1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty Closets or Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thatoneguy333, Jun 9, 2012.

1. So anyone check this site before facebook? I check EC before facebook because truthfully I like this place a lot more.

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

EC>Fb
    And I never thought I would ever say that about facebook :slight_smile:

3. Lewis

I usually check EC, make a few posts, log off and then finally check facebook. I love reading the posts on here.

4. RealityCheck

I use FB to communicate with family and a small group of distant friends. I get on there like once a week. I'm also not out to any of these people so naturally I come here for my virtual interactions. I'm very dependent on this site as I don't have a lot of lgbt friends yet. Sadly, it is my only real outlet at times. I am so very thankful to have found this community.

5. Ridiculous

I think you'll find the cool people don't use Facebook at all.

6. Oblivion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer EC ^^

7. timo

Even though I'm glad I found EC and really like both as a community and as a place with a lot of helpful information, I still check Facebook first and also way more often. It's kind of an addiction.

8. secretguyX

I probably check them equally. Sometimes I prefer EC over Facebook, and sometimes Facebook over EC, it depends. But I like that I can be myself on EC, without being judged. :slight_smile:

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had been a Facebook member long before being an Empty Closets member. Facebook and EC are totally different communities, and I find a comparison between them quite odd. I understand Facebook as a simple way of corralling friends to do things (like a glorified day planner). EC is a support group, which is not what Facebook is. So ya.

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I almost always check this site before Facebook -- the latter is getting boring.

11. Tim

Tim

Lies.

It's the only way to stay in contact with friends I don't enjoy talking to in person. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. BudderMC

There are periods where I won't check Facebook for weeks, then it'll send me e-mails telling me I have multiple notifications pending <_<

Usually I'll check EC first, because if I've posted something I probably thought it was interesting or important, and want to know what gets said about it afterwards. Facebook is much more casual; it's not like there's anything on there I'm following.

And besides, Facebook sends me notifications to my phone. So when I'm needed there, I know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Silver Sparrow

I usually quickly check my email,facebook, then leave it up and open ec.
    If there's anything important, then it sends it to my email.

14. Ridiculous

...looks like someone isn't cool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

15. sanguine

i use facebook to make a move on my chess games and talk to a friend i pretty much see regularly, otherwise its just there to look at how lame and over rated people are with their clubbing life and going to the gym status updates which get the most random likes ive ever seen.

i use to make alot of comments on EC now i just dont because i realise how pointless my comments are to people who choose their own solutions, so i just make some comments here and there.

16. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chrome opens all the sites I check daily the moment I open it, but I generally will check any Facebook notifications before EC since they deal with real people in my life and may concern me.

17. Bolin

I check Facebook first since I sometimes get messages concerning family or important events that I need. I check EC, but there are a number of sites I check first before coming here.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I often find that I have better things to say about Facebook as a website than most people do. Maybe it's because I have friends that are generally entertaining, intellectually engaging, and awesome people, and I love how I can use Facebook to keep in contact with all of them (I find that people's complaints about Facebook often come down to complaints about the people they're friends with on there, though not always, of course). It has also brought together friends of mine who might not have ever communicated with each other, all through the simple serendipity of the both of them commenting on a status of mine. Maybe it's because I am ruthless about unfriending people who take away from my Facebook experience, or at least hiding their statuses from my news feed if I like them as people and if they don't detract from my experience by how they comment on my statuses.

But more to the point, I do check Facebook before Empty Closets. There are a couple of reasons for that. One, Facebook is easier to walk away from. If I'm using the internet to pass a few minutes, it's more likely that I'll be able to walk away from browsing my news feed than browsing EC. Also, being that I use the internet in place of coffee to wake myself up in the morning, Facebook is a better way to start the day when I'm groggy, since it often doesn't require as much thinking when I check it in the morning as responding to threads on EC does. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A lot of that does have to do with my role on here. Being an admin, I make it a point to at least skim the titles of every thread in the "New Posts" tab when I log in, so if I haven't logged in for a while, there's going to be a lot to check (especially with the recent increase in traffic that the site has seen). If I go the whole day without checking on EC, that can leave me with well over a hundred threads to skim, and I'll usually open up at least a two dozen to respond to. And sometimes I just don't have the energy to do that, so I go on Facebook instead.

In other words, I do log into Facebook first, often because I'm procrastinating on my admin-ly duties. They only recruit the best for the staff team! :thumbsup:

Exceptionally put, sir.

Hmph, I see how it is. :dry:

Hey, we're real too!

19. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't facebook. And with the exception of manga and a few magazines (MAD, Batman, and such), I haven't actually faced books in a while.

I do belong to a few other message boards of various purposes and/ or porpoises, but EC is usually the first I'll check. Mostly because the conversations are of a greater variety of subjects, and I've been here longer, so I feel more at home here than elsewhere.

20. usually i will get on here then ill open facebook and go back and forth but i do check this first