1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My step-father had a question for me that I was unable to answer honestly about trans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SMiLeitsme, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SMiLeitsme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So we were watching t.v. one day and for some reason we got onto the subject of transgendered people.
    "Why would a girl have a sex change and the get back with other lesbians?"
    "I don't know. I think it is more of a gender identity thing. It's like with Michael Jackson, he eventually identified himself as white even though he was really black."
    I know, bad example, but can someone help me figure this out.
    I personally do not see the appeal of a sex change, but why not stay lesbian with a dildo?:help:

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: My step-father had a question for me that I was unable to answer honestly about t

It's because their gender identity has nothing to do with whom they like. Female to male transgender people don't identify as female because the sex would be "easier," but because they are male. They aren't lesbians, either; they're straight. :slight_smile:

3. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: My step-father had a question for me that I was unable to answer honestly about t

Steve got it bang on the head.

A FTM transgender person is essentially a man trapped in a woman's body; if they are sexually attracted to women, then they are a straight (or bi) man. They have the surgery to match their external sex (female) to their internal gender (male), as since the sexual attraction unchanged (obviously) they can be happy in their own skin as a man whilst being happy with a lady that they love.

Gingerbread person time, if you're still a little confused with sex, gender (identity) and sexual attraction (orientation):

Attached Files:

4. GayJay

Yeah there's so many confusing things with trans, hard to understand i think. But yeah how you feel inside and you identity has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. I think both are imputed into you before you even know what it is and you have no choice in them,so it's understandable MtF still liking girls.
    Kinda like the way lesbians don't like penis but are happy to use dildo :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Doesn't make sense but yeah...
    Personally i plan to have gender surgery in the future. After that i will say i am straight, but now i am gay, even though inside i am male.

5. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

The whole "dildo>penis" always got me. So I look at it as more "woman>man." After all, most straight guys would rather have anal sex with a woman than a man, right?

Back to the topic at hand, being trans isn't about what I like it's about what I am. Like a really tough guy being forced to dress in frilly pinkness, but worse, because your'e the only one who can see it.

6. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, Solar cat, me and another person were privately discussing that. I have tried to wear all the stuff I found attractive on the girls I really like, but after getting all of it on, I look in a mirror or take a pix with my camera...and there is a guy staring at me looking like a drag queen and it is me, and i am NOT a gay man! I felt humiliated, low, and yet everybody encouraged it, said i look so pretty, and all the time I was internally thinking Why are my Christian conservative friends and family even grandmothers telling me to act gay?? they did not see what i do, or I should say...my actions, body language, personality they DID see as odd, weird, different, tom boy, and yes gay as in lesbian. NOT ONE said are you a man trapped in a female body. transexual? Im thinking nobody knew about it, just like your family does not,SML.

I really wish there was a tiny bit of education on it for everybody about age 9? would have seriously helped me, maybe started on testosterone or hormone blockers as a teen!

anyways, IF a born-male feels female, then they can choose to go all the way female with many seriously expensive painful surgeries, because they just must do it, like a woman with a horrid mastectomy has her breasts reconstructed. And transexuals do the opposite surgery, too bad we can't just swap! :slight_smile: Anyways, if they do it, they can be straight, bi or gay just like anybody else. I was told hormones can alter it for some transfolk too, kinda scary thought. Also, you can't feel a dildo like a real penis, which would you cis-men prefer, silicone or flesh? yeah, me too. See, all guys agree real is best. But not all transmen opt for surgery, as it costs a lot, has same dangers as any surgery of complications or death, and it looks not real enough to some of us so I wait for better ones.

Does lack of a penis make you not a real man? Good question, huh? Well, some cis-women have the reconstruction after cancer because they feel less woman or because they fear men will. I never thought of a woman without her breasts, or with massive scars as less womanly...and if she were the woman for me, id marry her tits optional. Many women have to have their ovaries removed, usually near menopause, but sometimes earlier for cancer...they are now sterile, and to me 100% woman...and beautiful, and i would tell her lets adopt. she may feel less real, that don't make it so. So, does me not having a penis or being able to produce semen make me not a real man, even if I feel less of a man for being unable to make my woman pregnant with my children? just something to ponder...

#6 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Ianthe

Gender identity and sexual orientation do not determine each other. There are plenty of transgender men who are attracted to men, meaning that they get surgery to become men and then go on to date men. My lesbian choir has 2 members that are transgender women (they were assigned male at birth, and identify as women). They date women, because they are lesbians.

Transgender people experience distress because people refuse to recognize their true internal identity, based on their bodies.

What you need to understand about transgender people is that the gender they are transitioning to is the true one, and their assigned gender is false. A transgender woman is not a man trying to be a woman, she is a woman whose body appears male. No matter how much she insists that she is a woman, people keep saying that she is a man, because of the way her body looks. The fact that she has a body that others perceive as male prevents people from seeing and recognizing who she really is as a person. She may also have a deeply internalized idea of what a woman's body is supposed to look like, and experience profound distress because of the discrepancies. So, she may have surgery to make her body appear more the way people, herself included, expect a woman's body to appear.

Likewise, a transman is a man whose body appears female--not a woman trying to be a man.

8. Naren

They said it for me lol