthening the genetic pool. For heterosexuals, this is clearly about producing strong offspring. For homosexuals, it is not as clear as to how this is played out. If you subscribe to my favorite evolutionary biology theory about why homosexuality persists despite being a trait that specifically is unlikely to be passed: the gay uncle theory, then you might interpret the role of gays and providers and protectors. Those that are strong are more likely to be providers and protectors and thus through sexual attraction and bonds you are able to get another strong male to join your ranks and provide for your offspring, thus improve their fitness and ability to survive.

12. Young Anonymous

I think it IS because they have the female attraction basis. I mean if you turn it around, straight men are supposed to be attracted to women with breasts because they will be better suited to feeding their children, so why are lesbians attracted to breasts?

13. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Out of all the answers other than to be a provider, this is the only logical answer that seems like it could be correct, I'm not too sure about the whole knight in shining armor thing, sure we can change what type of person we are attracted to (not referring to orientation) over time, but we can't change our instincts on who to be attracted to, and I see no biological answers for that having an instinctual purpose.

Thanks for contributing guys :slight_smile:

14. Lewis

Just like straight men are attracted to breasts, I find muscles visually and physically attractive.

15. Azza

I like it if they're though but I'm not bothered if they aren't, for me it's mostly about the face

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they're though? Did you mean tough?

17. NemesisPrime

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weird, because I prefer the latter over the former. I'm not muscular and have a slight gut myself. I prefer some meat on the bones so when we cuddle he can hold me in his strong arms and reassure me when I have bad dreams. :icon_bigg

18. Azza

If they're there, though* haha

19. Jon56

Well muscles are usually a sign of good health (not that having muscles makes you healthy), and if you look at it in terms of evolution, you would want to be attracted to people who are healthy/able to take care of themselves in order to produce healthy offspring

20. Just Passing

I've never really understood the appeal or attraction to muscles. Granted, they're nice and everything, but they're not the most amazing thing ever. That being said, muscles do show that the individual is fit and healthy, so I appreciate muscles in that sense and I guess it adds a little bit of curve to the body.

Still what would I know? :astonished: