1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time at Gay Pride!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frozenandbroken, Jun 8, 2012.

1. So, title is self-explanatory. It's going to be my first time going to the parade!! (!):eusa_danc(!) I'm really excited, but kind of nervous. I'm suppose to be meeting with a couple friends tomorrow, and then there'll be a group of us just enjoying our time. But, what can I expect other than the awesomeness of it all?

Was anyone else a bit nervous to go their first time?

Also, how um "easy" for lack of a better term, is it to make some LGBTQ friends at one of these events. In an effort to get myself out there more, I'm looking to make LGBTQ friends other than online. Because, I don't do the bar/club scene often (ever), but I heard that's not really a place to make friends or meet your partner anyways for that matter. But, I don't care if I don't meet anybody, I'm not going there for that. But, everyone is pretty friendly, no?

2. Deaf Not Blind

ours is not until next week, and i never would have gone near one...um, until now.
    my friend who is gay is sick, and not many people at the Queer group i met and the nice transguy was painful shy.
    so it is up to me to go alone, if at all.
    tell me how it goes tomorrow and what you saw going on, ok?
    best of luck!:thumbsup:

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Went to my first Pridefest last year, and yep I was nervous before going. That nervousness went away once I was there..

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

This year will be my first time at pride, too, and yeah, I'm a little nervous. Part of it for me is the only person I have to go with is my mom, though apparently we'll be meeting with a gay coworker of hers who wants me to help film him arguing with the anti-gay protesters... :confused:

I think some LGBTQ groups use the festival as an excuse to have a meetup for their members, but the only one I know of is for lesbians/other queer women.

5. Deaf Not Blind

ugh...you are 19, just ditch them when you get there...it could be ugly him "arguing" wanting to look cool on film, just what u need to have fun huh?

6. Well, as SimplyJay said the nervousness went away quickly once I was there. Unfortunately, we were half an hour late, which was enough to miss the entire parade portion of it. But, of course we stayed for the party :wink:

Overall it was really great. It was just a big group of open-minded, free individuals having a good time. We had drag queens, furries, goths, bears, straights, gays, lesbians, transgendered, queer, genderqueer, asexuals, hippies, people from the occupy protests, half naked guys and gals running around in their underwear and decked out in body paint and glitter, children, families, Oi, (Am I missing anyone? :icon_bigg) Everyone coming together to have a really good time. It felt pretty much the same as any Canadian party I've gone too, but more "fabulous", people were having fun, dancing, really friendly, although that might've been the alcohol. Haha. Although too much excess, because my friend and I went to the mall to use the bathroom (people were having sex in the port-o-potties) and when we got back there were 5 ambulances. :0 Yup, though. There was concert performances, and all that. No protestors, but I don't really think we ever have any where I live. I guess from what I've heard from other people and their pride festivals, I imagined more. A couple friends who were there for the actual parade took photos. The parade didn't seem all that great compared to friends I have from other places in the world who have photos and videos of their parade. It was still nice though, lots of people.

They had a few places to buy things, bought a flag (lost it on the bus ride home:dry:slight_smile:a wrist band, hat, and green shades. But, this was just the party/parade part I guess, all until 17th they have stuff going on. Of course more parties though.

I guess it's just the Canadian party style I've grown accustomed to. Still an awesome time. Actually I was talking to a couple people from Scotland, and some people from Australia! ^_^ They came all the way here for the gay pride festivities, they apparently love how Canadians party. LOL!

I would go again, maybe. It was just way too crowded (which is good, nice to see all the supporters) but I don't like crowds that much. And long lineups for everything. Fun times though.

And, Tetraquark. I know this is your first time too, and I really hope you enjoy yourself. ^_^ Here, they love when Moms and Dads come out to enjoy the parade and party with their kids. I don't know it might be awkward because of the flamboyant-ness of it all. I think it'll be fun though. Hope it will be. Although I agree with Deaf Not Blind, you might want to do your own thing and having fun instead of arguing with protestors. :frowning2: Seeing as how it is your first time, you don't want that to be your first experience, or if you do? I do hope you have fun though!! Same to you Deaf Not Blind! (*hug*)

Happy Pride Eh!

7. Deaf Not Blind

haha! Stereotypical ending with Canadianism Eh! hahahaaaha!

This Saturday. oh boy.
    Do I do it?
    idk
    I am easy going, I can be happy anywhere...but I am not a drinker or drug user, and flamboyant could scare me a little...reminds me of clowns, all the make up and big hair, and clowns are scary.

I wish you both would go with me. Then I would know some real normal people were there and not feel like I was in another country.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be going this Saturday!! I'm really excited about it!!

9. Deaf Not Blind

tell us all about it too.
    if i go i wil take camera and post.

10. Eh! Haha!! Ya gotta have the "Eh's", Eh!? ^_^

I totally think you should go! At least once, I've been out for approximately 3 years, and this was my first time at Pride. It's fun. And even though there were a lot of people from every walk of life. There were still just regular people there, just enjoying the festivities.

I don't drink often, or use drugs either, but we didn't start drinking until later in the day. (Some people started at like 1:00 pm...Canadian thing I think.) But, I was still having such a great time without the booze. I mean I really don't know how people are where you live. But, everyone was so friendly and talkative while waiting in the lines, and just chilling in the courtyard watching performances. It was so nice. You don't need to have the alcohol or anything to have fun. ^_^ Everyone was smiling, greeting each other "Happy Pride, Wooo!!!" Complimenting outfits and hats and everything, taking pictures with random people, giving each other hugs. Never got hugs from so many people in my life! Best atmosphere ever.

And hey, I'd go with you, although I don't know you personally. But, we'd have a blast! ^_^ Haha!

thecat06: YAY!! I hope you have an awesome time!!! ^_^ Is it your first?

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Thanks frozenandbroken and Deaf Not Blind. I should be able to get out of it without too much fuss.

I don't remember hearing about my city's being particularly crazy; then again, I wasn't paying that much attention to it before. Regardless, I'm pretty excited to go.

12. Deaf Not Blind

I said Eh, as it fit in the sentence and we do on rare occasions say in the Pacific NW ok. I was ACCUSED of being a CANADIAN! I was mortified! I told them, Hell no, Im an American! ok, yah, Canada is in America, but we are more American, so we refuse to let others steal our word from us. I can't believe they looked at me and judged me to be one of THEM...I mean, do YOU think I talk or act or look like a, u know, EH?

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2012 at 01:41 AM ----------

(for anybody with no funny bone, the above is based on fact, but is exaggerated to spoof how some straight people react if someone asks them if they are g-EH!)
    :wink:

#12 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  13. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't been to one yet but plan on goin this year.

14. Deaf Not Blind

^everything in Texas is big

15. DanA

Going to my first one at the end of the month. It's Chicago's pride parade so it's a big shindig... or so I'm led to believe.

Anyway, it'll be my first as well but I love meeting new people. I wanna experience as much life as possible.

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pretty cool how that nervousness thing just quickly goes away isn't it :slight_smile:
    Glad it was good & you had fun :slight_smile:

Go for it :slight_smile:
    Cool! .. hope you have fun
    Bring extra batteries too (if you can)
    LOL I think I drained all 3 sets of rechargeable AA's that I brought last year (but LOL I also did some little videos)

@Tetraquark
    I agree with others here.. make sure you enjoy yourself, not just end up recording protests
    Cool! have fun

Should be cool to see then...

-------------------
    I plan on going to PrideFest this coming Sat and/or Sun :grin: (hopefully nothing will come up)

Last year the festival part in Denver made it to 3rd biggest Pride in the US (so guess I've been to one of the biggest LOL was pretty amazing seeing all those people...) The parade there was 7th largest...

I wonder which is biggest? probably San Francisco -or- New York city?

17. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to my first pride festival this weekend and am also feeling excited/nervous (maybe not necessarily nervous though). I've been out just over a year and outside of going to some LGBT club meetings and gay bars twice, I really haven't been around a huge crowd of mostly LGBT people. I'll be going with some gay/bi and ally friends. Like "Deaf Not Blind" said, I'm a little apprehensive thinking about the clown-like drag queens. I'm cool with them doing their thing and being who they are, but the appearance definitely brings up my childhood paranoia about clowns. No one better look like Pennywise there! :wink:

I'm hoping to try making more friends, maybe some that might lead to something more than friendship later on, since I don't feel quite ready for actively seeking out dates right now and the hook-up scene is not for me.

#17 PerfectInsanity, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. Hope you have a great time! :grin:

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 07:10 PM ----------

I couldn't imagine anything worse than being compared to a Canadian. ;P

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 07:13 PM ----------

Oh yay!! :grin: I hope you have fun at your first Pride as well! You'll get to meet lots of amazing people. It's so diverse and fun there.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

Oh wow! That's awesome! I thought mine felt really big. I'm guessing a couple thousand people at mine. Probably more. But, it was crowded! Maybe it's just because they held it in such a tight little spot. I feel like NY would be the largest. Anyways, have fun!! :grin: take lots of pictures!

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

At least you'll have some friends going with you that are LGBT, and having ally friends. I'm sure it makes it a bit more fun. LOL xD They're not scary, I swear!! Actually tbh, there wasn't a lot of drag queens at my event, I took a picture with Cher, and Dolly Parton, and then they just had drag queen performances. But, I only spotted a couple others. There was actually more furries than drag queens there. ^_^

I hope you have an awesome time though and make some new friends!! It's so much fun! <3

19. Deaf Not Blind

Hi5! :slight_smile:

Yeah, in the one time I was with friends who took me into a gay bar, I saw all sorts. And when the shows were over the drag queens came in. OH WOW! I would not be caught dead in public like that, and ok if they are getting paid to perform it is just like theater, but still...
    I am phobic of lipstick. My family, the women, they wore it, red, pink, coral, and then they would want to kiss me. EWWWW!! It leaves a mark! And they EAT it! It gets on a bun and then they eat the bun...puke!
    But the clown at a parade, sammmme town, he saw me, stopped walking, looked at me, came right over to me, oh i was so scared and embarrassed and he try to kiss me! ARGHHHH! My mom was there, did nothing! and everybody laughing, and I was ducking around my mom for a long time until his smiling painted face walk away...satisfied I was now clownaphobic.

*panting*

See why I can't even put on greese paint in a play? I can't wear make up? And it has nothing to do with being a guy either...im sure it is more to do with after birth having my feet in that ink pad and them not getting it all off. Postive!

Yes, I know, "you are weird." Yes.

20. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think when it comes to Pride _crowds are good!_
    Yep I would assume NY is biggest too (found one site that said its more than a half-million :eek: WOW .. but it also looks like there is multiple different NY prides?)
    I found that last year Denver had 350,000 attend (still :eek: wow) I was somewhere in that crowd...
    I'll be bringing the camera & extra batteries again this year :slight_smile: LOL

:yikes: :eek: I'd be afraid of the clown too LOL