1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hi

Right now I know this may not bother some people or maybe it does I don't know. Now every time when a gay person is presented on tv, film or reality it's always the stereotype (damn I hate the word).

Now I don't have a problem with these types of gays. I, myself, am not like this and have rarely saw gays presented on tv that are for what of a better word, straight acting. Now I know there a few that are presented this way such as

1) Aaron on Emmerdale (UK)
    2) Maybe on that new Spartacus series but I can't be sure

Does anyone know any other programs that present gays other than just the typical feminine type?
    Does it bother anyone else that there isn't more variety of representing gays?

2. DanA

Sarah Silverman Program portrayed a nerdy gay couple fairly normal (aside from the hilarious silly nature of the show).

I'd say Mission Hill has a pretty good portrayal of a gay couple as well.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia has also had a favorable portrayal of gay people.

But yeah, it bothers the crap out of me because I am not a feminine man (unless confronted with a junebug in my hair, I found out not to long ago v.v ). I can't stand that "HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" stereotype when applied to every gay man.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy Endings has a non-stereotypical gay character.
    Captain Jack Harness is a badass omni/xenosexual character from both Doctor Who and Torchwood.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. I know what you mean... It drives me mad sometimes cuz I'm like "he must be gay" its completely obvious

5. BajanBoy13

It does annoy me -.- Its because the studio producers want to portray gay man as femminine and women as masculine like there is somethine wrong with LGBT people.

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

It reinforces societies opinion of gay people being only one way when in actual fact you could be passing gay people in the street all the time and wouldn't know because they don't actively flaunt they sexuality (if that's the right way of putting it)

7. sguyc

Ya it bothers me a little. On Glee the girls get the perfect girly girl lesbians, we get Kurt. But w/e I don't even watch glee lol.

8. Just Passing

Presenting stereotyped characters on shows is irritating, but I've learnt not to get bothered by it. There's much worse things to get annoyed lately then how a fictional character acts. Plus anyone with half a sense in the real world will realise that not every gay person acts like a certain stereotype.

9. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People seem to cling to stereotypes...

10. JustMeForNow

Well, there's karofsky and he is'nt sterotypical at all (football jock). He had a really powerfull storyline in the middle of the season three after his new school found out he was gay.

11. Drakey

Oh yeah it freaking bothers me. I act completely straight except for my love of clothes shopping and my constant fixing of my hair. Then people expect me to act girlier than most girls even do and I'm like "DUDE!! I'm probably manlier than you!!"

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People don't realize constant fixing hair is a long hair thing, not a gay or girl thing.

13. DanA

I don't think it's that malicious... I think it's because they want to make sure the audience can identify the character as gay so they use outdated stereotypes. Like, in the old days when radio dramas were the thing, if a character was supposed to be black they'd use a lot of "massa" and "oh lawdy" type language so the audience would know the character was black.

I mean, if you portrayed a gay gal or guy on tv as we actually are, how would the brainwashed sheeple be able to identify us?

Liberal Hollywood my ass.

#13 DanA, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  14. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I think it can be done and should be done. I'm not saying start portraying every gay character as we actually are but it would be a good idea instead of sticking to the same old same old stereotype

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

i think Queer as Folk (UK Version) Did a good job with how it showed gay men not just being feminine

15. DanA

Oh yeah, it can be done and has been... but for most people, they don't know that a gay man or woman is just that... a man or a woman. I mean, I'm not excusing them, and chide them every chance I get, but it's just something that's up to all of us to point out and be like "hey, that's not right."

Also, the portrayal of non-cisgendered people is abysmal, that's almost a whole other topic. Silence of the Lambs comes to mind....

16. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I like Queer As Folk as a show, I don't think that it does us any favours as a portrayal of the gay community.

Yeah, it pisses me off that I never see gay characters on TV that I actually relate to, but I kinda think that gay stereotypes that the general public love (like whassisface from Glee) are better than no gays on tv at all, even if I dislike them personally. Somebody realising that Glee-person is a normal person just like them and shouldn't have less rights than them is a good thing.

EDIT - I am lead to believe by wikipedia that his name is Kurt, all I know is that he annoyed the hell outta me in the one episode of Glee I was forced to watch.

17. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I sort of agree on Queer as Folk now. I hadn't watched much of it, just bits and pieces. I've actually saw more of it now and think its showing gay people as wanting sex 24/7 but it not all bad. There are some redeeming features in the program I guess.

Yeah. Kurt in Glee kinda annoyed me. I mean I've only saw the odd episode but yeah. I know

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Sadly for a lot of ignorant people, long hair itself, is a girl and therefore on men > gay thing.

19. Kuroi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate seeing stereotypes on tv mainly because people here consider them to be the only type of gay people. For instance I know about 5 guys in my school that are gay but as for the rest of the school they only know 3, those who act stereotiypical. I myself could nevec come out to anyone like that because they would associate my behaviour with my orientation. Everything I do would suddenly become act of gayness. I blame Tv for making people that way.

How I met your mother is the only Tv show I saw that didn’t stereotype gays (Barnie’s brother).
    Mirai nikki is anime that has non stereotypical gay character and is in my oppinion worth watching (for those interested interested in anime.)

20. BajanBoy13

YESS!! He annoyed me aswell...

#20 BajanBoy13, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012