Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th Jun 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Gazza123

Tournaments Won: 75

Tattoos?

This topic is merely for my interest and anyone else who finds it... well... interesting. Anyhow's

Would you date someone who has tattoos?
(Now this can be from some merely as a one or two to a whole lot)

I know that its the person underneath that counts but I just want to get some peoples perspective on this.

I only have two tattoos and don't plan on getting anymore.

From my point of view, a few tattoos is good for one (1,2,3) but when there's like a full body or arm, you get what I mean then it sort of turns me off. I mean they could be the nicest person in the world but the tattoos would really turn me off.

Anyone else got opinions and thoughts on this
Old 7th Jun 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Say Something Nice
Administrator

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Tournaments Won: 4

Re: Tattoos?

This is actually a really good topic, and touches upon an issue that I have fought over for quite a few years with myself. I loathe the idea of being with somebody (or being the person) who tries to force their morality on another person, but tattoos and piercings are something that I have a strong dislike of and have caused me to be guilty of holier-than-thou judgements.

I guess it would ultimately come down to what type of tattoo it is. It would be very easy of me to make sweeping statements about how I loathe tattoos and piercings and would never go anywhere near somebody who has them, but my boyfriend has a little piercing in his ear and it doesn't really bother me that much now (assuming it doesn't rub against my skin, which really does freak me out). If he was to also get a tattoo then I would just hope it isn't invasive and screaming out its existence. I know a couple of people with discrete tattoos and I wouldn't find them off-putting if my partner had something similar, but numerous tattoos or gigantic ones are just a big neddy no-no.

My parents both have about 3 tattoos each, and the size of them are fairly large and stand out like a christmas tree whenever their arms are exposed. It's one of the rare cases in which I attempt to lecture my parents on their behaviour, not that it has ever done anything thus far. Both of them have a tattoo that has my name on them, which I can't decide whether that makes things better or worse.

But yeah, at a push I could handle small and discrete tattoos, but anybody who looks like an infant has scribbled marker pens over their body is a no-no.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Ukeme

Out Status: All but family

Would have no issues with it depending on the tattoo(s), amount, and person. Some tattoos look terrible while others are fine. Tattoos in general just look bad on some people, while it looks fine on others imo. Same basic criteria for amount too.
vyvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
EC Addict

Out Status: Mostly out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
This is actually a really good topic, and touches upon an issue that I have fought over for quite a few years with myself. I loathe the idea of being with somebody (or being the person) who tries to force their morality on another person, but tattoos and piercings are something that I have a strong dislike of and have caused me to be guilty of holier-than-thou judgements.

I guess it would ultimately come down to what type of tattoo it is. It would be very easy of me to make sweeping statements about how I loathe tattoos and piercings and would never go anywhere near somebody who has them, but my boyfriend has a little piercing in his ear and it doesn't really bother me that much now (assuming it doesn't rub against my skin, which really does freak me out). If he was to also get a tattoo then I would just hope it isn't invasive and screaming out its existence. I know a couple of people with discrete tattoos and I wouldn't find them off-putting if my partner had something similar, but numerous tattoos or gigantic ones are just a big neddy no-no.

My parents both have about 3 tattoos each, and the size of them are fairly large and stand out like a christmas tree whenever their arms are exposed. It's one of the rare cases in which I attempt to lecture my parents on their behaviour, not that it has ever done anything thus far. Both of them have a tattoo that has my name on them, which I can't decide whether that makes things better or worse.

But yeah, at a push I could handle small and discrete tattoos, but anybody who looks like an infant has scribbled marker pens over their body is a no-no.
Exactly.
Steve712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Well Known

Out Status: Out to closest friends

I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo, or if I did, it would be something small and inconspicuous. As for other people, some people look good it them, some people don't (in my opinion). I mean, I don't think I'd typically like someone who had lots and lots of tattoos...but then again, Whitney Mixter looks sooo amazing with her tattoos. So, totally totally depends on the situation!
snowflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Sometimes quiet is violent
Community Facilitator

Orientation: Queer (biromantic/panromantic gray-a)
Out Status: No longer lurking in the shadows.

