1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you associate dressing well with being gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PTGriffin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, this is sort of a clothing style question and it deals with something that I've begun to notice around me.

People here seem to like going for a casual style - shorts and a t shirt, flip flops, jeans when it's cold, etc which is kind of what I'm like as well. When I see someone going all J Crew up and down, Lacoste with nice pair of Khakis, or something even more "designer-yy", I sorta also see this kinda gay swagger, and it's not the fratty kind either if you know what I mean. I guess it's a little hard to explain exactly what it is. So it kind of leads me to think wonder if gay guys really like to dress up. Do you do this?

Most days I'm in athletic shorts with a t shirt or khaki shorts with a t shirt. I can't imagine just walking around casually dressed to impress.

Thoughts?

2. Personally I grab whatever I see and go with it. sometimes ill grab jeans, shorts, short sleeved, long sleeved, whetever happens to be there. Not big on trying to go for style. If I feel like dressing up I have collard shirts but thats really as far as I'm willing to go, but I usually wear jeans because they go with any shirt that I grab for that day.

3. Brenny

It isn't like I go around dressed up in a suit or something like that but I do dress to look nice. What ever is clean, well fitted, and has personality. But in general I'm the type that spends time picking out outfits, washing up, styling my hair, cleansing/toning my face, etc etc. Is dressing up a gay stereotype? I think so. I used to imagine every gay guy was just like me that way and even more extreme. But the more I see, the more I notice that yes there are some that way, maybe more so than straight guys but I have seen almost as many dressed and groomed very casually. Based on their hair, clothes, etc, I wouldn't assume them to be gay at all. To me it seems like the more feminine guys tend to appear more dressy but then I've seen macho gays look just as well dressed.

Long story short, do I associate dressing well with being gay? Yes. Do I look for that in a guy? Yes (but that is my taste). Is my assumption about this accurate in the majority of cases? I don't know. Probably not.

4. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I always take pride in my appearance, and if I go out in public in clothes that I personally feel are gross, I'm just not myself. Since I came out, I've taken extra care to make sure I'm looking sharp and fabulous.

5. Ridiculous

I don't associate dressing well with being gay as much as I associate dressing badly with being straight (sorry, any straight people reading this :lol:slight_smile:.

You can find plenty of straight guys that dress well.. it's difficult to find a gay guy that dresses awful.

6. Maybe I should start caring about what I wear :confused: I at least wanna look sexy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm going to say that, yes, I do. Personally, I care about my clothes and what I'm wearing way too much. And my brother (who is also gay) is just as bad as me if not even worse. I love that you gave J. Crew a shout-out, because that's my favorite brand. ^_^

The few other out gay boys in my hometown all had their own particular style, but I wouldn't say all of them "dress well." And I know plenty of gays who have no style whatsoever. But, on average, I think a well-dressed boy, a boy dressed to the absolute 9's in the wild, is more likely to be gay than straight. Scott Disick is the only straight guy I can name that dresses well and still likes vagina. (As far as we know.)

8. TheGreyMan

I've noticed I've cared more for my appearance ever since I've come to terms with myself and fell in love with a guy, but I don't know if it's relevant.

9. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always made an effort to look decent even before I came to terms with myself. But only half of the openly gay guys I went to school with really dressed well. So it's not really something I associate with being gay. Style is just something some people have and some people don't. Honestly I think there is likely a lot of straight guys who would love to dress more "fabulous" but don't simply because they don't want to send the wrong message.

10. King

King Guest

I don't, really. I mean, the stereotype is that gay boys do dress up more, but that's just a stereotype...
    I wear what's close, baggy, comfortable, and oftentimes I look tacky and "frumpy". But I'm comfortable. :slight_smile:

11. Just Passing

Not necessarily. There are a lot of people out there who dress well and aren't gay.

That being said however, I never took any interest in fashion (and still don't) and prior to realising I was gay, I never took too much interest in my appearance, except for school where it was necessary to dress well. When I started college, I discovered my personal dress style and I still wear it to this day, all suited up and everything and it was around that time I truly realised I was gay.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

My two older brothers dress extremely well and they're both completely straight. I, on the other hand, just dress ''average'', I guess. I wear some polo shirts and khaki shorts at times, but I'm far more of a jeans and sports apparel kind of person.

Though, I've always got to have newer shoes and they have to be clean.

13. kem

kem

I don't think dressing well is something that is directly related to being gay. I know straight guys who dress strikingly well - one person actually wears sportscoats and blazers to school - and gays who are unbelievably poor at choosing what to put on. My clothing style is quite casual and shabby, my shoes are falling apart, I never iron my clothes and almost all my trousers are a couple sizes too big. I don't mind wearing women's clothes either and I have a couple of women's shirts. I'm fabulous.

14. Lewis

Nope. I am terrible at shopping for clothes! I went through a stage where I wore really terrible cheap looking clothes, but that's all resolved now! I usually wear Chinos (I know a lot of people don't like them), Toms and Polo shirts (buttoned to the very top!).

15. sugarcubeigloo

Yeah, I do. But, I know it's wrong considering I don't really spend a ton of time mulling over what I'm going to wear. I mean, I do have standards. For instance, I would never walk out of my place with sweat pants or athletic shorts unless I'm actually working out.

So yes and no. Yes, I do associate dressing nicely with being gay. And no, because I know better. :lol:

16. RebelD

I don't think the way you dress shows your orientation. I mostly wear clothes that are comfortable, like t-shirts, jeans and shorts. I don't really like formal wear, hate a tie!

17. Deaf Not Blind

could depend on location too. like trying to fit in with other gays if they notice that in them. i do know some here that overdress up nice. hey at least they are clean-cut, good to look at not gross. i kinda wish everybody dressed up a bit more, looks nice to see people care about how they look. but some people their minds not that way. i know some gays who dress, well, dirty shirts, old out of date women's sweater, a cape cheaply made. yeah no kidding.

btw, i would not want to be assumed to be gay just for dressing up nice sometimes. if it tends that homosexual men dress nice, it would be a shame if straight men HAD to start dressing badly to be sure to be assumed "straight."

18. FJ Cruiser

It's not so much the clothes themselves so much as how they fit. The tighter (and brighter now that I think about it) the guy's clothes, the more likely he is to be gay. Still, it's a weak correllation.

I don't dress high end at all. I'm way more casual, but something about how my clothes fit makes people think I dress well even though I'm just wearing t-shits and khakhi shorts. Apparently I came in fourth place for best dressed guy at my high school as was revealed to me by the student council secretary. Nobody has taken as a tip-off to my orientation either, as they shouldn't. Two of my best friends dress to the nines all the time, one because he likes fashion and the other becuase he's in a fraternity. They're as straight as can be.

#18 FJ Cruiser, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as I like the colours, and can afford to not to worry about it getting damaged, I can wear pretty much anything... So no, I don't fit all the usual "gay fashion victim" stereotypes... But I do care a lot about how it all looks on me, even if it's a plain T-shirt.

#19 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  20. Brenny

Ok THAT is what I meant to say! Though tight and bright clothes to seem a little gay. I fight the urge to dress in that manner a lot.