1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gleekfanatic, Jun 1, 2012.

1. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Prom....A topic that causes me such heartache, cause I never went to mine, and I would have liked to have gone. My parents absolutely refused to let me go, and I couldn't sneak out to go, because I didn't even have a tux...
    I was wondering if there was anyone else here who didn't go to their prom, and how they feel about it. I was also wondering what those who did go felt about theirs.
    The reason I ask is because I have been watching "glee", as usual, and this is the second year in a row that they've made a "prom" episode, except they called it the "Anti-Prom" episode.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't go to prom and, to be honest, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I was never into that kind of stuff.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually have to ask, if you're not too sore to explain, but why did your parents keep you from Prom? Most parents are thrilled for Prom to see their children in tuxes and dresses. So I'm really curious.

As for my feelings, I went, even was nominated for Prom King, something I honestly never thought was possible to happen because I never considered myself popular. But aside from the nomination, was the most boring event ever. Honestly though, dances have gotten worse. At least at Prom and other dances they played real music. Now all I get when I go to dances is the crappy dub step remixes of great songs, hell they even remixed Adele one time which just made me mad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Ianthe

I went with friends. It was awesome. I am really glad I didn't have some kind of awkward date with a boy I wasn't really interested in.

5. toms7

i would go if there was ,but never happened

6. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't go. Couldn't be bothered to waste money on a suit and a ticket. Everyone who went said it sucked.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't go to my year 12 formal, as I felt very unwelcome.

8. Lewis

I didn't go. I left school two years early because I had some kind of breakdown thing, I couldn't take school any longer. I can't remember a single happy day from my final year of school, not one.

9. dreamcatcher

I didn't go to prom and I don't regret it. Had I had a really tight knit group of friends, I would have gone but I was still relatively new at my school and didn't have that sense of community like a lot of other people did.

I'm glad that there are other people that didn't go either. Every time I tell people I didn't go to prom they give me this look and say "OMG YOU DIDN"T GO TO PROM?!! BUT ITS PROM!!" And then I get really irritated and avoid the topic:dry:

10. Vanille

I went this year since it was my last year and since my mom was upset that I didn't go junior year. I went with my friend, and we had fun. I didn't think I would have as much fun as I did since I'm not really into dances. But even if I didn't go I wouldn't have been bummed about it. Too much money goes into prom, haha I could've done without all the shopping and stuff. I hate shopping! But all in all it was a good experience.

11. starfish

I didn't go. Had no desire to. Came home after work that day and spent the evening doing yard work. I can't remember why but I recall working on the fence.

I remember my parents were a little miffed they found out the next day the prom was the night before. They said I should have went. I didn't want to spend the money to go to something I was not at all interested in.

12. Nope, I did not go to mine. I was so far in the closet and depressed. I pretty much had no friends, was bullied throughout my years at school, was miserable as all hell and didn't feel like I needed to celebrate that fact, other than "I'm fucking free!!!"

And I do not regret it in the slightest. ^_^ Went to a restaurant with family. And that was that. (I know, kind of lame)

And now 3 years out of school, life is fucking grand, and from what I've heard, a lot of my bullies are either selling drugs, in a dead end job trying to support their unplanned child, or pretty much struggling through life.

*middle finger* ^_^

I know, that's probably not classy. But, my karma is a bitch. :wink:

Anyways, there are going to be so many more opportunities to have fun afterwards. I guarantee you that. So, you'll get to enjoy life once you go to college, meet new people.

I do wish life was actually like Glee though. Such a great group of supportive people. Ah well, I have that now. So, I can't complain.

13. suninthesky

Ditto that!

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to 3 proms and they were okay. The last prom, I went with my best guy friend. Other than that, I went with guy dates. I wanted to go with a girl but I had to watch her with her dates each year. Prom was sort of a sad event for me. Besides, same-sex coupling at dances was banned at my school. 2 girls tried to go together and were denied access. I enjoyed the after-proms more than the actual prom.

I saw the Glee episodes and prom was never like that. We didn't get fun dinosaur costumes or a live band. Prom is overrated and it's okay that you didn't go. Prom can be fun but I find after-high school to be much more fun.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't go to mine. I have never been a big dance/formal event person. I was happy sitting at home and watching movies that night. (Also... I went to a bad school... so prom was interesting...)

16. Jad

Jad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to both my proms and apart from one of the last chances to see most people (which some people don't want to do anyway) it was very anticlimactic but I'm still glad I went. Did you miss out? Not at all.

17. aeva

I went to prom my senior year of high school simply because I thought I'd regret it later if I didn't. I went with my boyfriend at the time, but spent most of the actual dance counseling a friend outside and the rest of the evening making out with one of my female friends.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular either.