1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too many haters, openness debate and free expression stopped with verbal attacks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

be it my religion, Christian, or my opinions on females...I find certain people can't help but attack.

can be subtle, like "oh, I'm helping correct you as you are insulting me by speaking your thoughts on here" but often it goes on and on and on...even following me on completely different threads.

so i love to have a place safe from predators to figure things out and get opinions and advice, and give back.

but one thing i can't handle is that attitude....which strongly prohibits my free speech, free expression, and stifles strongly my ability to say what i need to in oder to get across how I'm feeling.

note, I've NEVER been attacked for saying FUCK, or putting my dick into a girls vagina, huh?

But be it I say to somebody anything religious or about having problems with females or being thought of as lesbian...I get WHACKED? WTF? Bet nobody comes after me for those three letters.

So, I am going to flat out express my opinion again and see if some haters hate on me for it: I may actually stop posting. THAT IS RIGHT! YOU can WIN!!! You can maybe get all people to stop posting who have issues with women, or being called lesbian, or who are Christians! YEAHHHHH!!!

And what is your prize? Free reign on a website. Big deal. And in the meantime, it keeps people like me petrified to speak what WE feel because of being verbally attacked, and it not ceasing, and I think you know who you are.

So YEA go celebrate...instead of going to Pride and to LGBTQ group and posting about it here, or trying to offer my help as best I can, I will go off and cry now. Satisfied yet?? You bitches go sing a chant or something...you kill off another man today.

2. sanguine

huh? well if you're talking about how proper our posts have to be on EC i agree, there are times where i just want to say fuck off or are u serious? or really? but i cant and i dont post on threads so i dont sound like an asshole

and then there is that problem where people take what you say out of context and then trying to argue a point completely different from what i was trying to say in the first place, or they think they know.

so yea im with you if thats what you're talking about, or maybe this can turn into another rant thread.

3. ArcaneVerse

It's the way of forums, EC is actually quite well mannered compared to many other forums but in saying that I completely understand your frustration.

A lot of it is just misunderstanding and then over reacting, there is only soo much you can get across in text to a bunch of randoms.

Also people tend to speak in general terms and statements which is handy in the moment but people always read too much into them and then abuse people for using them, while using those kinds of statements themselves.

Religion is always going to be a tough one here at EC because the majority of religions (especially christian ones) are very anti gay and don't mind being vocal about it. Now not all Christians are bad, not all religions are bad but the majority are and when Christians and churches are being talked about here on EC its in general statements about those specific bad apples. You just have to look it at that way and most of the comments wont seem as offensive.

There is always going to be a lot of hate and anger about these things here on EC because this is a place for people to not only feel safe in the happy uplifting things that go on here but in the bad venty, raging, sad parts too.

People have a right to their opinions but people also have a right to oppose them, granted a bit more civility and desire to understand the others point of view would go a long way in calming arguments but everyone has a touchy subject or two or has a bad day and takes it out in the wrong way.

sigh im half asleep and rambling me thinks...

Basically, not everyone is going to like your opinions and your not always going to like theirs. Have your say then walk away if its not your thread, if it is your thread then ignore the attacking comments or politely ask them to leave your thread.

This happens quite often and then it all gets out of hand in the end. People should ask more questions and for clarification before they voice harsh comments but unfortunately that doesn't happen often.

4. Deaf Not Blind

HAHA! Yeah that is kinda my point. like if you start a thread, even a rant one, and peeps who DONT like it, don't like the title, go on it NOT to support you, not to make a joke to cheer you, but to correct you...and to berate you, and to tell you that your thread about YOU is insulting to THEM...and it aint even about them!

To you all who do this...JUST DON'T POST TO IT! Duh, let those who feel drawn to agree and support the person post. Don't just read the post with a determination to BASH the guy who made it, and don't bash the person who then tries to support him! Ganging up is like BULLY!

I got it bad for posting about a serious personal experience, and my point besides ranting, and getting support pats on the back, and some joking around to cheer me up, was to actually admit i was wrong about stuff...to be a good guy. Instead, some women who seem to be man-haters came on it to bash my soul to smithereens because ever word i used was offensive to them personally. They felt insulted, even though i had not been on their threads, and had not met them, and it was MY thread, and they had not been posting to it yet! How can a person be personally insulted if they are not even a part of it in any way?? No, THAT is out of line...it is wrong to be name calling a person, saying they are a woman-hater, because you hate men.

sure i know most of us have had some issues in our lives, and maybe some women got raped as a kid and hate all men now, but i don't see in THIS site any kind of hate being okay directed at the person trying to seek help. And by hate, i mean purposeful ganging up with others to tell the person how to talk and how not to talk, how to think and how not to think....even IF they are right...this is counterproductive....unless they don't really give a shit, they want it for just people who are think-alikes.

if you are not trying to attack somebody, and are either joking to make them happy, or you are trying to give advice or encourage them, people who have had bad past with either men or churches should either not post...not post anything about that person's comment....of go away from that page for a moment to calm self down and regain perspective before posting something hurtful from emotions they should regret. But I see a lot of hostility and bigotry that comes out in reading a previous posters supporting comments or jovial manner, and they feel they have a right and duty to be condescending and destroy all the kindness that person had put into it by berating their religion and other non-harmful comment.

i would post actual examples, but you can see them easy enough if you see my past threads i started, or recent posts trying to help newbies and got followed by people who like to bring up the past comments i made somewhere else i guess and don't recall...but boy howdy does that person! Why on earth would somebody here keep posting after me on almost all threads, and now they are "correcting" me on them?

But I give you this...as long as YOU post on my thread to help me, help others, and just kidding and joking around, i don't give a shit what religious stuff you post or personal deeply help feelings you express, just nobody can hate on me or you or anybody else by picking apart every nitpick word you say and then after dissecting it, reword your sentences to make it as if YOU were a hater! That i will no longer tolerate...enough.

so POST ON!

#4 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What exactly happened? I'm a bit confused as to what led up to this and what made you feel as though there are users who hate you.

6. Deaf Not Blind

Yep, 99.9% factual facts there.
    But as for the religious thing, I was speaking more of like if a person was actually starting a thread asking about if what they are doing is a sin, and that they are seeking how to deal with religion and their gayness, and then others try to help, some saying you can find a way, others say no you can't...that is all fine discussion...but then one person will read a positive comment saying yes or perhaps you can and saying God or Jesus, and this new poster will start bashing all churches or Christians, or worse yet besides saying we should not be allowed to post anything religious here at all (banning that is like crucifying all gay and trans believers, just shoot us now bigots) they will bash that previous poster to shreds.

That is what I am getting at as for religion. I know one kind poster here is not Christian, but lives in a religious nation of Middle East, and so far I have not seen him hate on me. See, if someone from a Hindu or Muslim background feels no need to take personal offense to Christians who are struggling with discovering they are gay, and wants to reach out to help support his gay brothers, why would a lesbian need to verbally abuse a transman for saying he don't understand how women think, or why would a gay agnostic man need to say the previous post about oh say "God loves everybody and we should all love each other and have no hate cuz hate is from the devil" should not be allowed to be posted, or that the human being on the other ends of posts is stupid because they believe that?

Yeah, online you can't see the person's face...it is anonymous. so things can get bad fast. But because of the nature of EC, it should not be a place where people gang up to berate somebody for another poster taking some words out of context, restructuring them to be offensive to women or atheists, or whatever else it could be reimagined, and then a group of them start harassing the poster on that thread and not support the original intent. This place should be about support for the poster. And if that poster after you write to them trying to help them should turn out to be creepy, or cruel, or you suspect they are a poser not really have an issue, or a troll, just stop posting to them, or you can turn in to EC admins. :slight_smile: It is NOT our job as posters to correct everyone's speech patterns constantly, to be the PC policeman here, or to prohibit religion (as if we can't search for how to come to grips with it here, how can we out in the world?), or to find fault with each other. If something offends you bad enough, just report it.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I was about to say something exactly to that effect. If you feel people are going overboard in their posts and are attacking other members, please do bring it to our attention so we can do something that about. That's what we're here for! You can use the post report feature (this button: [​IMG]) for a specific post or start a thread in Ask the Staff for something that requires more exposition.

If you don't tell us specifically who is doing these things and where they are doing them, it's hard for us to do anything about it. So please, help us help you! We want all our members to feel welcome here (excluding the creepers and trolls, of course :icon_wink).

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean. I hate it when people take things the wrong way.

I also know what you mean about religious beliefs. I might not believe in anything now, but at one point I was a christian. I respect all religious beliefs even if I don't agree with them. People are allowed to believe what they want to believe.

Also, we are all in this together. We don't need people telling other people how to think. We also don't need to tell people that they don't "Think like (insert whatever here)."

I also agree that we do not need to correct grammar on other's posts. I am a bit of a grammar nazi because I work in media, but I do not take that out on others. I correct my own posts. I don't correct others posts (unless they ask about their english, then I help them in a respectful way.)

9. Deaf Not Blind

thanks everybody. the responses here are clearly honest, good natured, and beneficial.
    i hope everybody reads them and takes it to heart.
    no matter who a person is, if they are here for support give support, they don't likely come here to find another bully. :slight_smile:

10. FJ Cruiser

Yeah, there were a few bullies, that though they didn't bully me, disenchanted me with this site for awhile. But I came back after a little, and they've since gone away. While this is the most intimate corner of the Internet I've bothered to find, you still have to take people's posts with a grain of salt.

11. Deaf Not Blind

yep, and i would love it if my beloved haters would read up what we said here and become pacifists!

come on, lay down you arms!

make love not war....and ok, if you don't want to with the men, just don't shoot us, ok?

(ps.FJC nice avatar!)

12. starfish

Well the religious threads are certainty a problem, the wheels usually come off those pretty quick. The political threads can get heated, but that is usually just Emberstone and RedState bickering back and fourth. I usually find that humorous.

However I for one, don't see the systemic problem you describe. This is one of the best behaved forums I have found during my years on the internet, and I have been on the internet for a long time. For the most pert everyone is very supportive.

You seem to be speaking generally, but it seems like you are upset because someone has been personally attacking you. In that case, please follow Owen's recommendation and report it to the staff.

Also it sounds like you hold some unpopular opinions. I'm a Gay, atheist, liberal with libertarian leanings, who dosen't believe in marriage, and live in Texas. So I certainty know the feeling. Just have confidence in what you believe and if they get too annoying say to your self "Fuck you dolphin"

13. Deaf Not Blind

FU dolphin?

bahahahaha!

oh, a mod came on my thread...i had begged them to understand me that i had not been trying to offend them personally it was how i write things (generalizing) and that they had taken some things opposite the meaning (i was trying to be humorous and humble, they literally took out each positive aspect of female in my list and thwacked me for listing their negative ones...hey I have negative and positive aspects abt me too, deal in reality!)...but there got to be so much venom spewed at me or anybody who tried to agree with me, brutal name calling, for a short time it was locked.

but later...idk why...maybe after i told mods what was going on, they maybe pm some posters to not write there anymore idk...the thread was reopened!

So I always report anybody who I think is trying to name call, ridicule, or demean a person, or their sincerely held beliefs, as the Admins and Mods can perhaps explain better why they should not do that here. granted on other websites you may see a lot of foul mouth cruelty hurled...but this place is about supporting everybody...all means all...so like they wrote above, only the predators and trolls are not welcome. We should all be able to express what we think openly on our own threads to get out what our issue is...and be able to receive honest full answers...and not fear somebody is reading what we write because they want to start a fight. (yeah, i do think the one woman just was looking for a fight)

honestly, if a thread does not look interesting to me, i just don't click! if i am curious of title and read and don't like it, i just don't post! and if they are discussing something i disagree with and i choose to post, i expect a civil discussion as i will not be looking for a fight here...there are a lot of scared and very fragile souls...i prefer to try to use humor, my hope from my God, personal experiences, and give them a reason not to kill themselves...not make them think they are a bad person for their post (which could make them go over the edge or at least leave EC).

I am happy that a few ladies who are lesbians are now my friends here...I was starting to think I should keep faaaar from any, as the attack on me came just after problems I had with a lesbian who wanted to date me, bad timing. I like my friends to feel safe to disagree with me or warn me if i am heading wrong path, but i prefer friends to enemies.

Peace