1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thatoneguy333, Jun 4, 2012.

1. A couple of my friends tell me they have never had any kind of alcohol and then there are my other set of friends who love it. I prefer to drink on special occasions or whenever my parents say I can but even then I'll say no sometimes. When did you start drinking and for what occasions?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very anti-drinking up until I was 20. First few times I drank were honestly for bad reasons - depression was setting in, and my exact thought was "I hate everything, and here is vodka." Honestly, that's still really the only way I drink - when I need to take a break from life. It generally ends up with me crying on someone.

3. RealityCheck

Luckily I don't have a strong taste for it. I don't drink liquor at all. I like to drink beer when I am out socially, but I don't have it at my home unless friends are coming over for that specific reasons. I could live without it forever, but it has made for some fun times and memories. I kinda wish my family drank some. Get togethers are far to boring. I guess to answer your question I drank first when I was 14. Just tried it with my friends. We didn't have much to try and it tasted gross so I didn't again until I was 16 and at a party. I tried beer there and actually like it ok. So the context of my young and quite illegal dealings with alcohol were restricted to a few parties during high school. After I turned 21, I drank with buddies from time to time, but again it may have been once a month or so. I just adapt to how the people around me are.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never cared much for alcohol and I think that's a good thing. Once in a while I'll have a glass of wine with dinner but besides that I don't drink. I've never even had a glass of beer before but the smell just turns me off.

5. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i started drinking a little before new years and right after i started coming out to people. until then i made myself seem like i was against alcohol in all forms for the longest time.my family had tried to trick me a few times but the taste of alcohol makes me cringe so i had always avoided it. honestly i believe i allowed myself the freedom to drink when i started coming out because deep down i never wanted to get drunk and spill the beans about how i loved guys and i loved looking at their abs lol. i only drink on social occasions though ive been alone and drunk before and honestly that only amplifies how lonely i feel so the more people around me the better but even then its not that often.

6. Porphyrogenitus

Alcohol is fine as long as you don't overindulge (ie. get drunk), basically.

I was allowed occasional small glasses of wine since I was 12 or 13, I think. Drank more independantly, at parties etc, at 16 or 17. But I found out I don't like getting anything more than tipsy, so I don't. Nowadays I mostly just drink socially, or sometimes a glass of something good (port, or gin and tonic, or whatever) to relax in the evening.

7. King

King Guest

I only drank twice, both times I get drunk (once when I was 15, and once when I was 17). It was just for fun, and looking back neither times were very much fun. Now, I've essentially ruled out alcohol altogether. :slight_smile:

8. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I got drunk last summer, and it was fun (and deep drunken conversations are fun too :lol:slight_smile: but I regretted it afterwards, especially because I realised buying the alcohol was a waste of money :s, and also you feel like shit when the buzz wears off. I loooove wine though, although I don't really like beer (and I hate RTDs! Yuck!)

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't drink at all. I simply don't have any desire to.

10. BajanBoy13

I know this sounds really weird because I'm only 14,but I drink sometimes when I go out to parties with my friends :s.But the laws where I live are VERY lineant,its practically legal.

11. I have to admit I'm a wine person. I like to drink but I know when to stop plus it helps that I can hold my alcohol. (My sister can't funny story but not on here).

12. BudderMC

I don't drink because of personal/family reasons, but I wasn't really keen on the idea before anyway. It just seemed like something all the "cool" kids did because they could (and because it was illegal, lol). And it's expensive, and not particularly healthy, etc. etc. Though I remember ice wine being very good...

13. BajanBoy13

That's So true BudderMC.It seems the more illegal the things you do the 'cooler'You get.Like 2 weeks ago ssome people I know got expelled from school for 1 selling drugs and 2 buying drugs...and they are my age!

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got drunk twice and it's never been something that I enjoyed at the time or felt good about afterwards.

15. timo

Whoahh reading this thread makes me feel like an alcoholic. I go out and drink beer with friends at least once or twice a week, sometimes even more, and I have a cupboard full of great Belgian beers and some whiskeys at home. I like beer.

I don't get super drunk that often though, and even when drunk I almost never have a hangover (maybe once a year or so?)

16. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Drinking at 16? tsk tsk. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have 1 friend who is like this. She's weird as sh*t, but we've known each other for like a decade now and keep close. I've had sips here and there of whatever probably around the same age as you. My first time heavy drinking was in college. Freshman year to be exact when friends and I starting playing drinking games. I never had a fake id or borrowed a friends so I waited til I was 21 to fully hit the whole bar scene and went to happy hours on a every 2-3 day basis. But even aside from that I drank at parties and social events. Typical young adult drinker here.

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I first tried a sip of alcohol when I was about 14 or 15. Not really a lot, just a small sip from one of my parents' glasses during a family birthday or Christmas dinner.
    (Which is pretty much the standard Belgian experience, I guess: legal drinking age here is 16, and most people get to try one or two sips before that).

Even after turning 16, I never really drank a lot. I'd drink a glass on special occasions, and that was it. Two factors contributed to this:

- My uncle was an alcoholic. That whole story did wonders to convince me that getting drunk wasn't even remotely cool.

- I always had this vague fear that if I would drink to the point of it even slightly affecting my inhibitions, I'd say things I'd regret (to be precise: accidentally out myself, though I was too much in the closet to admit that even to myself)

So I usually kept it to two glasses an evening, max. Enough to appreciate the taste, but not enough to have any appreciable effect.

And that's pretty much how it stayed. I like the flavour of some cocktails and liquors (I have a fairly large collection of spirits, though I also just like to collect exotic liquors from the places I visit), but usually only drink one or two glasses on Friday and one on Saturday. Only twice did I drink slightly too much, and even there it never got to the point of feeling sick afterwards.
    As a Belgian, I do have one startling secret: I don't really like beer. I'll drink it if there's nothing else, but generally, I'll forego it for anything else on the menu...

18. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is my thought process and also my life experience exactly.

19. julia

I first started drinking when I was about 16/17, but I've only been drunk three times in my life. Now at 20, I only drink at parties (which I very, very rarely go to), so like a few times a year. I don't like it much and only do it so I don't get pissed off by the other drunk people.

20. GayJay

I started drinking a few beers in Christmas and new years when i was about 11. Around 13 i started going to party's with my friends, they were all older than me (around 16/17) so i drunk almost every weekend then.
    I slowly stopped hanging around with these friends as i was getting in a little bit of trouble. I didn't drink then until i was 15. Now i only drink on occasions, friends birthdays, Christmas or new year, when i left school. And some weekends, or i just chill watching a movie with my girlfriend having a drink.