1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anybody 30 and older no offense to the younger generation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silversurfer, Jan 11, 2008.

1. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's great to hear from the younger generation, just wondering if there are any other old guys out there :slight_smile: Listening to the youngsters makes me yearn for my youth :slight_smile:

2. Micah

There are a fair few members on EC that are above 30. I'm not one of them tho :wink:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well I'm 43, and there are quite a few other members over 30.

I came out when I was about 26, although I had been denying it for many years before that. If you're interested (or need something to help you sleep!) have a look at my coming out story at www.paul-uk.me.uk.

I think it is great that more young people now are coming out to themselves and others in their teens. I know I am gong to sound like an old git, but I think it is a bit easier for people to come out now than it was when I was a teenager. I'm NOT saying it's easy - it certainly isn't. But I think there is more awareness and acceptance now than there was in the 70s and early 80s, and there is the internet and sites like EC which help gay people feel less alone. I wish EC had existed when I was 16!

There are a lot of younger members here because ### refer under 18's they ban to here. Younger members seem to post more in the "Chit Chat" and "Fun and Games" sections too, probably because they spend more time online.

4. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 48 and I agree with Paul that today's generation have it easier. All their peers are more accepting as are most parents. The good thing about all this is that when today's kids have their own kids, and they turn out gay, they will have it even easier being accepted than today's lot. That said, bigotry will always be around but not as widespread as today. So Silversurfer, you're not on your own and everybody on EC is so welcoming despite age.

Enjoy your stay....:thumbsup:

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

They will hate us for saying that! :confused:

We are saying "easier" though, not "easy". It's still damn hard for many of them.

6. Jerr

I uh... "haven't seen as many winters" as yall but I do agree.

We have it anywhere from Easier to Easy!

I mean we know it isn't a choice or our sins coming to life in us or whatever that hubbub is. AND we have the internet to help us get to websites such as this to learn from our... wiser! yeah thats the word Wiser Homogays.

7. s5m1

I am in my early 40's and still not out. I agree that it was much harder to come out when I was a teen. As far as I am aware, there was no one out in my high school. In junior high, coming out would have posed a serious risk to your safety. There was little or no acceptance back then. While I doubt it is easy for all teens today, I love to read about EC members who have come out to acceptance from friends and family.

8. Mystery

I would like to point out that it is easier (Not easy, but easier) for our generation to come out only because the older generations along the way made it that way for us. Had nobody come out in earlier years, it would be just as difficult for us as it was for the generations before us.

9. Johnnieguy

We won't hate you....And I think we do have it very easy, depending on the part of the country/world.

There are only a handful of people who have had a problem with me being gay. Everyone else when I came out to them said something along the lines of "that's great, now pass me a beer" as if the revelation had no effect on them whatsoever.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zombie thread! :slight_smile:

But I'll say that I'm totally stoked that things are easier for the current generation. Here's hoping it's even easier for the one after that.

Lex

11. starfish

Seeing as how I'll be 30 in just over a week, guess I can chime in.

I do agree with the sentiment that things are getting better. Things were rough enough in the 90s. I can't imagine what it was like in the 70s and 80s.

One thing that just blows my mind is the number of 13 and 14 year olds we have here. I just can't imagine knowing that I was gay at that age. Well looking back I knew, I sure didn't understand it and it was not safe to explore those feelings. Had I been born 20 years later, I might have come out at that age also.

Who know maybe in another generation they'll be no need for this website.

12. xequar

Agreed. I'm kinda hoping that this is the last generation that even has to mess around with coming out.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sometimes.
    They often make me wish I'd come out sooner, but we can't change our age, so we can linger on it or move forward

14. straal1972

I'm 38 and only out to my wife, sis and brother. all within the last 2 months. I can't say who has it easier. It was hard for me to come out to my wife, but it was the best thing that could happen. In my family, in laws and friends I think i'm the only gay person

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My hope for the future is that kids are educated about the fact that all human sexuality is equally good and that we each feel what is normal for us.

As an over-30 guy, I feel that lack of education was the reason why I didn't realize I was gay sooner. It seems like the younger generation should have it much easier understanding human sexuality, have accepting peers, and coming out, yet that can vary greatly by family, location, etc. I'm glad that younger people have the internet and sites like this where they can get information and support at an early age. :thumbsup: