1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun fact! Re: Homosexual acts & the Bible

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudderMC

So, for those of you following along, I finally went into my high school today to talk with my chaplain about the GSA stuff. But the topic of homosexuality (or rather, homosexual acts) in the Bible came up and I figured you guys might appreciate this.

She wanted to clear up the misconception about why homosexual acts are forbidden in the Bible. She went to school for religious studies (or something) and studied scripture, and she says that back in Biblical times, men would brutally rape their wives/other women as a form of punishment. This was obviously forbidden. As such, since they had to "bend them over" to commit such an act, and you can't really do it other ways with two men... it was also forbidden.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it's just some food for thought. :rolle:

#1 BudderMC, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kinda sounds like revisionist history to me, but I don't know

This is what most 'Christians' use to justify hating us, but the thing is, a lot of the same people agree that Leviticus is crazy and ignore the rest of it. If they eat seafood, wear clothes with more than one material and shave their face, then they have no right to be using that verse to justify homophobia.

3. Hawthorne

Yeah hmmm thats true now that I think about that... I was raised as a christian and I remember a conversation about that at some point...

4. Deaf Not Blind

it also says not to judge let Jesus be judge, because as you point the sliver in his eye you don't notice the log in your own. many of these people have had straight sexual encounters unmarried, or done other things considered an abomination to God. thus, we all are equally sinful, and Jesus paid all our debt...not one is fit to judge, so i pty those who do. they will be judged more harshly.
    perhaps we should practice forgiveness and love?

5. Hawthorne

Have I told you I love your insight if not, I LOVE YOUR INSIGHT!:thumbsup:

6. BudderMC

I think she was talking about that Leviticus passage actually. I don't know, the conversation kind of died off awkwardly at the end... I guess it was to be expected getting a chaplain to have a conversation about homosexuality AND sex, all at once, no matter how chill she is. :rolle:

You would think, right? But I guess some people are too busy worrying about everyone else :rolle:

7. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My apologies if I offend anyone, but after having been raised in church for 17 years, going to every meeting they had and reading the bible, today the bible seems nothing more than a collection of mother goose tales interspersed with accounts of history. Religions have their good points, but there has been way too many people who've killed in the name of religion for my moral compass to be directed by words from King James or the like. IMHO religion isn't much more than a tool used to control people.

8. eveninghush

joeyblack, I actually completely agree but feel like I'd be labelled 'sceptic heartless atheist' if i said anything like that. Nice to know someone shares my opinion. I believe in the moral lessons, but the outdated details regarding seafood and such just complicate modern life. For the record, I also believe in some sort of higher power. And similarly to you, I've spent my 16 years in an Irish Catholic churchgoing family.

9. Mad Man L

In a way, that does make sense. As I've said before, anybody who takes any bible verse from Leviticus seriously is an idiot.

But in regards to the bible: If I were religious, I personally would probably take the bible metaphorically speaking. In fact, if Christianity did take many of its parables metaphorically speaking, a lot more people might believe in God.

Instead, priests and religious people praise Jesus and how he 'parted the seas' and 'stopped a storm' and 'turned water into wine', and in the new 'Age of Reason', this doesn't rub well with a lot of people.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It isn't. Anal rape was a common practice throughout the ancient world to punish and humilate people.
    More-over a sizeable number of theologians and historians agree with/support this theory.

The thing is, abomination means against religious practice, not damnable.
    It refered to things that should not be done when partaking in or preparing for a religious ritual or ceremony.

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2012 at 01:27 AM ----------

This 2.

Most improtantly: Why would an omniscient and all powerful creator of the universe care what puny humans do in the privacy of their bedroom, or worst of all oppose a loving and consentual relationship between people of the same sex?!?

11. Deaf Not Blind

AWWW! :grin:
    Thanks! (I helped teach Sunday School. I take love seriously. And I take it seriously to tell the truth.)(*hug*)

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know we've had this discussion before, but abomination does not solely mean something which is inappropriate in a religious ceremony. It means something which is against nature and deserving of disgust and hatred.

13. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, from what I've observed, the people who are most judgmental and attend a church are not living the Law of Moses very well! If you don't know what i mean, i mean the old testament was to show the Jews how they COULD NOT be good, that no matter what they do to try to be good, they will fail, thus to stop trying to be judgmental of self and others as that is more what the devil wants. Instead, we are to cry, be humble not stuck up, and tell God we realize we CAN'T do it! We as a man are imperfect, prone to do things wrong and make mistakes, and can NEVER enter heaven as God is so pure He can't be near us no matter how good goody we try to be! So...then what HOPE has ANYBODY?? Not just gay people, hello...ALL mankind!

AHHH...read what the Psalms say, and Isaah! These men were born and died thousands of years before Jesus was born...but they say it all. That there will be someone who will die so we have a chance, an opportunity, to be forgiven. It does not say forgiven for having anal sex with another man, it says for all our sins and wrongs to God and other men. The old testament passed away with the coming of Jesus, and He fulfilled the LAW we can't, and no man can...only Him...He lived a perfect life, blameless, and he took all the punishment for you and for me and for every straight and gay person that has ever graced the fair earth.

Jesus on earth, in a man's body, had a hard life too. Everybody in his hometown thought his mom was immoral and loose, and that was a wrong judgement, she was chosen not a slut...how would it feel to hear gossips saying your momma was a whore? Jesus, according to protestant text translations, had several listed half bros and sisters, and until his death and resurrection, they were embarrassed of him, they heard their mom say Jesus is the Messiah...which meant to many that time a tough dude who would kill the Roman pigs that had enslaved them and become a mighty King like David. How would it feel if your brothers and sisters you love so much and grew up caring for when your dad died didn't want to even claim you as their own brother? Jesus hand picked his best friends...he picked poor foul-mouthed sailor fishermen, and cheating-theiving IRS tax collectors, and in his last hours they all rejected him. How would it feel to have absolutely not ONE person you helped in life stand up for you at trial and tell the truth that you are innocent, and as you are led to your painful death be mocked and not one person not family or your dearest friends even say a word to help you?

Yet on the cross, Jesus forgave a man who was guilty of sin and crime and was also being put to death for it. Only God can forgive a man's sins. Jesus does not withhold forgiveness. His prayer example said may God forgive us in the same way we forgive others who do us wrong. If any man will hold a debt against another and not be willing to forgive, how can he arrogantly go to the Pearly Gates and expect God to allow him to enter?

Since you brothers brought it up, I will tell. Not one person can enter heaven, unless he loves Jesus and follows his commands...not Old testament Laws...and His yoke is easy...Jesus ordered: Love your enemies as yourself, forgive those who sin against you, Love God with all your heart.

For those who choose to say God hates Fags, Gays are going to Hell, or that they themselves HATE anybody...I have a message from the dusty Bible on their shelf: He who hates in his heart is a murder in his heart, and there is no murderer in heaven...another passage says if you say you love God, but hate your brother, you are a liar, because you can't hate your brother and love God.

God made every person, we are one race, and we are imperfect thus we have a really sucky earth to live on. God gives us love and hope. I could not live this long had I not known it, as I was bullied so badly as a small child for so long, and had multiple instances of hate for no reason but I was not like them, and even near death I clung to hope which got me through 51 days in the hospital and an ugly scar learning to walk again. I know I sin...how about you? If so, just tell him this: I can't but you can, please help. God forgives us, let us try to forgive our enemies as we are ordered and ask Him to help us to do it, cuz I find it very hard as I have had so many people do me wrong.

See you in heaven?:kiss:

#13 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds revisionist and completely untrue. The Bible is objectively a homophobic text (Leviticus 18:22) and a violent one at that (Leviticus 20:13). It doesn't stop Christians from being wonderful people, but it does mean that they have to reject parts of the Bible in order to be the wonderful people they are.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

As I pointed out before, that is the modern definition.
    The original hebrew word used in Leviticus is toevah and meant acts that went against ritual:

See also the first part of this video:
    [YOUTUBE]eMUpZ_qravg[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2012 at 09:03 PM ----------

While I do agree that Leviticus is anti-gay, it is actually revisionist to claim that the bible states that homosexuality, as in same-sex attraction, is evil or damnable.

16. Deaf Not Blind

1 Timothy 1:1-15 NIV - Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the - Bible Gateway
    I wanted it in full context. this version has homosexuality in it. But the meaning is what? At 1st looks like a list of things bad. But only if not read in context. At the end of verse 15 you see Timothy not condemn any person, but himself as worst sinner.

Why do people talk so much about homosexuality anyways?

Sex sells??

Seems like the jist here is the Law is made to not be used by the Righteous to beat others over the head with in condemnation, but to assist the sinner in finding hope and some way back to God if he left Him, cuz Tim don't say stone them, he says he is worst...think about it. Shouldn't then Christians all feel the deep guilt of their own shameful acts against God and man...rather than pointing at each other as worse to feel superior?

If you know you are a sinner, and are humble, and sorrowful, and ask God to help you each day survive your thorn in the side, will God not show you as much love as the father of the Progedigal Son?
    Remmy that there has always been self righteous who feel blameless, they are not the ones God says will inherit the earth, it says He detests arrogance. So try not to let it kill your soul...cling to Him even if you are unsure of what your sin is or if your church can accept you...God is LOVE, and He just wants you to not leave Him! Your sex should not be an obstical...cuz He has big arms.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Impossible since the word, much lesss the concept as we know it today did not exist back then.
    Timothy speaks about prostitutes/whores and adulterers, not homosexuals:
    Some translations have turned it into homosexuality but as I said the word didn't even exist back then so it can only be a modern change to discredit homosexuality.

Basically fear of the other and insecurity about their own sexuality/sexual prowess.

A better question would be, imo, would an omnipotent and loving god, who created the entire universe, be against a loving or consentual relationship between two people of the same sex?

18. Deaf Not Blind

I think for that answer, you should call Him up and ask Him directly! :slight_smile:

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You got his number?:icon_wink

20. Deaf Not Blind

yep!

:grin:

He uses wireless, no phone #, thats so 21st century!
    Just look up, nobody around, ask straight up...If you do exist, you love me right? I hear a lot of stuff God hates fags, and God is LOVE...so I want to ask YOU not THEM! I want to know: as an omnipotent and loving god, who created the entire universe, can you be against a loving or consentual relationship between two people of the same sex?

then wait...He will give you an answer.

I prefer asking the source rather than others who think they know someone anytime. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.