1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crying feels good.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcherySet, May 21, 2012.

1. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

This is kind of a 2 in 1 thread. After a long weekend of partying, drinking and a somewhat uncomfortable situation (separated by only a wall between my straight crush and a close girlfriend he had been flirting with) I was finally forced to deal with the feelings that I had thought I had dealt with weeks ago (but in reality just buried under a rug) after listening to them get it on.

I plugged my ears with headphones and tried my best to forget it, but the walls were thin, my emotions were high, the house was stifling hot and after some time I just bailed out and took the long sobering walk home. I've spent the day rationalizing, bargaining and trying to tell myself I'll be alright and I haven't ruined my awesome friendship with him. I spoke with both of them to ensure them I'm not jealous or angry (and I'm not), but I did have to accept the fact that he is completely unavailable sexually/romantically to me.

Now after some sappy ballads, and some crying, I feel so much better. It's been a long time since I cried, and it feels great to get it all out. Now I've put our friendship on hiatus until I can completely deal with the feelings I let creep into my heart. He's fine with giving me some space and waiting until I'm in a better place to be his friend. I kind of wish I cried it all out months ago, but it took until this for me to really face it.

I know I will always feel something for him (because he is amazing on so many levels) but I also realize that feeling as strongly as I do is not conducive to a healthy, happy friendship, and that's something that he is still willing to give me, even after months aboard my emotional roller coaster, and the confession that I kind of fell in love with him.

So when do you cry? And do you always feel better afterwards?

#1 ArcherySet, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  2. Drakey

I never cry ever. Not because I'm not too tough to cry or I have no reason to cry, I just can't. I used to cry when I was younger but people always used to tell me to shut up and deal with my own problems, so maybe that's a reason why I can't do it :/

3. needshelp

i feel your pain, bro. :tears: i haven't been able to let myself cry since i was 14 because i basically trained myself to do that. i thought that it was an unmanly thing to do and i'm paying for it now.

4. phliper12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i cry all the time... randomly... heck, I just cried today... but I think it is because of the major depression.

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do cry, but I am going through alot right now, although I don't tell anyone that I do it. But I do feel better afterwards

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great to cry, and to be able to cry. For those of you who have trained yourself out of it... you can regain access to that if you try. And the bonus is, when you suppress one emotion, such as grief, you also suppress joy and everything good. So it's not a good plan in the long term.

ArcherySet, I know it's hard experiencing what you are going through, but you're doing yourself a great service by doing it, and even more so by being open enough to talk about it. :slight_smile:

7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crying is an emotion, many people including me cry. It helps you to release all that negative emotions, those that are threatening to overwhelm you. After you've done crying, it kinda feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel. It feels like you've shed a heavy burden. Crying is actually a good thing. Never be ashamed of your tears. They mean something to you. They represent all those bottled up emotions that wants to come out. It represent a bit of darkness that is leaving your soul.

8. Dalmatian

I used to be almost unable to cry. I remember crying when I was around 15 and then maybe at 25 or something like that. It's really horrible. I mean, I wanted to cry, but I just couldn't. Now, in the last year or two, I've been sort of forcing myself and it still feels it's not enough. I can shed a tear or two, but nowhere near the state I get into. But it's getting better, in a year or so I might even be able to cry uncontrollably. That's the thing actually. No matter how I feel, at the moment I am able not to cry. And it really shouldn't be that concious I think.

On the other hand, I completely understand that straight crush problem you are having. Well, come to think of it, there's a lot of people around here who personally understand that.

I told my probably best friend I was in love with him, I spoke to his girlfriend about it, he knows everything, she knows everything. I told him and her that I was jealous of the two of them (well her really) and I told him that I was jealous of more or less anyone who spends any time with him. He understands and accepts that and she's trying to help. They are fine with it because they know I can't really do much about it. However, with time I was the one who was feeling worse and worse till finally I couldn't take it any more and I said I needed to distance myself from him. Now that was incredibly tough. Months later, I am only marginally better and I miss him and when I see him I feel horrible still, but I know it would be far worse if I remained close.

Well, hopefully it will be better for you.

9. Just Passing

Crying does feel good. Admittedly, crying too much can become unbearable, but a cry every once in a while is a good feeling and it does cleanse any major emotion that you felt previously.

10. ok455

Welcome to my summer last year, I had this strong strong crush on this guy whom i thought was gay by the attention he gave me. Make a long story short him and my former best friend and i used to hang out and she had me believing she was going to help me out with him. And one night she hooked up with him and eventually dated him later it led to so much drama and me crying like a baby. It sucks crying i had to hide it and i would just bust out and cry out of random. I was so mad and angry and depressed when we hung out i go in the bathroom and cry. They broken up eventfully and he stopped talking to me. He blamed everything on me. Me and the girl tried to repair our friendship trying to make it like the old days but it didn't help at all it wasn't the same anymore so i told her i couldn't be her friend anymore and we stopped talking 6 months ago is the last time we talk and hung out. Best feeling in the world

Sorry for the long reply but i have to say straight or gay. Its going to really put a strain on your friendship with the both of them.if you need to leave them alone for a while go for it.

#10 ok455, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  11. Mad Man L

I went through a similar thing, albeit the male was just my straight crush and the female my closest female friend.

I didn't cry, namely because I'm reluctant to draw attention to my problems. I sometimes really wish I could cry, but I can't (I still could if I wanted to). That could explain the large amount of emotions I seem to feel that I have bottled up inside me.

12. MikesHeath

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Crying always feels good dude. You should let the things that are inside you go and emotions speak. At last you will feel better.

13. super confused

Me, too. I used to get made fun of and told I was weak for crying, so when I would cry, I'd claw my eyes until the tears were dry. And now, when I cry, my eyes sting, so I can't do it. I am getting better about it, because crying is proven to be good for you. So, if you are determined to be able to cry, you can get over that kind of conditioning.

14. Vesper

I HATE crying, because it makes me feel weak and ridiculous. I don't just hate being emotional in front of others; I also can't stand being emotional while alone.

Sadly, I've found that in the past few years, I've been more prone to emotionality than before. This is probably due to changes in my life that I wasn't (and still aren't) ready to deal with.

15. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I feel for those of you who are in a similar situation. Honestly though, I'm beyond jealousy or anger. For a long time I was afraid he would get with a girl who was crazy, selfish, possessive (like the last girlfriend he told me about, and apparently she caused him to lose friends) and she would take him away from me. I actually knew her for a while, but it was before they dated. Funny how life is like that.

Since this is a mutual friend that he's interested in, I don't have this fear. Jealousy and anger are emotions that are going to help me in this situation. I'm going to miss him, but hopefully when I'm all cried out and thinking more rationally about what he can give me, I can simply be a better friend.

I'm also rediscovering my love of sappy, heart wrenching ballads. "Fear" by Sarah McLachlan will wring the tears out of you. I'm actually kind of having fun just crying it out. For those of you who say you cannot cry, I bet you can if you just let yourself.

#15 ArcherySet, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  16. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't cry often, but when I do, it just feels so good. Last night I bawled my eyes out for the first time in a long time, and to be honest, I wish I could do it more often.

17. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

In a way crying makes me feel good, but it also makes me feel worse for being so weak...

18. RebelD

I don't cry often and NEVER in front of others. Can handle things on my own. Unfortunately, crying makes me feel even worse.

19. rainbowfox

first i should say i experienced same feelings toward a straight friend, for about 6 months i was really blue, but now, i accepted who i am and who he is, some times old i remember those feelings and affection and it's kinda painful but i try to look at as an old memory.

And now about crying, crying is a great relief, i don't just cry when i'm sad, i cry even when i'm happy too or when i'm really affectionate toward something. some times when i'm really down and don't knew why, i find some thing, a piece of music or movie or something like that, which make me cry and after that i do really feel better.

20. Level75

Probably the tragedy of being very pragmatic. I seemed to have trained myself out of crying because it's not as if crying is going to solve my problem anyway. If there is one thing my parents consistently instilled on me, it's that no matter how bad my problems seemed, somebody else in the world always had it worse.

I mean, hey. I never had to worry about not having food on the table. I always had a roof over my head and clothes on my back. I was going to a good school. There are people out there who can't say any of that. What did I have to cry about?

Now that I'm reading this thread, I wonder if I'm really missing out. Because along with that, I can't even remember the last time I was so happy I could hardly contain my excitement. I feel pretty numb to a lot of experiences now. And I'm thinking back on all those times I have said to myself things like, "I should be happier, but for some reason, I'm not."