1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every man is gay to a certain degree?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bryan90, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bryan90

I was just reading about homosexuality during the classical - middle age. This is what I found:

"According to Edward Gibbon, writing in 1776, of the first twelve emperors [of Rome] only Claudius was exclusively involved with women."
    "Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants..."

Does this support the notion that every guy is at least to a certain degree attracted to the male body? But contemporary evidences seems to disprove this.

What do you guys think?

2. Ty

Ty Guest

I think its better to say "Everybody's bisexual to a certain degree"
    to quote someone's old signature :wink:

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

But what about homophobics?? I mean the extreeeme ones

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I would say that everyone, to a varying degree is bisexual. Or in a more "proper" way to explain it, interested in both sexes.

I think Dr. Alfred Kinsey's work can be accredited for this finding. Not so much the texts you have referenced.

Just because they speak as they do, does not bear testament to how they are on the inside. :icon_wink
    I think many people will say homophobes are more times likely than not, individuals who struggle with sexuality themselves.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    o0o, this brings up the whole sociology debate i had a few months ago. Tis one of the things that lead onto my rant on people assuming you're heterosexual.

I would say it depends on what you class as somebody being bisexual. Some males would not have any interest in sex with another man, but others may be curious by it. If you class it as curious then i think everybody would fall under it. For homophobes to be homophobic then they have to think of how "sick" it is. :wink:

I would think most people may be bi-curious, but either social attitudes are stopping them from noticing it or they think that the aims for that certain group is higher than they imagine. It really depends on what you would class on being bisexual behaviour before you put them in there. You could say that they are bi-curious if they think other guys look good but don't want to have sex with them, whereas i could say they're only bi-curious if they're interested in a one-off sexual encounter with a guy.

6. Bryan90

Yeah, I think that's a better title too. Can the mods change it?

7. Bevo

Bevo Guest

I think most cases of homophobia come from religious extremism (Homosexuality is punishable by death in many muslim and African countries) and evangelical christians also have a long history of homophobia.

As religion developed away from the free pagan religions of the ancient periods and developed into christianity and Islam people saw homosexuality as wrong and immoral. (homosexuality was sanctioned as a mental disease until 1973)

But Theorists have suggested that homophobia can be rooted in an individual's fear of being identified as gay.At least one study indicates that homophobia in men is correlated with insecurity about masculinity and the 'Butch' image.

8. Wired106

Ya, I really do think that's true but it is not as noticeable now because more and more people are following society and don't want to appear gay or be made fun of for their actions. I know some close friends of mine that do stuff that seems like they are gay but they are really straight.

9. Jim1454

I've often said that i think sexuality is a continuum between 100% straight and 100% gay. I don't think many people fall at one extreme or the other. I think everyone has the ability to find someone of the same sex attractive - whether they want to admit is another thing.

10. Alexander

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was interesting. :grin:

Tis unusual for me to read something that long. That article should feel honoured. :sunglasses:

12. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not so sure about this...

Try and think of it from the other side of the fence aswell. I'm gay, but I've never found a women attractive, and I can't really imagine myself ever finding a women attractive, so why should straight people ever be attracted to the same sex?

I do see the point you're making though, there are probably a lot more Bisexual people in the world than we think, but I don't think EVERYONE is.

13. Jim1454

This is what I was getting at though. I also consider myself to be gay (as you do) yet I was married for 9 years and never really had a problem having sex with my wife. So obviously I'm more 'hetro' than you are, but yet I wouldn't consider myself bi. I have no interest in pursuing another relationship with a woman. I know now that I entered that relationship just because I thought I was supposed to - not becaues that's what I (deep down) really wanted.

So someone that identifies themself as 'straight' might very well have some attraction to the same sex - just like I have some attraction to the opposite sex.