1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So. I've been think... again :dry:

And well. When it comes guys I like or a guy I would like then the whole feminine way of acting just turns me off. I mean the guy doesn't have be entirely camp but if there's just a bit of camp then then it really bothers me. Whether its how they walk, dress and attitude if they a little bit camp then it would bother me.

Is it wrong to feel like this given that the majority of gay guy are somewhat camp in one way or another? (Or maybe I'm totally wrong on this)

Does anyone else feel like this?

:dry:

:icon_wink

2. King

King Guest

No, but you may have to settle.
    Or you may find out you're fine with people being like that! I only realized about last month that I would prefer a boyfriend who is a little more feminine. Or a whole lot. There is a line, though.
    Just give it time. If you aren't attracted to camp guys then don't worry about it. Just don't be rude about them, either.

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would disagree with this.

And I wouldn't worry about this too much, you'll be dating a person not a stereotype.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Oh I know. I'll never be rude

I guess its some of aspects of camp gays that I don't like

5. Noir

This is a stupid question, but is "camp" a slang term for an effeminate guy? I'm a les, so I wouldn't know, I don't think. :confused:

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. In a sense

:slight_smile:

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't beat yourself up, you just don't find "camp" guys attractive. It's really not a big deal because everyone has different tastes. If you where to be rude or hate them because of it, them it would be a problem, but I don't think you do so there is nothing to worry about.

8. Ianthe

Camp, in reference to gay men, usually refers to femininity, and is used interchangeably with other references to femininity very often. However, technically, it refers to a specific kind of theatrical, over-the-top femininity. If a guy is truly camp, it doesn't just mean that he is feminine, but maybe that he is kind of a diva.

Many gay men are feminine without being camp, but they are likely to be accused of being camp even if they are not. Many feminine gay men exaggerate their feminine behaviors in defiance, because people try to suppress them so often, and this can result in camp in a person who otherwise wouldn't be camp. (Actually, even masculine gay guys sometimes do this.)

Gazza123, it is fine to have a preference about your partner's gender expression. Most people do, in fact, although not everyone. It's nicer to state what you like rather than what you don't like, though, at least most of the time. If someone asks for details, you can tell them what turns you off, but mostly stick to stating your preferences in terms of what you like. And try to always state your preferences in a way that acknowledges that the opposite preference would also be valid.

Plenty of masculine men are gay, and you will be able to find ones that will like you. I recommend that when you meet guys, though, you "look to like." Meaning that you don't scrutinize their behavior looking for the trace of camp that will turn you off, but instead look to see what you might like about them.

It's very common to be uncomfortable with gender variant people at first. Try to consider making friends with some feminine guys, even if you aren't interested in them romantically. Once you know a few people like that, and you begin to see them as whole, fleshed out people, you will stop feeling uncomfortable with them.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2012 at 11:43 AM ----------

I just want to encourage you to express this. There are not enough people willing to state openly that they like feminine guys, while lots of people say the opposite all the time, and I think it's terrible. Often, when we do get guys on here who prefer a feminine partner, they start out as ashamed of it. So, just think how much a difference it can make to all the feminine guys reading on here, who are home feeling bad about themselves, to have you say that you prefer it.

I try to be really explicit about preferring butches for the same reason.

Gazza123, one thing I didn't say before, is that you want to be particularly careful when saying anything about feminine guys, because they are constantly given bad messages by society, and you don't want to reinforce that. Very importantly, if a camp guy (or anyone you aren't attracted to, really) is interested in you, don't act as if you think it should be obvious that you aren't interested. Be flattered, even if you are turning someone down, and let them know that you appreciate their interest in you.

I know you already said you won't be rude. I've seen it a lot of times, though, and I wanted to mention it not only for you but for other people who might be reading this.

9. Christopher

Christopher Guest

Hello Gazza,

Your post is an interesting one.

I have many, many gay friends of all ages and all types. Some are 100% male yet many are either fully or slightly effeminate, or camp as you say. I'm afraid I must agree with you and say that as a potential sexual encounter or partnership, camp blokes just don't do it for me. I don't find them attractive.

Over the years, I have come to see this as part of my dislike for feminine things, their softness, their shape, their fluffiness and though I love women for all their strengths, talents, abilities and nurturing qualities........and their glamour, I could no more take one to bed than I could fly to the moon.

When I encounter a camp bloke, I think some of me sees ' femail ' and as a consequence, sexually, I am turned off. However, I have to qualify all of that by stating, without reservation, that many of my closest, dearest gay pals ARE camp and I love them to bits.

They are loyal, generous, selfless, genuine and total comedians, or should that be comediennes? Whatever, as people and as friends they are without a shadow of doubt the people closest to me and I am grateful for them.

Don't feel bad about your feelings...............we all have our foibles and I have almost given up trying to rationalise most of mine.

Try to love and respect your fellow man no matter his appearance or his tongue.

That's always a good starting point when you're wrestling with an irksome issue.

Regards,

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/images/smilies3/banana.gif

CHRIS

#9 Christopher, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012