1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious and Gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thatoneguy333, Jun 6, 2012.

1. How many are gay and religious? I was just wondering because my mom asked me if I still wanted to be confirmed even though I was gay because it's a sin when I came out. (Not what I wanted to talk about when I came out)

2. Kyubi

lol, i'm not gay and also not religious. I kinda dropped my faith as soon as i realised it was getting me nowhere and i did that even before i realised and accepted my feelings/orientation.

3. Emberstone

depends on the definition of 'religious'. it is not a simple thing.

There are spiritually religious people, and their are opertunisticly religious people.

Spiritually religious people tend to be supportive of LGBT people because their faith transcends what other people tell them they are suposed to believe. They actually grapple with faith, and think considerably, even meditate on matters of faith understanding. They dont think they have all the answers, but they never stop searching for them.

Opertunisticly religious people tend not to have any real faith or spirituality, but a strict adherence to what other people tell them that they have to believe... these people tend to be anti-LGBT. They are opertunistic because declaring themselves to be religious is a way in which they assert a false-superiority over others. They rarely actually grapple with anything, and faith is one thing you cant find in them, because they think they have all the answers, and those answers come from people who, like the faithless opertunisticly religious person, likes to preach because it makes them feel certain that everyone else is a worse person than they are.

There is of course a spectrum between the two, and to divide it only into two groups is grossly simplistic, and innaccurate, but mainly, these are the two extremes.

I have never met a spiritually religious christian that is homophobic.

I also have never met a oppertunisticly religious person who isnt homophobic.

The only way, really, to hold the belief that LGBT people are hated by God is to not be capable (often by choice) to even know God.

4. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not religious, but it has nothing to do with the fact I'm gay. My immediate family has never been religious at all.

5. castle walls

I'm bi and Christian and my gf is also Christian (Catholic more specifically) and a lesbian

6. Deaf Not Blind

im Baptist. im embarrassed of what i am. but i still go to church since realizing i am not just a sinner, i am also transgender and liking girls is not going away.
    Jesus does not say in my Bible in any part of it that any person CANT go to heaven for doing any sin btw, so even IF being gay, or being myself, is a sin...still I can be a follower and get in, because Jesus said He is the way...not STRAIGHT is the way. :slight_smile:

7. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What an interesting way to put it, Emberstone...I know I didn't ask the question, but I was definetely thinking...I've actually been grappling with the whole issue of being a Christian and still being gay...It really gave me something to think about... Thank you, Thatoneguy, for posting this. it really helps...

8. Thanks everyone this is helping me too. :slight_smile:

9. Deaf Not Blind

if we don't talk about it, we are not truly seeking the truth, and can't ever be truly free. seek and find.

10. I would rather ask the question and get negative results then not ask the question and get no results. But so far positive results :slight_smile:

11. Deaf Not Blind

exactly! :slight_smile:
    i never asked a question...and i did myself a disservice.
    it goes for all important things in life...and afterlife.
    im glad i know i have options.

12. What didnt you ask?

13. Deaf Not Blind

until this easter, i refused to look at transgender as an option, until about christmas i had refused even gayness as a possibility...because i refused to allow myself to seek all possibilities i believed i was the ONLY person in the world who went through this, i was surprised when i read on i thin kWikipedia for definition of transgender...oh i am not alone, and there is a name for this...dysphoria!
    See, and some people are deathly afraid of asking if their religion, or atheism, or hold on a denomination of Christianity...could be off... and if they did a ton of research to prove and disprove they would walk away richer for it.

although i am struggling to find where my sin ends and natural normalness begins with my religious beliefs, i still am glad i found out i am not a single solitary perverted evil person trapped inside a Christian church going body...im glad i found out i am a human who made mistakes and can maybe help myself by helping others who are struggling with same issues.
    not coming out kept me from seeing how others felt and not only made me fear being caught, i may have said things i do not believe now that hurt gays. :frowning2:
    its better to seek truth, and ask all hard questions, and willing to admit mistakes.

14. I'm glad things are coming together :slight_smile:

15. Brenny

I don't believe you can really mix religion and homosexuality. It just doesn't work. I understand why some do but it just doesn't mix well in my opinion. It sucks because I have been very religious my whole life but I don't know anymore. I don't like to argue with people about it though. Do what you like.

16. Granted I don't like some of the things that religous people have said about gay people at my church but I do like some of the people I have met up there and some of them are pretty close friends.

17. Deaf Not Blind

I hope homosexuality does not make all gays leave God, because Heaven will be less happy without them.

I think what people say, hate the sin not the sinner, they are trying to help and just don't understand because they are not gay, not because they are trying to hurt you. i was taught that, and i said it to two of my gay friends...before i admitted to myself i am not a straight person exactly either. suddenly i got why it made them hurt...i had no idea it would i thought it would make them happy! now i see it all differently. and when i Catholic woman i know visited every word she said about Obama, "those gay" agenda, and oh wow...I could barely handle being in her presence, it was more like the devil than God...and suddenly i realized i am now on the opposite side of this.
    again, it maybe a good thing, now i can relate to my gay friends! so one of them i came out too, he had already forgiven what i had said cuz he knew i meant well, even though it hurt, and now he and me are even closer. like brothers. :slight_smile:
    so, maybe i can be a good friend to some of the Christians who don't get it, and try to help them be even more kind in words and deeds?

#17 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  18. tristan22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm homosexuality attracted but not embracing it because of what I believe and it feels like I'm the only one here and I'm in the wrong forum lol.

19. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not religious myself, never have been either, and neither are my parents, but I have a very close friend that's been struggling with just that lately. She's a Christian and (probably, since she's not completely sure yet, but that's what she calls it) a lesbian. But because she didn't really hide it and openly talked to someone in her church about liking girls, she got kicked out of that church's community. It's sad because she actually doesn't have THAT much of a problem with it, but sometimes the quite large amount of people that say they don't approve of LGBT rights because of their religion, she's struggling at times. Looks like it's been a bit better lately though. I think she's slowly starting to accept it more.

20. SunSparks

I am! Keep in mind that I am a Hindu - so, for at least our scriptures, there is nothing that is against LGBTQ mindedness. I have faith in my religion - not necessarily the people who practice it - but in my religion.