1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, May 30, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I am going to pride for the first time this year. I was just wondering what to expect since I have never gone to pride before. I'm really excited!!

2. Emberstone

I am hoping to go to portland pride, but it has been hell trying to find a group to go up with... I cant afford the gas to drive myself.

3. yayyy pride is awesome.
    i go to london pride and its just a big party :grin:

4. Markio

I've been to San Francisco Pride 3 times, and just went to Long Beach Pride a few weeks ago. The parade is my favorite part! Basically you're just surrounded by other gay people as you watch gay-affirming companies, politicians and organizations walk/drive by in elaborate outfits or on colorful floats. :slight_smile:

Afterwards there's usually a festival location nearby where there's a bunch of booths selling alcohol and gay merchandise. In SF it was free to enter (donation suggested) but in LB and some places it can cost up to $20. At Pride I've gotten a rainbow wristband, a T-shirt, and a pair of sunglasses with a rainbow-metallic sheen.

I think usually the night before the parade there's a lot of drinking and partying, but I'm not that exciting of a person to go. Most pride venues have a website with a list of festivities and times.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok awesome!! I'm going to the Columbus, Ohio pride. I'm pretty excited about it!!

6. Eponine

I've been to SF pride for the last two years. The parade is always the best part (at least to me). Free stuff all around. Haha.

7. aeva

I've only been to NYC Pride once (last year) and it was so much fun. It was the day after Cuomo signed the law allowing same-sex marriage, so the atmosphere was truly incredible.

The only negative for me was that I went with my boyfriend at the time, even though I had recently realized I was gay. He, being a straight guy in a gay environment, was firmly affixed to my side the entire day, wanting to be affectionate. I, not being attracted to men anymore, was super uncomfortable being with him at all. I was absolutely dying to be there with a girl.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I love going to pride! It really is one heck of an event.

If you are more introverted like myself, then it might be a bit overwhelming to have so much going on, but what I do is volunteer with an organization for the whole day. That way I can enjoy myself, but I still don't have the overwhelming feeling haha

You can probably expect a lot of booths and a lot of free stuff going around. And drag queens! That was personally the hardest thing for me to get used to my first time, but after a while is just fun.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome!! I am going with my college's Pride group (we are meeting there since we are out of school for the summer) So there will be some people that I know there. My parents are coming with me, but they are really open to anything.

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Had no idea what to expect when I went to my first Pride last June (in Denver CO). Didn't go to the parade, just the festival. I was kinda nervous about going, but that feeling quickly went away :slight_smile: I felt I actually fit in there (odd feeling LOL) There was tons of people there, the streets around the vendor booths were so packed with people you could hardly move.
    Overall it was pretty cool and I must say I enjoyed it :slight_smile: . Can't really explain this but after going I've always felt a bit more open

I went to my 2nd Pride last August (in Boulder CO), that one was allot smaller than the Denver one, but still glad I went

Both were free.
    ------
    (guess you could say I have spent 2 partial days out of the closet LOL)

Been looking forward to going to Denver again this year (hopefully everything will work out so I can..maybe even both days)

A couple suggestions:
    * Bring your camera and extra batteries :slight_smile:
    * If you don't want to deal with driving/parking/etc downtown, consider taking the Bus/Train/Subway instead (when I went to Denver I drove part-way and then took their light-rail 'train' into downtown...that worked great, its pretty much the only way I'll do it now)

[​IMG]

11. Well, I've only ever been to the Milwaukee Pride, which is MUCH smaller than other bigger cities have...

But when I went there were booths with free stuff, cool pride things to buy, 'faire' food (like you get at most festivals around here), places to dance, people performing on stages. One year there was the Vagina Monologues. And lots and lots of LGBT people and allies of ALL types.

It's much like any other sort of festival, only instead of being for music or whatever, it's for queerness!

Yeah, it can be a little overwhelming at first, but in my experience, everyone is really nice, and if you're going with friends, all the better :slight_smile:

Have fun!