1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends knowing/asking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Catkin, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Catkin

Not entirely sure this post belongs here, but I figured it was too light for the support forum.

I've read quite a few posts on Ec where people have said that the people closest to you generally know before you come out. That kinda got me thinking.I don't think that my friends do know. I'm not sure how that happened though. I've never dated, never kissed a boy and when the topic of boys comes up I do a lot of shrugging or get really quiet. The only thing I've ever done to make them think I'm straight is mention some random boys name when my friend asked me if I liked anyone a few years ago. (I wasn't sure of anything at the time - still pretty confused actually).

What kinda surprises me is that none of my friends have ever asked. My group of friends in college is both really liberal and not very good at boundaries. It is something they would ask - in fact I know they have asked two of our friends. They've never asked me though, in fact the two times I've had random strangers ask me if I'm gay, my friends have answered for me and told them that I'm straight.

One of my best friends is gay, and I've sort of dropped hints hoping he'd ask. (Like mentioning that I'd seen some LGBT movies he has or talking about a girl who was hitting on me). He didn't take the bait though. Fairly sure he just thinks I'm really supportive.

I dunno. It would be great if they would ask though.

2. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Other people suspecting and asking can be alleviating, although I never went through that myself. Nobody had a bloody clue xD

I would suggest you come out with it. From what you've said, they are more than likely to be accepting and it'll take a weight off your chest!

3. Lewis

One of my friends have asked me and I stupidly said I was straight, couldn't have told them like that... :/

4. stupidIvan

People used to ask me, and I would just say "bisexual" or "lesbian", which were both lies (hoo hoo hoo), but it resulted in no further questions, and, to me, were better than just looking away and brooding as I was so guilty of often doing.

However, for the first time recently, I did my best to explain genderqueer upon being asked that sort of nonsense. I suppose that was my fault, because I said "I'm not quite actually a girl anyway...", and they thought I meant transgender (which may be my physical road soon in the future, anyway). Either way, I tried to explain genderqueerism to the best of my ability to them, and they did ask me lots of questions (which is good!), and some of the girls even call me by my long-ago chosen name (Ivan). It was all really alleviating, and I never expected things to go so well!

They'll ask eventually, people are born too curious! Just be patient, and keep dropping little hints that you want to talk about it. :::: )