1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oh meh. is there any reason why I shouldn't delete myself off EC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

:rolle:

I mean is there any reason I should stay here.

Why bother?
    meh :shrug:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

I'm not saying you should stay if you don't want to, but I found this site when I was down in the dumps. It really helped me and I feel so much more comfortable with everything. I mean, It's a whole community of people who have similar, if not the same, troubles and issues that you might have-- people supporting you and all that. Try having fun here-- it might be worthwhile, but if you don't want to be here, no one is making you stay, right?

3. Ianthe

Responses to this are likely to be biased, as you are asking a population of people who continue to participate here.

I hope you will stay.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Don't know what responses to expect really. Guess I'm just down in the dumps and it's nothing EC or anyone else can help with.

:frowning2:

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

Yeah. You're right. No one is making me stay which is how I see it.
    My issues - EC can't help with and neither can anyone else :rolle::rolle:

5. Ben

Ben

You say that nobody can help with your issues? We'll all be happy to chat about finding resources for you in the UK for anything. And sometimes it helps to just get your feelings out there.

If you decide to leave, then you're always more than welcome to come back. Maybe you'd like to just log out, take a break, and come back if you want to talk to anyone?

6. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm already out of the closet to everybody and I really don't need anymore help here with all of the stages of the "I'm LGBT" stuff. (except I'm still working on accepting myself, but whatever)

The personal reasons that I stay? I have quite a few. Obviously the initial reason I joined was so that I could be with others that are just like me while I was coming out, and I had support. Nowadays the reasons are these: If a random problem comes up in my life whether LGBT-related or not, I have EC. If I have an LGBT-related question, I can ask EC. When I'm in the mood to help others with what I know, I go to the Support and Advice section of EC. If an awkward question pops up in my head that's sort of too awkward to Google or ask my parents, I (though very rarely) go to the Anonymous section. If I'm in the mood to chit-chat with other LGBTs, where I can feel accepted and safe no matter what I talk about, I have EC. And sometimes, I just pop in for a few minutes to welcome somebody into EC, and have the good feeling afterwards that I just welcomed someone with open arms when most of the time they're feeling down and need help in their life.

They're little reasons (and I also hope I'm not misusing the site at all :icon_redf ) but they add up for me (I say "for me" because everybody has different preferences, you may not agree with my reasons, or have different reasons for being here). In the end, I just really like EC because I can be myself and not have to worry about society's beliefs. I also like the feeling of helping others, because we've all been down that road where we're lost and desperate and need help, and I certainly don't like the feeling, so I want to try to help get rid of it from others. :icon_wink

As I said before, we all have different preferences, and possibly different reasons for being here, but those are just some of mine that maybe you'd like to think about. Stick around a little longer and see how things go, maybe? If you decide in the end to quit EC, then it was nice seeing you here, even if I never had a one-on-one conversation with you. If you ever need help, just come on back. We'll be here. ^^

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Thanks

But all these issues I've already ranted about in my threads and I think its just a case of a lot things on top of each other that's got me down

8. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Ditto :slight_smile:
    And another reason- all these people here, they inspire me, they cheer me up, they distract me.. And, although I will never meet the majority of them, they are my friends for life. Regardless of anything anda everything. I for one take comfort in being a part of a community.

But noone is forcing you to stay here. I would just advice you not to delete your account if you do choose to leave, and come back anytime. If you ever need advice, want to vent, or just feel lonely, you are always welcome :slight_smile:

And about those problems of yours? I think you might be surprised at how much EC can help you.. Even if it just cheers you up.

I hope,you dont leave, at least not right away :slight_smile: but maybe give it a little more time, an account here is always going to be a safety net to fall back on if ever you need it :slight_smile:

9. PurpleDinosaur

:thumbsup:I think that you are a beautiful person and if EC helps you then by all means, do stay. However, if EC is just dragging you further down you might want to take a hiatus from it.

10. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

1) You can't say I'm "beautiful person" cause you don't know me tbh

2) I'll probably will take a break from it. Get my head sorted/cleared

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2012 at 11:16 PM ----------

I think I'm all vented out. If I vent anymore then I'll just end up repeating myself. Just think I should take a break from EC

11. King

King Guest

If you're going to shoot down peoples attempts at cheering you up, you might want to take some time off from EC. If you don't find that EC is helping, and you aren't enjoying yourself with the members here, maybe you should stay away for a while. And if you feel like you want to come back, of course you can.

12. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. I think it best before I say something I regret
    Thanks

13. Ianthe

Oh, by all means take a break. You were going sort of full throttle there for a while. No one expects you to keep up that pace.

You can participate as much as makes sense for you at any given time--but why delete your account? Just log out for now and come back later when it makes sense for you. Your options are not limited to "create ten threads a day" and "delete my account." If you don't have anything you want to talk about right now, just come back when you do.

14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're feeling overwhelmed, I would suggest taking a break as well. For a few months, I completely avoided even checking out this site because I was just feeling so down about myself and overwhelmed by all the concerns other EC'ers were expressing. Just felt like too much for me, that I couldn't deal either with my own problems or help anyone else.

That doesn't mean you should delete your account, EC is a great resource, but it's usually not a bad idea to take a break from the internet from time to time. :slight_smile:

15. BudderMC

Well, does deleting your account solve some of your problems?

If it does, then by all means do it, even though a lot of us would be sad to see you leave. But ultimately, EC is built around people wanting the best for other people dealing with tough times, and if that's what's going to help you, then so be it.

16. HunterN95

This. If you need help with personal issues, there are people here (including myself) who are more than ready and willing to help, but nobody is twisting your arm begging you to stay. If leaving will benefit you in the long run, then maybe it's for the best.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feeling depression, and feeling hopeless SUCKS. I've been there, I know what you're talking about because I've felt it. And when you're down, you are absolutely convinced that nothing will make it better. Been there too.

What I found, for me, was that when I was most down, if I could bring myself to talk to people, it might not immediately lift me up (particularly if they say unhelpful stuff like "Oh, you just have to wait, it will get better" or "Oh, I'm sure you'll feel better soon.") Not that those aren't well-intended comments, but, for me at least, they didn't make me feel better.

But what I found was, even if they didn't make me feel better, if people just kept me communicating... that helped.

Here's a metaphor my favorite researcher/social worker Brene Brown uses : If I'm down in a hole, someone can stand up at the top of the hole and say "I'm really sorry you'r down in the hole. I'm sure you'll get out soon." That's sympathy, and it's totally unhelpful. But if, instead, someone says "I see you're down in the hole. I'm going to come down there with you, and we'll get out of there together." That makes a HUGE difference, and DOES help me get out of that hole.

So... there are plenty of people at EC that have been down in that hole. Quite a few are down in the hole right now. And many of us who aren't down the hole right now are very ready to come down and join you, and be with you, and work together to find your way out of the hole.

That's the reason I'd stick around :slight_smile: