1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What music keeps you going?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ttmab, May 29, 2012.

1. ttmab

I'm guessing most of you are going through a pretty stressful time right now. I know I am. I've been compiling a playlist of songs to keep me going. Mostly inspirational, but sometimes sad or angry. What do you listen to that keeps you going? I'll start with one, and post more later:

Dream Theater - I Walk Beside You + Lyrics - YouTube

This one just brings me to tears sometimes. Not tears of sadness. I dunno what they are.

2. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well what keeps me going is Lullaby by Nickelback. It just helps me and reminds me that I am not alone, not the only one who has done these things. I remember the past and I'll say this song helps me to never go back.

3. DanA

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is the Talking Heads. It's a double live album from two unique performances. If ya'll know anything about the Talking Heads, you know that they are at their absolute best live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHfVi5elXpI

It's been the soundtrack of the past 5 days.

And it's funny that this thread is here because music is incredible important to me in terms of using it as a tool to clear my head or work out out problems. It is something you can project your emotions onto depending on how you're feeling or music can simply just be fun and entertaining and uplifting. It's fun stuff.

Check out the Talking Heads, they are my absolute favorite band in the world.

#3 DanA, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rise Against - Satellite [with official lyrics] - YouTube
    Rise Against for some reason, always makes me feel better and this is my favorite song by them. ^-^ The power in this type of music just makes it sound... I don't even know what the word is. xD!

A Breathtaking Piano Piece - Jervy Hou - YouTube
    This also is a really nice and calming song that no matter what kind of mood I'm in, gives me this warm feeling inside.

And finally...
    Nickelback - Lullaby - YouTube
    When I'm really upset and think the world's just upside-down, I listen to this, and it makes me feel so much better that there's another person (even if it's just a singer) I can relate to. :3

EDIT: how funny, just realized samizer0313 said the exact same song (Lullaby), win! :grin:

5. ttmab

Well, I'll definitely have to check this one out! :grin:

---------- Post added 29th May 2012 at 02:29 PM ----------

Tokio Hotel Zoom Into Me Lyrics - YouTube

I admit, I only found out about Tokio Hotel because the lead singer is gorgeous. :grin:
    That being said, this song blew me away. It's helped a lot.

#5 ttmab, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have to give Zoom Into Me another thumbs up and compliment you for your choice. It has helped me a lot since I first heard it.

Tokio Hotel - Don't Jump (lyrics) - YouTube
    This song has pulled me out of some really dark spots.. For me, it's message is, "I know you're feeling really down right now, but I promise you, things aren't actually as bad as you think they are. Stay strong. Please don't jump."

Pink fucking perfect - YouTube
    This one helps me feel better when I'm in more of an ambivalent mood. The message I take away from it is, "You're not perfect, but you're more than good enough, and don't let yourself or anyone else tell you otherwise."

Riverboat Gamblers - Don't Bury Me...I'm Still Not Dead w/ lyrics - YouTube
    This has to be one of the most inspirational songs I know. It basically says, "To all the disparaged people, to all the outcasts, to all the freaks, to all the people who feel hopeless, scream it out: I'm still not dead! Don't bury me yet!"

Those are more generic songs, though; these are some songs that are more specific in when I listen to them:

Dope Nothing for me here w/lyrics - YouTube
    Sometimes I need to listen to a song that says, "My current circumstances just aren't working for me. They do me way more harm than good; I'm stressed out, I've lost sight of who I really am, and I can't keep this up." I usually listen to this song to affirm that whatever is stressing me out right now, it's that situation that's the problem, not me. It doesn't have any affirmations that say that I need to change these circumstances, but it helps me feel justified in feeling that.

Stand My Ground!! By Within Temptation (Lyrics) - YouTube
    Now this is a song that affirms that I need to change my current circumstances. It has a lot of the same sentiment as "Nothing for Me Here", but it goes one step farther in saying, "Though it will be scary to do so, I'm going to acknowledge this truth I've been denying." It can be interpreted that generally, but I usually interpret it more specifically to say that, "I've been hiding something inside myself, but I'm done denying it." I'd say that makes it a pretty perfect coming out song. :slight_smile:

7. Bolin

Usually anything by Vivaldi...or any late Italian baroque composer, really. The Italian baroque style of classical music is highly energetic, so they're generally mood boosters for me.

If I'm really depressed, I'll listen to Bach because...I don't know, when I listen to his music, I feel like he understands me somehow...I know it's stupid, but it's just how I feel. Haha

8. ttmab

Wow, that's awesome! Looks like someone else is collecting inspiring music, too. :icon_bigg

Seriously though, thanks for the list. I've only listened to Don't Jump so far, but I'm working on the rest right now. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th May 2012 at 05:07 PM ----------

Actually I'm a big fan of baroque music myself. I love Bach and Vivaldi, though I tend to gravitate more towards the morose end of their music. :slight_smile:

9. Owen

I think it's more accurate to say that I just have a more personal relationship with the music I listen to than most people do. But regardless, I'm glad you like the list. I hope some of it can help you, too. :slight_smile:

10. ttmab

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Karma by Bump of Chicken - YouTube
    I can't understand the lyrics, but something about how it sounds just makes me feel better.

Bloom by Steven Bryant (composer) - soundcloud
    The song is a wind ensemble piece about the arrival of spring. Its themes of renewal and hope are inspirational whenever it feels like winter - both the literal and the metaphorical kind - is never going to end.

The first movement of Concerto for Soprano Sax by John Mackey - composer's website
    Another wind ensemble piece, this one is energetic. I find that it pushes me forward and helps motivate me to keep going.

I know it's not most people's kind of music, but for some people it might be worth looking into.

(I don't think I've already posted this somewhere else. Apologies if I have.)

12. Owen

13. King

King Guest

14. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let it burn, pieces, and hymn for the missing all By: RED
    Storm By: lifehouse
    chasing cars By:Snow Patrol
    Good life By: one republic
    one day to late: skillet
    tonight By: fm static

15. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Orchestral movie Soundtracks. Obviously a few John Williams and Hans Zimmer tracks, bu my personal favorite is the Lawrence of Arabia track by Maurice Jarre.

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tokio Hotel and t.A.T.u. a LOT when I was younger (still listen to them often now). I don't know if it was really them keeping me going as much as it was me relating to the songs and getting lost in them.

18. Nadski

Nadski Guest

i have been listening to these sings non stop these past weeks

courage - Orianthi ft Lacey
    standing in the rain - superchick

19. Bi As A Kite

20. timo

Anything by Asking Alexandria but especially this one: the combination of the tracks 'Dedication' and 'Someone Somewhere'. It's the best thing ever.

Asking Alexandria-Dedication And Someone,Somewhere Lyrics In Description - YouTube