1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar? What is it? Do I have it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Nothing serious

I know this maybe a stupid question or maybe not I don't know but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

Can anyone explain a gaydar is please? People say it, people say they have it? But what is it actually.

Does every gay person have one? Can straight people have them?

Just curious that's all. Not reading much into it just wanna know if anyone can explain it

Oh and how do you know if you have one? (Odd questions but its one I'm gonna go with

2. Its just when you can tell someone is gay but its really based on stereotypes. Of course it's not 100% accurate.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

thanks. People just mention it and I'm like "what, you have gaydar?" :confused:

4. vyvance

Doesn't really have to be based off stereotypes, rather just mannerisms in general. I act far from the stereotype, but I have had someone ask if I was gay on occasion. Of course, that was back when I was still in denial so maybe I was giving off some sort of overcompensation/closet/denial vibe.

As for if I have it, I dunno. Seem to get some I bet he is gay moments, but I've never asked anyone to actually confirm my hunch.

5. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Yeah, vibe is a good way to describe it. Some people claim to have it. Some disagree. A lot of the time, it's just plain obvious. Although I guess it would make sense for gay people, or those who have met many lgbt people, to be better at judging people for queer mannerisms and yeah, vibes. :grin:

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. vibes good way of describing it.

Gaydar = Gay Vibes or something along those lines. Anyways that's my question answered

7. Snowy song

I feel like it's more like picking up on little clues that only another gay person would notice. I think as far as the gay "vibe" goes, that's just a matter of a stereotype, and I don't think it matters if you're straight or gay or whatever. I think gaydar is much more subtle. It's about paying attention to the kinds of hints you tried to drop when you were trying to start coming out, etc.

---

Also, about the gay vibe thing, sometimes when I meet somebody for the first time, there's just this bell that starts dinging. It's not like I'm trying to think about it, but it just kind of happens subconsciously. It's about 80% accurate, I think. any thoughts?

8. Ianthe

THAT is gaydar. When you just KNOW someone is gay--and you typically have no idea HOW you know. It feels almost magical.

What happens is that your unconscious mind picks up on some things that are too subtle for your conscious mind to be aware of. It's multiple subtle things that in your unconscious mind meld together and scream GAY at you really loud.

Most people with good gaydar are gay. People usually only have good gaydar if they have interacted with a lot of gay people, and knew they were gay. Your unconscious mind stores subtle data about all the gay people, and you learn to recognize them. It is never 100% accurate, because it's all based on things that will not correlate 100% of the time. But the longer you are out and interacting with other gay people, the better your gaydar will be.

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2012 at 09:30 PM ----------

Stereotypes are not part of gaydar. They are another, less accurate way of predicting someone's sexuality. They are mostly types of gender variance. Gender variance correlates with variance in sexuality at a higher rate than chance, but they both present on their own a significant amount of the time as well.

9. Deaf Not Blind

but i never had anybody guess i was transgender. :slight_smile:

so either gaydar is broke or it can't distinguish a vibe of not female from not straight female.

10. Willisilliw

It's weird, I can only describe it as like a built in Geiger counter. I find it to be mostly subconscious, but one big indicator is their eyes. Just see if they are checking out the hot girl or the hot guy.
    I also find it interesting as to who sets my "gaydar" off, because, sometimes it will be a very homophobic person... I'm not sure if it is because my gaydar is a bit off, or if the person is just in denial about who they are.

11. rainbowfox

this is exactly what i experienced :grin: you just know :grin: