1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dying" in dreams?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BudderMC

I'm a little bit curious as to what people's experiences are when they're dreaming, and the scenario involves them getting killed (in whatever way). I've had a couple of these lately, and usually it ends up with me internally freaking out, half-waking up and hiding for cover (like full-blown hiding) under my blankets until I kind of snap back to reality.

I can't remember where I read/heard it (Inception probably, lol), but supposedly if you "die" in dreams you're just supposed to wake up?

Anyone experience something like this?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I get these kinds of dreams I usually just wake up but am able to fall back to sleep pretty quickly. I haven't had one like this in quite some time, which is good because I tend to remember parts, if not most, of the sequences in my dreams. Not good...

3. I like the ones where I'm falling and I see the ground rushing towards me, but I usually just enjoy the feeling when I wake up. I like the feeling of adrenaline rushing through my system. Then when the feeling is gone I just go back to sleep hoping for the same dream.

4. Zontar

Dying in your dreams can't kill you any more than dying in a video game.

5. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I once had a dream where I'd died & became a ghost ... it was actually kinda cool :slight_smile:

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The only time I remember dying was in a dream I had when I was little (single-digits). I got stabbed through the stomach with a pitchfork. I'm pretty sure I just woke up, like any other bad dream.

7. Ianthe

Dying in dreams often means that you are going through some kind of major transition in your life--the end of your "old life" and the beginning of a "new life."

My guess would be that you are having a lot of dreams like this because you are in the middle of coming out. Or possibly, you are unconsciously preparing for the rest of your coming out.

8. unknown12

I agree with Ianthe. I had dreams about death frequently when I was coming to grips with myself. Don't get them as much anymore now that iv'e accepted that i'm Gay.

9. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have these often, but not recently. Two of the scariest experiences I've had were one where I was shot and one where I was forcefully injected with some sort of poison. Both of them I just woke up 5 seconds later, but I forced myself to stay awake for 5-10 minutes because it freaked me out so much. :icon_redf

The rest of them are just mostly skydiving without a parachute. Those ones are actually fun! :grin: Until you hit the ground...

10. Kyubi

i drowned once and died....i actually felt my body slip away and then i woke up....it was kinda scary and it felt very real but nice lol. There was another but can't seem to remember it.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2012 at 12:41 AM ----------

don't think it would have positive effects on your psyche or emotional wellbeing though....i mean - die in your dreams enough times and i guess you'll probably die from your brain deciding you're dead....or believing it at least, maybe you'll turn into a veggie or go into a coma.

11. Zontar

Nope. Unless you have a heart condition and the depicted scenario drives your pulse way up, there's no way dying in your dreams can kill you.

A recurring death nightmare's effects would be no different than any other recurring nightmare.

12. Enaithor

I don't remember dying in a dream, ever. But I have a very strong fear of death (more than most) so I wouldn't be surprised if I have had a dream like that and just repressed the memory.
    I have been already dead in a dream though, it's pretty odd. When that happens I tend to forget how to do stuff like walk for the next 10 minutes or so after waking up because when you're dreaming that you're dead then you tend to move more based on willpower than actual imaginary muscle movements. At least I do anyway lol

13. secretguyX

I used to freak out when I had these dreams, but now they don't phase me.
    I do sometimes die in dreams, and sometimes I get paralyzed, but it's not often.

That's actually probably really true. I had been having them more often when I was first coming out, and when I was going through other rough times.

#13 secretguyX, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  14. BudderMC

Interesting. And I'd definitely be okay with that, so long as it means I'm subconsciously getting towards the end of this goddamned coming-out process. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used ta have dreams like that too. They involved getting eaten by leopards, eaten by a massive wolf like creature, eaten by bears, basically just getting eaten by masses of different animals. They weren't too bad through when i woke up i recovered quickly, i forgot to mention i was also eaten by a shark in my local swimming pool.:slight_smile:
    I'm not sure what they signified was happening in my life but i haven't had many dreams like that in a while so i've probably gotten over what was bothering me.
    Maybe its because i accepted my sexual orientation? don't know.

16. Lewis

I always see my own funeral, but I'm never actually dead in my dreams.

17. ive had about 2 dreams where i havent (well from what i can mind) dreamt of anything as such but my life flashed before my eyes and i felt like i was dying..... have to say my life was quite disappointing. hahah. then there was a blank white sheet, then i woke up. really odd.

then aaaaages ago i had a dream where a guy shot me in the ear and then i fell to the floor but i (my spirit i guess) rose up and went up to the sky and then i woke up.

i have odd dreams. :s

18. cagedcanary

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    one time i had a dream that i was sitting at a camp fire and someone was sitting across from me and i didnt know who the person was and i had a weird feeling that person was like a demon or something very scary and it tried to kill me but then i woke up and i had a scratch on my arm... it was really odd... my friend tells me im a wild sleeper so i probally accidentaly clawed my arm while i was asleep at least i hope it was me and not my dream demon yikes

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

my dreams terrify me all my dreams usually have someone dying in them or getting injured i think its my minds way of telling me to lay off the midnight candy kitchen raid

19. Harve

I normally wake up just as I'm 'dying'.

Freud would have so much to say about this. :')

20. Naren

I used to suicide in dreams a lot... sometimes I'd wake up and sometimes I'd attend my own funeral... morbid, no?