1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people perceive your orientation correctly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nathan, May 21, 2012.

?

Do people perceive you orientation correctly

1. They are almost always always completely shocked

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. They have some suspicions, but it usually comes a surprise

30 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Some do, some don't.

18 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. They aren't entirely sure, but they usually guess at the truth.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. They always know exactly what my orientation is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I've been coming out to a bunch of my friends lately, and a few of them have acted extremely surprised that I was gay. One girl who had a crush on me actually started crying right in front of me :icon_sad:. I guess I hadn't realized it before, but nobody actually ever perceived me as gay before I told them. One of my other gay friends came out a while back, and nobody was surprised at all, but for some reason no one even suspected it of me. I was wondering how common this was for other people; do people easily pick up on your orientation before you tell them, or does it come as a complete shock?

2. Drakey

no xD I had one girl say "you're not gay, you don't seem gay!!". which sucks, I wish I could be gayer so that other gay guys would know I was when seeing me :frowning2: But alas, I am a straight-acting gay person xD

3. TheGreyMan

everyone I know who I've told didn't expect it except for family members

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm very vocal and open about my sexuality, so people aren't exactly surprised these days when they find out. Back when I wasn't so eager to share it with the world, though, exactly one person figured it out before I told him (and he has a super-human ability for reading people, so he almost doesn't count). Even since I started wearing rainbow paraphernalia on my book bag, talking about it openly on Facebook, wearing shirts about it, and all sorts of other jazz, the memo hasn't quite reached everyone, and I've still caught some people off-guard with the news. And never have I ever gotten an "I knew it!" or "I kinda suspected," reaction. They are always, "I never would have guessed."

It always intrigued me how people say, "I never would have guessed," or "I never suspected," as if that's a compliment, as if I've been trying to keep it on the down-low (hah!) and they're congratulating me on a job well done. Or like being non-obvious is a desirable trait. Maybe I could see that being the case in a homophobic area, but I live in Massachusetts. Come on now...

5. Jonathan

I've received responses from both sides. There have been people who were completely shocked and to quote my friend "mind fucked" that I wasn't straight. On the other hand, some people said that it was obvious that I wasn't...so I don't really know lol.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Most people think I'm straight and shy.
    The second part being true.
    I have one friend who had a tiny, minuscule suspicion, but that's it.

7. Nemo39122

I'm not out to many people so I can't answer too accurately, but it seems like they had some suspicions but didn't really know. I think part of that reason is that I'm bisexual and fit some lesbian stereotypes (ok, alot...lol), but maybe I seem straight sometimes too? I don't know. I confuse people...:lol:

8. Drakey

most people consider the fact that I grew a bit of a beard on my chin as me not being gay xD

9. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a tough question for me to answer, as I have told absolutely no one that I am bisexual.

But I am guessing that people would be absolutely shocked if/when I do tell them.

10. ameliawesome

some do, some don't. i think some people are just more perceptive than others.

11. Well, I'm pretty open. I just basically function each day on the assumption that everyone knows I'm gay. I don't need to hint. I don't need to wear anything that says it or has rainbows (even though I do own some of that stuff). I just do whatever I do and say whatever I say. And people catch on or they suspect and ask. So it's difficult to tell if people would guess I'm gay if they didn't talk to me and just saw me somewhere.

Most people operate on the assumption that everyone around them is straight. You have to visibly break norms to make a blip on what most people call 'gaydar' (aka stereotype-ometer).

So, some figure it out right away without me saying anything. And others catch on eventually.

12. Lark

Lark Guest

Well, one of my friends (who I haven't come out to yet) said to me on the bus a few days ago that I was 'obviously 100% straight'. The only person who I have come out to so far, even though I came out straight after I guessed she was bi, thought it was a joke at first, lol.

I guess people really don't know with me. However, I have been dropping a lot of hints recently, so maybe some of them suspect. I can't tell.

13. FJ Cruiser

My parents had an idea, but other than that, no one had even thought to guess. When I told one of my good friends, he didn't believe me until I brought it up several hours later. Another one of my friends actually had a disagreement with his roommate about it. His roommate was in a group conversation with me where my orientation was brought up, and when he talked about it to my friend, my friend insisted that it must have been a joke.

14. rainbowfox

well I'm really open in expressing my emotions to people who are close to me so most of the people I came out to, know it before, but there is a girl on the other hand who has a crush on me :slight_smile:)
    so it absolutely depends on how close they are :slight_smile:

15. Just Passing

As far as I recall, prior to coming out at all, I think maybe one old school friend guessed I was gay and that was way before I ever said anything.

As for everyone else, I think they're usually pretty surprised. Must be my straight gayness. Though nowadays, I think I'm putting in a bit more effort to be open, so to speak, so who knows, in time maybe.

I voted for the third option anyway.

16. King

King Guest

I know for a fact that many people question me. People have since elementary school. Within the last month though, I've become more open about it without specifically saying that I'm gay.
    Most suspect, but since I haven't told them yet, they're giving me the benefit of the doubt.

17. they never guess.
    i could probably make out with a girl in front of someone and they would just think i was kidding or something lol D:

however, when someone gets to know me most have said they can tell. but from no speaking to me/knowing me they cant tell.

18. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt many people would perceive very much about me considering how private I like to be about everything. I don't think that many were particularly surprised when they found out, but I certainly never did anything that helped people perceive me as ghey. A couple of my friends did suspect because of how long they knew me, and they picked up on my lack of interest in girls and put two and two together.

I do have some characteristics that they consider to be a stereotypical way to recognise ghey guys, including an ability to bitch at everything and everyone (my cousins stereotyping, not mine!), but for the most part I am too private to give anything away about myself. That's pretty much the way I'd want it to be too, as I like to have control over my life and hate the idea of somebody purposely changing themselves just so they can ram their very being down somebody elses throat. I really don't care whether somebody is flamboyant or whatever, but when people feel the need to change themselves to the extent that everything is about them and their sexuality then that's when I perceive them to be a fucking idiot. :wink: I've unfortunately met some characters like that in my time, and I also apply that exact same principle to straight people who feel the need to force their heteronormative masculinity into peoples faces by never shutting up about sexual conquests. Admittedly I'm going off on a tangent here, so I'll sum up with just be yeself and let peeps perceive you however they want. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Lewis

Through school I often got the gay remarks etc. but for the past few years, I think people perceive me as completely straight. Not sure why. I never join in on conversations about girls, I certainly don't try hide my personality and it's kind of like I'm out, but people just assume that I'm straight.

My parents probably know though, as a child it was a little obvious (very stereotypical), I've changed a lot since then though.

20. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The 4 people that I've told so far were completely shocked. They had no inkling whatsoever...I wonder if this is a good or bad thing :S