Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
EC Addict

Orientation: Pansexual/Bisexual
Out Status: Some people

Default Lavender Marriage?

I don't mean to be the one always starting controversial topics but a friend and I were talking about Rock Hudson and the topic came up. What does everyone think of lavender marriages/relationships? Would you ever enter one? If so, what would be the rules?

Here's a definition
Quote:
A lavender marriage is a type of male-female marriage of convenience in which the couple are not both heterosexual and conceal the homosexual or bisexual orientation of one or both spouses
For the purposes of this thread lets say that there are no heterosexuals involved. So you aren't marrying a heterosexual and convincing them that you're in love. You would be with another non heterosexual person and hiding both of your sexualities from the world
castle walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Neko Boy

Default Re: Lavender Marriage?

Why bother going through that when you can just have a regular marriage in this day and age?

Even if you agree to go about your own lives, you still have to worry about hiding what you're doing and all this other stupid bullshit that marrying a straight wouldn't solve.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:24 PM   #3

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: A few people

I think they are a necessary evil, some people need to hide, especially in other countries. If there is no point to it, I don't see why there should be one, but in the end it's a personal decision.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Mom knows, online friends and 2 irl friends know

I would never do it.
Hmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:52 PM   #5
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people

At least in the US, the UK and many other advanced countries, this isn't a necessity anymore. Maybe back when being gay could ruin your career yeah, but not now.

Honestly, love who you love. Marry/Civil-Union/Date them. Hopefully it'll be legal and accepted worldwide eventually, whether it be in a hundred years or a thousand.

In my opinion, I find it dumb that even though love and companionship has existed in all forms since the dawn of time, some members of a new race that have been around for a measly 2.5 million years have declared one type wrong and another right.

Not trying to dismiss human achievement. I'm just saying from the point of the grand scheme of things.
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:22 PM   #6
King

Tournaments Won: 43

Only if we loved each other...
Otherwise, no, since gay marriage is legal in Canada and I have every intention of getting married.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:01 PM   #7
...and eggs

Out Status: Out to everyone

I only know one couple in a lavender marriage. They're both bisexual and it's an open relationship. They truly love each other and are sexually attracted to one another, but they both recognize each other's need to be with the same sex from time to time.

However, I wouldn't do it. I can't even get it up for a girl, let alone be in a heteronormative relationship
brocub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Neko Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocub View Post
I only know one couple in a lavender marriage. They're both bisexual and it's an open relationship. They truly love each other and are sexually attracted to one another, but they both recognize each other's need to be with the same sex from time to time.
My dream spouse!
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:23 PM   #9
EC Psychopath

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Sexuality: Out, Gender: Partially Out

I don't think it's an "evil," and people who think it is need to remember that we don't have a moral obligation to be out. We have a moral obligation to be out if we feel safe.

I have no desire to hear about how it's "hiding" or people trying to avail themselves of heterosexual privilege.

All I think is that it underscore the need either for marriage equality or for the state to end all privileges that attach to marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocub View Post

However, I wouldn't do it. I can't even get it up for a girl, let alone be in a heteronormative relationship
I want a relationship like that so bad.
Pret Allez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Straight as a Circle

Orientation: Gayer than a Rainbow
Out Status: Some friends, parents

I would do it only if I were in an openly anti gay country. As is, no way
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Neko Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pret Allez View Post
I don't think it's an "evil," and people who think it is need to remember that we don't have a moral obligation to be out. We have a moral obligation to be out if we feel safe.
Not even. Coming out is a personal benefit exclusively.

I personally stand to lose a lot of money coming out to certain people, but I wouldn't say my safety would be in jeopardy.
Old 30th Jan 2014, 03:24 AM   #12

Orientation: Straight but curious

Indeed the trouble with Lavender Marriages is that it is fine for the folk who do it, but the side effects on subsequent generations ( because often one child is concieved to convince the public) can be terrible.

The concept of a Lavender Marriage is quite old, and does not just belong to Holywood. There are many a British examples going back, and often the Lavenders are more concerned with themselves than their inadvertant victims. And then they cover up.

I have nothing against gay or lesbian relationships, but hiding it is a problem mainly for the offspring or adopted children. And therein lies the conundrum as often such folk are more concerned with their sexuality than their other responsibilities. It should maybe only be a choice for those who want to remain childless and not inflict other's choices on hetrosexual members of the family, which raises the problem of selfishness and deceit.

That is the problem with Lavender Marriages... one deceit leads to another.
gameofthrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 07:05 AM   #13
EC Addict

Orientation: Preferably guys
Out Status: If asked, I'll tell it like it is

Lol, god no.

I'm sexually attracted to both, so sexually it could work, but I have zero emotional connection with girls. Guys are for relationships and sex. Girls are just the occasional one night stand.
awesomeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Gay nerd, Affinity for fluffy dogs

Yup, right after I got electroshock therapy to cure me of the mental illness that is homosexuality[/sarcasm] No, I live in the USA(albeit in a less gay friendly state) so why give up now when marriage equality is within our grasp?
Come up for air, come up for air-"Miracle Mile" Cold War Kids
SongshiQuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 08:57 AM   #15
EC Addict

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and I know someone who did this. my sister knows a coupld of people who did this.

Sometimes people are so scared of others reaction of they live in small community (read: cult) where coming out would destroy their lives and they'd lose loved ones. So they get married to act straight.
I'm not what I have done....I'm what I've overcome."--Dawn Michele, Fireflight
DrkRayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 11:42 AM   #16
The Girl Who Waited

Orientation: Bi (i like people)
Out Status: Going back into the closet...

I completely disagree with it, but i have a set view of marriage. I believe that marriage is for two people who love each other and are attracted to each other. That doesn't mean i think its evil mind you, but personally I would NEVER. I don't agree with open marriages either, or polygamy or anything either, but that's other peoples choices to make.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 10:10 AM   #17
lesbian and loving it

Out Status: Out to friends not out to homphobic parents

I almost ended up in a Lavender marriage my mom was gonna force me to marry some guy , and my aunt was also telling her to just marry me off . I probably would have told my husband off the bat that i'm not having sex with him and I'll only date and have sex with other women . I'm glad my mother never when through with this I remember my mom told some guy friend that she was going to do it and he told he doesn't think it's a good idea because I was too young .

Your not scare of the dark are you?
stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2014, 01:40 PM   #18
Speaker of the EC Chat Room

Orientation: I'm so gay that OneDirection turned around!
Out Status: Almost everyone, half my family can never know...

My aunt and the father of her oldest child were in a lavender marriage, but it wasn't to conceal the fact that they were both gay/lesbian, it was "for the sake of the baby." Eventually, he was the first one to reveal that he was gay and couldn't be in the marriage anymore, and she eventually came out as well.