1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could choose to be straight, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bob94, Jun 9, 2012.

1. bob94

The title says it all. If you had the choice to just suddenly be straight, would you do it? Why/why not?
    Here's my answer:

I've only told one friend that I'm gay, and I dread telling my family. Two years ago, I would have said "yes" to the choice. It's different now, though. Even with the struggles that I go through from being gay, I don't think I would choose to be straight. I feel like it has helped shape me into the person I am today, and by changing my sexuality, I'd be changing a big part of myself.

2. Willisilliw

No... I don't think I would want to be straight. There was just too much time and self acceptance used that I would want to stay this way.

3. MrHojalata98

No, I wouldn't for too many reasons. Being gay has taught me soo much, not just about myself but about how the world works. I'm not saying I'm an expert but it's taught me tolerance and it's taught me to judge people for how they are not who they are. It's taught me that it's ok to be myself and not to try and be anyone else. And while people argue that turning straight wouldn't take the things I learned away, I'm still learning I don't think im anywhere close to understanding myself but I learn more everyday. And it's all because I'm gay. So like I said I wouldn't change.

4. LailaForbidden

Yes. If i could love men in the same way I love women I would. Everything would be easier... I know I shouldn't think this, but I do. Why would anyone want to be a descriminated minority - constantly having to apologize and fear peoples reactions and feel isolated, like you can't relate to straight friends? Not to mention your dating pool has shrunk drastically. Maybe my opinion change in a couple years. We'll see i guess...

(btw.. i certainly do not indent to offend anyone with this post)

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I wouldn't choose to be straight. If asked this a few years ago, my answer may have been different. But being gay and going through the struggles I've dealt with has helped to make me stronger and more empathetic. Being gay has made me me.

I like the idea of being with a woman one day. I'm okay with falling in love with a woman.

6. bob94

I totally get what you mean. That's exactly how I used to think (and still do, at times). But, just like I have, the world is also changing. More and more people are starting to accept gay people. But you're right, things would certainly be MUCH easier.

7. timo

No, I wouldn't change it. Even though I'm having a quite hard time expressing it to others (but it's getting better) I'm happy with the way I am and I feel like if my sexuality would be different, a lot of other things about me and my personality would be different. Do not want.

8. Deaf Not Blind

um, i am a guy inside, and feel strangely straight saying i would like to make love to girls...but feel scared abt the one guy crush i have makes me just a hint gay...really scared. so, i would want to be born again...haha..male and 100% straight.
    i know it is more logical perhaps to wish i was straight female, but i actually don't like how most female minds think work...dont kill me please...but i mean for me, i think if i honestly woke up loving my body as female and able to have sex with men i suppose yea? but i wouldn't be a boy anymore. :frowning2: so to be straight female really i would need more..my personality would need to be all into lovey dovey to guys and not think about girls anymore, and talking like them about boy crushes and giggly...I just now think of it and get thinking of Twilight Zone shows and how nightmare that would be for me to be a straight female!
    oh wow, no i don't want it...i am confused enough having a crush on a gay man, i think i would really prefer to be a straight guy not girl, thank you.
    if Jesus came and offered to help me, I would ask not to fix my mind, I would ask to please fix my body.

9. SkyHunter

SkyHunter Guest

No, I wouldn't change it, because I wouldn't be the same person. I like being pan, and that defines me. Being straight would "remove" part of my personality and I wouldn't be the same to anyone.

10. Ianthe

I might choose to be able to love more people.

I would never choose not to be able to love the people I can love now. Not for anything.

11. Sayu

I like being myself even if it's hard sometimes :slight_smile:

12. Fiddledeedee

I'd choose to be gay, but not to be straight. And I like being bi best. :newcolor:

13. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would change a thing. If I saw a female, male or tg and there was an attraction I would rather be able to go with it than not feel it at all.

14. Lewis

Even though sometimes it's the worst thing ever being gay, I wouldn't change it for the world. I love men way too much!

It's taught me so much and made me so open-minded! I love who I am right now and being gay has bade me such a better person.

15. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd go along with the things others have said, about how coming to terms with my sexuality has opened up my thinking on the subject. Becoming aware of just how complex it is.

I haven't, or can't remember, outright wishing I was straight. Possibly because my social experience has been limited, as well as that I went through a slow development of thinking I liked girls to I'm bisexual to gradually getting accustomed to the fact I like men, not women. Though my mind is still struggling to get around it, I think I can say, on some level, I like being gay/liking men.

16. No I'm happy for who I am but I'm not saying I want people to go through what some of us go through.

17. BajanBoy13

NO,Men are just soo sexy! and plus if I wasn't gay I would be really close minded and anti-LGBT.

18. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldn't change it...i wouldn't be me if i did. thats a simple fact of life. i remember once being told that it was something i could work through if i truly wanted to, and it was then that i realized there is no straight version of me. you either get the gay me or the closeted me, and honestly the closeted me was no fun.

19. Zontar

Choose to be straight? While I'm dreaming, I wish for a hotter face and body, and tens of millions of dollars.

20. lewis15

Haha, I feel the same way. I like guys too much. I mean the whole reason I'm gay is because I'm not attracted to women.

People said it would be easier, and they're right, it would be so much easier. However, I wouldn't want to give up what I have. Yeah, my life sucks sometimes, knowing I can't be myself around my family and that they probably won't speak to me after I tell them, but I have friends who love me for who I am. And being gay and having to grow up with the world discriminating against me made me a stronger person. It taught me to respect myself and others for who they are. It helped me realize that you don't need to fit in to society and that being different can be a good thing. I love being gay. I can't even imagine growing up straight.