1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age differences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PTGriffin, May 25, 2012.

1. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm mostly wanting to ask those of you who are still in your teen years, late teens really. How old does someone have to be before they're sorta "too old" to be interesting to you? I'm not talking about dating or anything sexual, but casually and friendly. If I remember right, when i was 17 or 18, people over 20 were oooldd and 25 was like annnnnnncient. Of course, now I'm 23 and I have friends within a huge age range, but curiosity got the best of me and I'm wondering what you guys of today think if you're still like 17 or 18. And just for fun, what about for dating? I didn't think I'd wanna date anyone over 20 when I was 18 or so.

Sort of a dumb question I know. And as a disclaimer, I'm not asking because I'm interested in teenagers LOL.

2. King

King Guest

Depends on where/how I met them. I have a work-friend who's 30... He's the oldest.
    Essentially;
    Friends: 16-30
    Dating: 17-23
    Of course, all subject to change. My closer friends are mainly early 20's, but age isn't really much in friendship... Dating is different. Even 23 is a stretch but, I'm open to it.

3. IamwhoIam12

I'm 19, in college and am hoping to meet someone. I hope to meet someone else in college. I feel like if I get too far past college, I won't be able to relate to the person very well. So I guess 24 or 25 is the max for me when it comes to dating.
    But as far as friends, strictly friends, I don't mind knowing guys of any age. As long as they don't have a creepy vibe about them. I have "old lady friends" that are in their 70s and I know some (straight) guys that are 70+ as well. I suppose that I don't know any gay guys over the age of 26, though.
    I hope I answered your question somewhere in there :slight_smile:

4. secretguyX

Well I may only be 14, but still, my ages would most likely be (with exceptions):

Friends: 11-21
    Dating: 12 (turning 13 this year) - 17

I have had two or so friends who were 21 years old, and their age didn't make much of a difference. My friend (a year younger than me) had previously dated a 21 year old, but I kind of think that isn't right... And I have been friends with someone who was 11, plus I talked to my boyfriend's brother a lot today, who's 11, and he's a really cool kid. :slight_smile: My boyfriend's the same age as me, but I'm fine with dating someone a little younger or a few years older than me, I don't think it makes that much of a difference if it's only a few years.

#4 secretguyX, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. Emberstone

Most of the time, guys who hit on me are older than my dad... i dont know what it is, but I am a magnet for the 57-65 crowd.

I could see dating someone within ten years of my age, either way, except as long as in the younger spectrum, they are 21+. I would feel weird dating younger than that.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You aren't the only one..... :wink: Best one so far: a 60 year old something hitting on me during a coffee/social get together. Yeah, I think I can do better than that!

Anyways.... My friends have a wide age range. I have never found it to be a problem. One of my friends is nine years younger than I am, while another one is in her later 40s.

In terms of dating, I would be uncomfortable dating someone who is over 10 years younger or older than I am. However, when it comes to dating someone who is in their mid to late 20s, it would definitely depend on the person's maturity level.

7. I'm 16 and I wouldn't mind someone in their early 20's but I wouldn't go over like 24 then it feels like they are a pedo.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, 25 is about the cut off, and even that's kind of high.

9. Dating or one night stands? One night stands have a diffrent age limit that I would allow for.

10. dreamcatcher

Dating-wise, I think the cut off for me would be 26. In regards to friendship, honestly age isn't much of a factor. I would prefer to be friends with people in their twenties but I could be friends with people younger or older than that.

11. my friends age from 17-26

but dating wise probably 17(at a push). 18-28 maybe. but then i guess it all depends. i know i wouldnt date a 16 year old though.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friends: 18 (maybe 17) - whatever, I notice I get along better sometimes with people who are my parents age over mine just because despite the Asperger's, to my friends I'm immature yet to the older crowd I'm mature. It's weird :S

Dating: As low as 20, maybe, but I'm aiming higher like 32, maybe 34 max but more around 32 or a little lower.

13. Willis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guess I'm the odd one out here, for me friends I don't care what age, if I can hold a conversation with you then thats good enough for me. Dating, cut off age for me is about 70, do prefer me men to be older though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dating-wise, I think 28 would be around the cut-off age for me.

Friend-wise, I don't have an age limit, especially since one of my friends is 60 years old.

15. Just Passing

I try not to let age differences get in the way of anything. It's very short sighted to limit yourself to a certain demographic, particularly with friendship groups, however dating is something that's a little touchy.

I can be friends with anyone of any age and as Revan mentioned earlier, because of the Aspergers, it is sometimes easier to get on with people older than myself than of my actual age for some reason. This happened more back in the early days, but it is still a case today.

As for dating, I'm not sure about this one partly because I have never dated, but I have a horrible feeling I'd get judged if I went out with someone of an age gap. Even if I went for someone just three or four years older than myself (or vice versa), it would be judged by others and I would hate that, regardless of how in love I was. I suppose the limit would have to be ten to fifteen years, anything over that would be overkill I think. Though I won't know the proper answer unless it happens.

16. taintedlove

my friends age from 18-23 though cut off 16-26
    and dating probably 17-22

17. counterspade

I have friends who are in their 50s and I'm in my 20s. It's not a sexual friendship, more so just a casual one. They're family friends, or people I've met over the years.

When it comes to dating, I think the highest age I would feel comfortable with is in the mid 30s. The lowest would be 18.

It depends on the situation, I guess.

18. Atticus

My friendships tend to range from 18 to 60. One of my coolest friends is in her sixties. She's so cool. I love hanging out with her. I have a problem with disliking people because they are less mature than I am (even if I'm not that mature, I still like to have the ability to have an intellectual conversation sometimes that does not include words like "like" and "you know."), so I've always chosen to have friends older than myself.

As far as dating goes, I'd date up to ten years older, two years younger. This is mostly for the same reasons above. I don't want to feel way older than someone, but I don't want a Daddy either. Well, maybe sometimes, but I don't want to feel like I have to date in the thirties since I'm still young and still dependent upon my parents and my education.

19. Bradley

I'm 24 and would be comfortable dating someone 20-28. I don't have a lot of experience for my age, so I think I would be drawn more to someone younger than me, with a similar experience level.

My friends range in age from 16 to 55. My closest friends are 25-35 though.

20. starfish

Friends age is not a factor. I have a close friend who is 37 years older than be. I also have friends 12 years younger than me.

For dating my rule of thumb is 5 years either way. I like older guys and tried dating a few. Never really worked out.