1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried to take my girlfriend out to dinner :/....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

I was spending the day with my girlfriend and a friend of hers and we decided to go eat at the Friendly's because it was close by. My girlfriend was sitting in one booth next to me and her friend across from us in the other. Well the waitress (she looked like she was about 22) came to take our order and my girlfriend and I were holding hands (not in and obvious way but like on the seat between us) and the waitress stared at us with this look of disgust so we stopped holding hands and she took our order. When she came back with the food she just dropped it on the table and didn't look at either of us and I had ordered a wrap and the wrap itself was hard and stale (I don't think that was a coincidence). My girlfriend then politely asked the waitress for a fork, since she didn't give us any utensils, and the waitress ignored her. It gets better. About 10 minutes later, a group of elderly people came in and went to sit at the table in front of us and my girlfriend and I were holding hands again and somehow one of the women in the group saw us and shook her head with a disgusted look on her face and told the group she was with that they should sit somewhere else. This all happened right after my girlfriend's mom cursed her out for being gay (again) so at that point my girlfriend was really upset. I felt really uncomfortable and rather angry about the whole situation at the restaurant. Like I don't understand why people have to look at us like that or make comments. It's not like we were making out and undressing each other and we weren't bothering anyone or making a scene. If we were a straight couple no one would have said anything or thought twice. :bang:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really sorry that you both had to go through that. It's sad that people cannot be accepting. Did you get the waitress's name?? If you did you could report her to the company and they might be able to do something about it.

3. LailaForbidden

:angry: (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*) I'm so sorry... this makes me so angry :dry:

4. Tiny Catastrophe

No I didn't bother getting her name. I don't like making a huge deal out of things and I felt uncomfortable there to begin with because I don't live around there so I just wanted to finish eating and get out.

5. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry, that's really rough :frowning2:
    It sucks but intolerance is something that a lot of people will have to put up with no matter where they go...in that situation you would be totally justified in leaving her a bad tip. In all seriousness though, just ignore those people, it doesn't matter what they think!

6. Tiny Catastrophe

I tried telling my mom about it and all she said was " You really shouldn't be doing that in public". I was holding her damn hand! I don't think I was wrong in holding my girlfriend's hand (who I've been with for 8 months).

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow that fucking sucks!

Go public with the story.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I hope you left her a lousy tip; hell, I'd say you were justified in leaving no tip at all.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. It's your mother (and society) that's wrong.

9. Tiny Catastrophe

I didn't understand why my mom said it. I mean she accepts me and she loves my girlfriend and she generally has no problem with gays. Her best friend is gay. That kind of caught me off guard

10. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that happened to you. (*hug*) That's really hard to deal with.... That waitress deserves to get in some kind of trouble.

You weren't wrong at all for wanting to hold your girlfriend's hand in public. It's the other people that were wrong for being judgmental and homophobic. (*hug*)

11. starfish

I would suggest going to this page and dropping them a note about your visit.

Contact T.G.I. Friday's | T.G.I. Friday's Casual Dining Restaurant & Bar

They will want to know about this. It is important them to know if customers are uncomfortable in their restaurants. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if they don't send you some coupons for a couple of free meals.

Next time I would suggest a different waitress.

12. bob94

You should have just grabbed your girlfriend by the hair and started making out with her. Then see how those people react.

All joking aside, I'm really sorry you had to go through that :frowning2:

13. Tiny Catastrophe

It was a Friendly's and I don't plan on going back there again.

14. That kind of makes me mad but i think you should just ignore the rest of the world it doesnt concern them anyway. You shouldnt have to hide who you are just because some poeple dont like it.

15. dreamcatcher

Wow what a jerk! Just to echo what everyone else said, you should definitely report her. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding her hand so don't let something like this stop you from being affectionate with your girlfriend. You have every right to hold your girlfriend's hand just like every other straight person can.

16. starfish

Well, reading comprehension. I no has it.

17. Tycho

I've actually done that. We left soon after though as I didn't want to risk the safety of my (ex)girlfriend by being in a hostile environment. She thought it was terribly funny though.

OT: I would also agree and lodge a complaint with the company. It may or may not get results but it definitely can make you feel better.

18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thats tough. I know it doesnt excuse your Mums reaction but its possible that she was just worried for you and so thought by telling you not to do it, it would mean you wouldnt be put in that situation again.

19. LisforLisa

I'm so sorry you had to go though that. Hopefully the waitress get's fired. It sucks that there is still unaccepting people. It's better than it was a couple decades ago. Hopefully in 20-30 years people will shake there heads at the homophobic and not the gay.

20. toms7

thats fucking annoying omg what people :frowning2:i am sorry for that