Tournaments Won: 4

I really don't mind as long as it is not a ridiculous amount. It's a turn off for me when people have a massive amount of tattoos. I don't mind one or two. It also really depends on what they are and where they are at.

BradTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Well Known

Out Status: Out to everyone

I have tattoos, so I would be a hypocrite to say that I wouldn't date a guy with them. In fact, I think ink is sexy.
brocub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 06:32 PM   #8
the road is long, we carry on

Orientation: Asexual? Bisexual? Lesbian?
Out Status: Immediate family

I absolutely LOVE tattoos as long as they're not tacky or in a tacky place. I like hidden tattoos I have three but you wouldn't know if I wore a t-shirt. One a bit below my neck, one on my left shoulder blade, and one right above my hips.
but I've got a war in my mind.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Jad

Out Status: A few friends

I would date someone who has tattoos as long as they aren't meaningless, I used to hate tattoos but now I've realised it's none of my concern what others want to do. Although I probably won't ever have a tattoo, it doesn't bother me if someone has a few (I've grown to like sleeves even!) but also depends on what and where they are.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Thatoneguy333

I don't mind a few but a lot is a big turn off, or if the few they have are just stupid to me.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Route466

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocub View Post
I have tattoos, so I would be a hypocrite to say that I wouldn't date a guy with them.
This. As long as the art is done well and with a considerable amount of thought, tattoos are not an issue for me.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 09:51 PM   #12

Out Status: Some people

I find tattoos sexy, especially ones with colorful designs. It's totally fine with me as long as not excessive.
johnnymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Orientation: Lesbian

I used to be revolted by tattoos, but then I became very very close friends with a girl in my grade at school; she has been planning what tattoos she's going to get since she was 10 and talks about it quite frequently. I guess that made me realize that nice people have tattoos. Though I wouldn't get one myself, I don't think I'd mind dating someone with tattoos. Maybe not humongous ones, though
Snowy song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Well Known

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Immediate family and everyone on facebook

I have 2 tattoos, plan on getting more, and do find them attractive, even heavily tattooed people. Bad art or "joke" tattoos are instant turn offs, though.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Well Known

Out Status: Some people

I am currently planning a full sleeve for my left arm and a few for other areas of my body (I have to keep at least one arm free of tattoos for a potential phalloplasty, otherwise, I'd be planning two sleeves). Tattoos turn me on so much. I love them. Well, no. This isn't entirely true. I like well-done tattoos. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the content, so long as the tattoo means something to the person who got the tattoo. It just bothers me to see poorly done tattoos. It hurts my heart. I have a few piercings currently, and I'd love to see these on my potential partner. My ear and nose are pierced, but I love lip rings and nose rings and various ear rings on a partner. I'm not so sure I have the stomach for genitalia piercings, however.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 11:30 PM   #16
thedreamwatch

I love love love tattoos.
I have three so far and I am planning on seven total. But of course all of them are tastefully done, very meaningful to me and easily covered if necessary.

I love checking out people's tattoos and to be perfectly honest, I hope that my future gf has them too
Old 8th Jun 2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Well Known

Orientation: Bi
Out Status: I've only been specific with a few people.

If there are too many and/or they are too big, then I'd rather not. But I did start to become interested in a girl recently only because we seemed very compatible otherwise.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
King

It depends on the person. I know someone who would look highly I unattractive with sleeves, but I've seen other boys with sleeves that are just HOT.
I don't like little, silly tattoos like hearts or moons or suns. They look pointless, but whatever.
I personally want tattoos, and it's suck to have someone not date me because of them.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 04:31 PM   #19
EC Addict

Out Status: Stuck

I'm not a fan of tattoos and I don't intend to have any on my body, but I wouldn't mind dating some with tattoos (I could handle that idea more than piercings) provided it wasn't way too over-the-top.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Well Known

Orientation: I like the ladies
Out Status: Complicated

I have tattoos and plan to get a bit more done. All highly artistic though - no impulse ink on my skin.
Personally I couldn't care less if someone has them as long as they are not tacky tattoos that have no meaning - I'm fussy in that respect as I see tattoos as an art form and not something to just randomly cover yourself with.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote