1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we pressure legislation in states where we don't vote

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DMark69, May 29, 2012.

1. DMark69

I have been thinking about this for a while now. A friend of mine posted to Facebook about the NC Amendment 1 debate. His opinion is those of us that don't live in NC shouldn't be pressuring people who live there to pass or reject this issue. In this case I live in WY and he lives in TX. Neither of us would have a vote in that state so we shouldn't be pressuring people in that state to vote one way or another. It is worth watching the outcome so you can use arguments for your own state, or the federal government later, but it is up to the people of that state what they choose to vote.
    Let me state that my friend is accepting, I am out to him, and he has an adult son who is gay. If he had to opportunity to vote it would be for gay marriage.

What do you think? Should we pressure the people of states we don't live in to vote our way?

2. Travel Tech

Sure we don't vote, but there's nothing wrong with giving those who will additional information and arguments in order to help them make a better decision.

3. DanA

Absolutely we should. If there is one thing I know, it's political activism. I've been involved in the anti-war movement since 2007, Gay Rights rallies (as a straight man then), and Occupy.

We need to pool our resources and as a singular community within America, use our homogeneity in experience to protect all gay Americans, not just our close by neighbors. Civil Rights in the 50s and 60s did not gain victories from close-knit communities protecting their own while letting others to whither. The only problem is that the gay community is fractionalized but we need to band together and march forward as a singular group and demand our equality. The time is now.

QLGBT and it's allies are stating to wake up and the cries for equality are starting... lets make sure they're heard!

:newcolor::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Emberstone

Living in oregon, there have been times when oregons ballots had around 10 ballot measures, and only 2 of them originated in oregon. We kept seeing a anti- american goverment conservative group out of arizona pushing anti-middle class, anti-education, anti-enviorment, anti-senior, and even anti-veterens ballot measures onto our ballots. They always get rejected by the voters.

Having been on the side of watching tens of millions a year being wasted to counter outside influences in my state, I have to say that we should not be directly interfering.

That is not to say I am against people making donations to groups within the state who are fighting for a measure, but having seen the wastefulness and grotesque behavior out of state groups can impose by interfering, I really am uncomfortable with the idea.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the National Organization of Marriage isn't a NC organization but they sure as hell pressured people in NC to vote for Amendment 1. Just saying, I think it's up to us to help those in NC to understand what the vote was/is really about. After all, the passing of it banned straight couples from civil unions and domestic partnerships as well.