1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of my classmates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sayu, May 28, 2012.

1. Sayu

Tomorrow we are going on a three days school course. We will be living near woods and I have had a very severe phobia of ants since I was like three. So obviously, I feel quite uncomfortable just about staying there and today my classmate told me this: "You know, you might want to close your windows once we're there, because someone could easily throw a bottle full of ants into your cottage!" She said it like if they have already discussed it and were going to do it... I am so scared that something like that will happen. Or that in the woods (where we will spend most of the time) someone will poke me into an anthill or what. So what should I do? :frowning2: I get on well with most of my classmates, but there are few that don't really like me (not that I like them as well). :help: :tears:

2. BudderMC

It does sound like they could have discussed it and are going to do it, but by assuming they have and will is just setting yourself up to be paranoid for the rest of the trip.

I don't know if it would be worth it, but maybe you could talk to your teacher (or whatever supervisor is attending) and let them know that you're really afraid of ants and it's a legitimate concern? Obviously they can't protect you, but they could hopefully keep an eye out for you. At the very least if something did happen, it would ensure that it gets dealt with seriously.

Otherwise, and I know it's hard to do, I think your best approach is to just try and not be that afraid, or at least not show it. Honestly, being really fearful like that puts a "target" on your back, and if someone is going to do something really mean (like chucking a bottle of ants through your window) they're basically bullying you. And bullies only do things to get a reaction, right? If you can deny them your reaction, they'll lose interest; suddenly the game of scaring you becomes a waste of time if you don't get scared, right? But obviously that's a lot easier said than done.