1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mormons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by solarcat, Jun 10, 2012.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    (As usual, let's stay civilized! I'm not looking to start trouble, here.)

What's the general public view on Mormons? Sometimes I'll see videos on Youtube about "And I'm a Mormon," as though the Church is running some sort of PR campaign trying to convince the public that they're not a bunch of lunatics out to eat your babies. Honestly, I didn't think they needed to prove that Mormons are regular people. Then I hear people talking about Mitt Romney's being a Mormon and how that somehow matters to his campaign because Mormonism is a "cult." But I rarely hear anything about Mormonism, so I can't tell what the public feels about it. I know they used to be considered a cult, and they fled west for certain freedoms like polygamy (which is no longer practiced by the mainstream LDS Church). But I've always just considered it another branch of Christianity, like Catholocism, Methodism, Presbyterianism, and such. But my mother was raised a Mormon, and she tried a little to get me and my brother to go to church; we even met with missionaries on a few occasions. So maybe that's why I don't think they're any weirder than any other religious group.

So what does the public think of Mormonism? And remember, even if you have negative opinions of them, please remain civil and respect others' opinions and beliefs.

2. Deaf Not Blind

OH! But with a one word title, you are expected to be hated upon, it is our destiny. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I saw what you are mentioning, and my immediate thought is PR and trying to recruit. :/ I think Romney is one reason, yes, perhaps there is even a Mormon plan to reinvent itself once again (they used to say all blacks were born of Satan, who they said is Jesus's brother, and so all blacks will go to hell...then in the late 20th century we got wealthy black Americans and suddenly they needed to invite them in as able to do what they think happens after death), and from what a couple said to me who did not know each other, appears that they are taught to use humor to get others to accept them...a cousin who is Mormon made devil horns of his fingers and said something about we all see them as this? Weird.
    Mormons can say either they are Christians, or they will say oh those Chrisitians we are not we are Mormons. it again is weird.
    All I can say about WHAT they believe as not being at all Christian is that they say their book of Mormon is in line with the Bible, but they tell them not to read the Bible, and everyone who is of another faith or denomination who reads both and compares can tell there are major differences, and conflicts. I once encouraged a group of young men missionaries to read the Holy Bible and compare for themselves, and ask questions...because if a faith IS really real and what it says it is, and not a cult, then it will be open to questioning and searches, not forbid and shun you if you do. Right?:slight_smile:

I am usually GOP for president because I can't stand for abortion, I love every baby, and some people would choose to end a life because it was going to be retarded or disabled, and I think those babies are worthy of life too, so that influences my thoughts. BUT, I do not trust Romney, one reason is his religion, but also him...just him, he seems to be trying to buy his way into the White House, and I got this weird feeling a vibe, not good, he is not the person he says he is...maybe is the record he has? So this November, while living in DC, I may for 1st time in my voting adult life, NOT VOTE. :'(
    Give me a reason to vote.

3. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just another narrow minded cult out of many, albeit younger. Personally, when somebody says "Mormon", I cannot shake the image of a hopeless 30 year old virgin dancing in the sidewalk in his magic underwear.

I would argue however, in respect to Mitt Rommey, that if HIS presidential future should be put under close scrutiny due to his affiliation with the LDS Church, then so should Obama, or any other President of any other Church. Catholicism is as much of a cult as Mormonism is, its simply more common.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am pretty much indifferent to Mormons.

5. Ridiculous

[YOUTUBE]KN4M8PvpmW4[/YOUTUBE]

Nothing more needs to be said.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You obviously can dislike whoever you want, and vote/not vote for who you want.

But Romney has a decent record.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

When I hear the word Mormons, I think of this :

[​IMG]

:lol:

8. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    -Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 78

9. Mogget

The Mormon Church is interesting to me in part because it's one of the youngest religious movements to gain widespread support, and therefore has much better historical documentation of its beginning and growth.

It's also probably the most American (meaning United States) religion: it has Jesus appearing in America, the Garden of Eden being in Missouri, colonization of America by the Israelites, etc. I think it would be very hard to be a Mormon without living in the US or living in a community (or at least a family) of US expatriates, just as it's difficult to be a Hindu or Buddhist living in the West (certainly not impossible, but more difficult, the culture surrounding the religion isn't present).

I've been meaning to read the Mormon scriptures (which include more than the Book of Mormon) for some time. I tried reading the BoM once, and found it very boring (as did Mark Twain), but I would like to have a sense of what the scriptures say. Especially Doctrines and Covenants.

Theologically, many Christian denominations (including Catholicism) do not consider Mormons Christian because they are not Trinitarians. However, they're hardly the first group of Jesus-followers not to believe in the Trinity, the early church debated the nature of the Trinity for a long time before anything was settled, and after the Reformation non-Trinitarian Christianity became somewhat (though not very) popular. Today, Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Scientists also deny the Trinity.

10. silkfrog1292

For me, they (as in mormon missionaries) annoy me from time to time (particularly on the train ride to school) but does not pose any serious problems with my life. Oh but my housekeeper is a mormon, and she keeps going on about the sun being blue.... :s

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mormonism used to be officially racist, and now it is just officially sexist, homophobic and transphobic. Many individual Mormons dissent from these views and are looking to change that, but change happens slowly. Right now, I think the leadership of the church is in a sad, morally reprehensible state, even as many members seek to raise the public stature of Mormonism.

12. Travel Tech

My thoughts on Mormonism is no worse than my thoughts on most other major religions. It's all just as silly and destructive towards rational thought. There really isn't much more to say on it.

13. Deaf Not Blind

he also has stated where he stood, and later claimed opposite and i do not know where his mind really stands. business wise, he may know how to make profit, but at what expense? i have studied business as my major, and now know why some ways are killing workers souls...and the minor profit to the stockholders looks more like bloodmoney now. there is a positive way to do business that uplifts the workers, but rarely is implemented...why do i think when i look into his business record i will see a push hard for positive skewness? i worry if the ethics of a person include personal and religious beliefs in hiding truth from everybody...i think we will find out in time as president his real plans will do more harm than good. i know GOP who beg me to support him, but i just have bad vibes...i do not as this time feel i can vote for him. he is hiding something...

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2012 at 10:24 AM ----------

well, the problem is they talk to badly against their church beliefs being morally wrong and say even God says so...they can be shunned, not just by church but family! it is scary what they lose, and are told hell for them. yeah is very degrading to women. if people just read up about basics even they could see pretty quickly it is not the same as Christianity and clearly a popular cult...as is Scientology. i prefer religions that allow me to ask questions and read any books i wish no banning.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

momons say god had sex and had spirit kids, jesus and satan be brothers, and that a mormon man can marry a woman and by being married to a mormon man she won't go to hell, and on earth should have many spirit babies, in death they will travel to a planet have heaven sex produce a population on that planet, and if they get names of ancestors they can bapie themselves in their name and send the dead person out of hello so they can be Mormon. Jews sued them and said stop baptizing dead religious Jews and writing their names as saved Mormons it is againsts their religious rights and they can't stop you. Mormons said they would stop, but they do genealogy for that purpose, and i have relatives in it...so bet all our names come up as Mormon. :frowning2:

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2012 at 10:34 AM ----------

ps that is why they said satan had sex and his kids are all blacks. strange how a Mormon is against a wealthy educated black (and white) American man today for highest office...wonder what Smith would say about that!

#13 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  14. LisforLisa

I don't vote on religious records. I can't vote though. Voting for Romeny seems like a bad idea he's not in touch with the middle class. If you heard his speech a week ago he clearly said hiring more teachers,firefighters,police officers is a bad idea. Let me guess he'll give taxcuts to the 1% percent and our country will suffer.

15. Zontar

Mormons aren't any different than any other religion. They find what they want in their scripture, and get exactly what they wish for. There's certainly worse religions out there than Mormons, and I wouldn't hesitate to elect one to the Presidency.

16. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Lets not throw anyone under the bus here. I think that any religion has to many people to throw them all into the same melting pot. My experience with anyone religious, regardless of whether they are mormon or not, are that the people that are most insecure about themselves tend to be the most extreme. They take the attitude of "Im right you're wrong, shut up." That certainty is something that everyone struggles with. Faith without vulnerability is extremism. Very simple. And many people, gay, straight, black, blue, indigo, whatever, regardless of religion are the same way. If you are on the receiving end of someone's bigotry and you choose to argue with something that you are certain of, then you are just as ignorant. Sorry. You are no better then the people that you are throwing in the melting pot if you choose to give them the same respect as they are giving you. Because for the majority Mormons, and Christians alike are really fantastic people. I do not agree with all of their opinions, but I have the ability to love and accept them for our differences, and given the right attitude they will do the same.

If you are angered by someone, do something nice for them, because it is really difficult to be angry when you see how happy it makes them. You never know, you might be the one to shift their opinions, however, needless arguing with someone who's already made up their mind is like administering medicine to the dead. You wont achieve much, will you?

17. FJ Cruiser

I don't like them because their giant golden statue of Moroni ruins my cell reception anytime I pass by their temple. :grin:

Seriously, though, I'm from an area with one of the more significant populations of Mormons outside of Utah, so I know plenty and have been friends with several. Again, I take the South Park stance on this issue. Their religion was basically made up by a con-artist and many of their beliefs seem quite ludicrous to me and many others, but I respect them for practicing what they preach. They are seriously some of the kindest people you will ever meet, and most aren't tempted in the slightest by typical vice.

However, they are so straight-laced and smiley that for me they sometimes fall in what's known as the Uncanny Valley. Many of the ones our age are quite normal though.[​IMG]

I'm familiar with a lot of their doctrine, and I don't agree that they're Christian, and given how they think all non-Mormons are bound for hell I don't think they think they are also. From what I've seen, they hold the Book of Mormon more sacred than the Bible, and many of their beliefs are direct opposition to that of all Christian denominations, approaching cult-like status.

I won't be voting for Mitt Romney, but his religious beliefs don't play into that at all. With how much education he's had, he probably knows it's a farce, and he's only keeping up appearances.

One note of interest that I've heard about is that within their community they have a large population of gay men that they deny. The men are known for being somewhat effeminate compared to the American norm, and given that they have large families, the idea that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to be gay comes into play. How true this is, I'm not sure, but one of my friends who goes to Brigham Young University (the official university of Mormonism) thinks it is.

#17 FJ Cruiser, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  18. Deaf Not Blind

I agree with all you said. People should not judge others as same, good or bad when they have not met, studied, or know from experience. What you stated is accurate.

19. Of Mice and Men

Well, I think Mitt Romney is an idiot, whether he's Mormon or not. I just can't wait until it comes time for him to debate with President Obama and he proves how little he really knows.

Back to topic. Now, from what I know about Mormonism, they believe in three Heavens: The Celestial Kingdom (the highest), The Terrestrial Kingdom (the middle), and the Telestial Kingdom (the lowest). If a soul makes it to the Celestial Kingdom, they become Gods and create their own worlds.

I also have a friend who is Mormon and is not allowed to date until he is sixteen, and is not allowed ever to drink coffee. Also, you can be forgiven for any sin except for murder and denying the Holy Spirit (not quite sure what the latter one means... :/)

I know that the Mormons are very, very opposed to homosexuality and until 1978 black people were not allowed to be priests.

That's all I know about Mormonism. It's really interesting, actually.

20. Silver Sparrow

I think that individual people should be judged on their own views. Common Mormon views are trans-, bi-, and homophobic. However, I have also formed close friendships with my Dad's coworkers daughters, who have both been raised in the Mormon tradition.They are genuinely sweet kids, who any parent should be proud of.
    As for Romney, I just think he's kind of inconsistent with his views, like he's trying to be what the people want, rather than who he is.