1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseball caps

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, May 20, 2012.

1. BudderMC

'Sup!

So, I bought a baseball cap yesterday, because I saw it, and it fit my head, and my new-ish hairstyle (different from the last 18 years...) now allows me to wear one without it looking absolutely stupid.

And before anything else, I know I should wear it because I want to, and how I want to, and all that. So I'm gonna wear it. Though I'd like to avoid looking like a complete douchebag, ideally :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BUT, outta curiousity, does someone wearing a cap mean anything in particular to you? I'm going stereotypes, first impressions, whatever. Wearing it forward, backwards... sideways? Curved/flat beak? Etc.

And yeah, I'm probably thinking about this waaaay too much. But hey, it's Chit-Chat, so why not?

2. rx79g

Sideways just looks dumb to me. It really all depends on what is on the hat, e.g. A sports team makes one look like a superfan/jock, or one for Jon Deere makes one look a little redneck. Those are just stereotypes, for the record. What's on your hat? Btw, if you like it than don't give a crap what it looks like, people that know you will understand.

3. secretguyX

What kind of hat is it? I agree, sideways just looks stupid. Forwards is always a good way to go. Backwards can be good, but it also can make you look like you're trying too hard. I prefer when people wear it flat-beaked, but any way is really fine.

4. FJ Cruiser

Flat bills and/or sideways looks stupid to me. Otherwise, caps add an air of masculinity that I really like. One time I was hanging out with my special guy friend (not exactly dating), and when I went in to kiss him, I turned his cap around so the the bill didn't get in the way. It was so hot/romantic to me.

5. King

King Guest

It depends on what's on the hat!
    Flat beak and worn straight indicates to me that the wearer doesn't care about the hat... Flat beak/worn sideways looks gangsta and not in a good way.
    Backwards to me makes me think a guy is sorta busy, like he just finished playing baseball or fixing his car so he turned his hat around.
    I personally don't wear hats, but when I do, the beak is bent completely to serve its purpose. :slight_smile:

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, when I wear one, I wear it as it was intended: to keep the sun out of my eyes. So right side forward, with the fabric touching my head at all points, beak bent.
    If the beak is in the way, I'll usually take it off, but I'm not against waring it backwards while busy.

I also prefer that in other people: a certain disregard for fashion is actually something I find attractive.

All other ways of wearing (sideways, kind of balanced on top of the back of the head, flat beaks, backwards without a good reason to) kind of make me wonder why the wearer is going to such lengths to present a certain image (and that's not a good thing), as none of them look natural to me.

7. Ridiculous

What's up with those people that wear them with those big, round stickers on them? Is there some significance with that.. because it looks weird.

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wearing the cap with the peak to the front or the back is fine, kinda sexy, daring and adventurous. Wearing it side ways, in my opinion makes the people look dumb, uneducated and like a junky!

9. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Initially it was a status symbol. At the time that became popular fitted hats were in style. The sticker has the size of the hat and proves that it's authentic. It also makes it appear new. It's was all just to show people that you can afford a nice hat. Then some people who didn't care about any of that started doing it as well just because it's in style.

Personally I prefer flat to curved. But that may just be because only people I ever see wearing curved are rednecks and that's not a group I find particularly attractive.

By the way, I see everyone calling it a "beak". I had no idea anyone called it that. Around here it's a "bill".

10. BudderMC

It's something like an upside-down "fleur de lis", probably the logo for some clothing brand that I've never heard of. It's not overly large or prominent, which is why I didn't mind it (and hey, it looks kinda cool I supposed). Mostly I chose it because beyond it fitting well, it was a nice dark grey, which I liked.

Heh, my grandma called it a beak when we went to visit her after I picked it up, so I just assumed that was what it was called xD. Come to think of it, I don't really know what else I would've called it... probably a lip or something :/