1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook "interested in": The poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaurieAnderson, May 17, 2012.

?

How do you list your "interested in" on facebook?

1. I'm straight and I have my "interested in" filled out correctly

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. I'm straight and I do not have my "interested in" filled out

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. I am openly gay or bisexual and have my "interested in" filled out correctly

47 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. I am openly gay or bisexual and do not have my "interested in" filled out

35 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. I am a closeted gay or bisexual and have my "interested in" filled out incorrectly

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. I am a closeted gay or bisexual and do not have my "interested in" filled out

55 vote(s)
    34.6%
  7. I do not have facebook

7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. LaurieAnderson

People debate whether or not leaving your "interested in" status on facebook blank indicates your sexuality. I know this is fairly sensitive and debated. However, I find myself interested in the statistics, and I figured asking a gay forum where plenty of people are still closeted and plenty of people are not might indicate any facts or fictions behind this matter. I think a lot of people, not only me, are interested!

Please tell us what you voted, too!

Edit: if there's any poll choices you think I'm missing, please tell me!

#1 LaurieAnderson, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. Level75

The third one.

3. super confused

I never voted in any poll, but my "interested in" is men and women. But I think that there should be more options.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just changed my interested in the other day. I used to have "Interested in men and women". It is now "interested in women".

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Openly gay, but it's not filled out. To be honest, it's because I haven't bothered. :eusa_danc

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gay and it says so.

7. Harve

I doubt many people actually look at that section. I imagine if I changed it, it would take months for a member of my extended family to find out (unless it came up on my feed).

Mine is blank and has been since I got Facebook in 2008 or so - I felt kinda brave as it hadn't been long since I realised I was gay myself, and I was paranoid that leaving it blank would be a "sign" and get me outed or something stupid, but not calling myself straight is one sign of admittance. Only my stalkers (what stalkers?) would see it, surely!

8. Lad123

Im gay and not out but leave my 'interested in' blank :slight_smile:

9. dreamcatcher

I don't have my interested in filled out but I also don't have my relationship status, the about me section, or any other information filled out in that section except for the fact that I'm female. So I doubt anyone would be remotely suspicious. Besides most people know I don't really use facebook much anyways.

10. RedState

Unrelated, but the manager of my trust got me in on the IPO of Facebook, so hate me even more :slight_smile:

But..it would really suck for me if it tanked tomorrow.

#10 RedState, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. Ianthe

I am out, and out on Facebook, meaning my Interested in is filled out correctly.

The "interested in" and relationship status features are actually of extreme interest in a lot of cases on Facebook. People actually are dying to know that stuff about people, in a lot of cases where it would be weird to ask (i.e., you have just met someone). So, people do look at it. Probably not your family or long-time friends so much.

I wanted to point out that you don't have a category for "I'm straight but my interested in is listed as gay because me and my bestie think it's HILARIOUS to be fake-married on Facebook." People do that.

If the person is a big Facebook user (they use it a lot) and they are youngish, and apparently single, not having their interested in filled out may be an indicator of not being straight. Mainly because, if you are at all interested in dating, not filling it out is kind of odd for a young single person. It's such an easy way to give potential suitors the idea that you are available.

(The person who is most likely to look at this section of your profile is anyone who might be interested in dating you. Followed by anyone who isn't a straight person: I look at pretty much everyone's "interested in," because I like knowing who is "family.")

12. Hmmmmm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have two main profiles on facebook-- one I use for family and on that one I do not have it filled out because my family doesn't know. But on my other one, it is filled out correctly because the people on it do know.

13. Ridiculous

I see there is only one other cool person on here who does not use Facebook :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

14. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm closeted and have it so no one can even see my interested in section. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a facebook account (but hardly ever use it because that website sucks..its slow as hell)
    I left 'interested in' blank

16. Level75

To be fair, after I changed it to "Interested in: Men", I blocked off certain people from seeing it.

One thing I'm rather annoyed by. Prior to changing it, most of the ads I got were things that were video game-related. Most of that was going by what my "Likes" were, of course. After changing it, some of those started becoming underwear ads or "Get ripped!" ads.

I was tempted to just leave it blank when that happened.

17. julia

I am (mostly) closeted and I don't have my internest in shown, so I'm not lying to anyone really.

18. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Mine actually didn't change. As I know, Facebook listed the "interested in" before as a medium for looking for friends, not really as serious as attraction. When it changed, I still kept it. It's better be true than nothing :slight_smile:

19. Yeah, my ads used to not be all like, "MEET LESBIAN SINGLES" and "Blahblablah gay things!" buuuuuuut since I came out, they are.

I'm out to anyone who's friends with me on fb. Most of my profile is private to those who I'm not friends with, but I generally have to have a pretty good reason to not accept friend requests, so I'm most def. out to anyone who looks.

20. HunterN95

I am open to telling anyone, but I'm the fourth one.