1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont Take It Personally

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Gen

Gen

Since the dawn of man, man has always looks for ways to assert it superiority against its peers. Humans have always need ways to put themselves on higher pedestals, than atleast the majority, to boost there egos. Originally, its was based on physical strength and ability in early civilizations. Then religious domination, such as the crusades. Then social darwinism and racial inslavement, as seen in the African slave trade. The list is never ending.

Humans cannot fathom the thought of complete intellectual, physical, mental, sexual, or social equality so they have always found a way to subdue or point out those who they can deem as "lower" than them. And sadly I have come to believe that it is something humans will never be able to stop. If 60% of the world went out tomorrow and gave homeless people $50. Then the very next day the other 40% would be handing out 50s, most likely even 100s so that they could say that they gave more.

Humans will be forever plagued with a never-ending superiority complex, so dont take it personal if people dont like you because of your sexually. You being a social minority is just another outlet for them to use to make themselves feel as though they are better than you. Its essentially no different than those kids in class that look down on others for getting a lower score than them.

So dont hold hatred to the homophobic or closed minded because this is an attitude that has followed mankind since their creations. I used the word "Humans" because it most certianly DOES apply to every single one of us. We might be more accepting of people of different sexualities but there is always other situations in which with rank and look down upon one another.

At the end of the days its how we decide to live our lifes that matters. We are not physically bound or inslaved, as some of the minority have been in the past. Not only can we choose to listen to the hatred coming from the church, schools, office, peers, but we can also choose how much we let what other people say effects us. Let people think they are better than you because of your sexuallity because, unless they physically bother your, what think wont have any effect on you. The ways I see it is, if it makes them feel better about themselves than by all means. Because at the end of the day, Im going to like, accept, and love myself anyway :slight_smile:.

Sorry for the long post, just felt like I needed to write it.

2. rg93

Mind = blown
    Very nice post. Never really thought about it that way. I guess everyone trys to make themselves important because really - who wants to be a nobody.

I think in these cases, the people who think themselves above others dont concider the fact that it isn't even relevant. As in "Your not a better person just because you arent gay."

3. BudderMC

There's a never-ending list of reasons why human beings, as social creatures, need to feel superior to one another.

A lot of it has to do with group mentality though. The "group" you identify with is always better than the other groups. Which is why Atheists believe themselves better than religious folk, or one religion is better than all the others. Why straight people feel they're superior, or why a lot of the time even us LGBT people think we're superior because we're more capable of "understanding". It's just a justification on why we think we're better.

Yeah, I think you're right in that it's foolish to think we'll ever all be equal. I don't think we'll ever hit that point as a society. But, what we can shoot for is some equilibrium in that the give and take is enough to sustain everyone. Still unlikely, but certainly viable.

At the end of the day, you have to live your life for yourself, like you said. You can't control people's actions, but you can control your reaction. If you don't give them the pleasure of feeling "defeated", there suddenly becomes a lack of motivation to continue what they were doing (obviously this doesn't always apply). Tying this back into group mentality, if you're being indifferent to someone trying to bring you down, you are simultaneously not letting them be better than you while not competing for their position of "superiority". They don't feel threatened since you aren't retaliating, but you didn't necessarily lose your social standing either.

4. Jessi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I certainly agree that every group has it's own superiority hangups. I also don't believe that equality exists in humans because no two people are exactly alike (which is a very good thing). However that doesn't mean that people shouldn't fight for fair treatment by other people, especially in how that relates to law and governance.

One of the biggest problems I see with being indifferent to homophobia in particular is that: while in most cases we can just ignore it and it doesn't cause us any harm, the situation changes when you are a minor born into a homophobic family. Minors are treated like second rate citizens in that they have very few legal rights of their own. In most cases they are not able to escape an extremist family, who are well protected in their own right to enforce whatever prejudiced opinions they have on their own child, and subsequently make their young lives a living hell. No person should be forced to be subjected to that sort of treatment, and especially not a young person.

For that matter why should there be tolerance toward any group that tries to enforce their views on other people, or to control them by means of their perceived superiority? Sure it's all well and good when they're not hurting you, but if you sit back and let them gain the power they desire then you have allowed a potentially dangerous enemy to arm themselves.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am deeply offended by your post, and I don't think it provides helpful perspective. Let me outline why. People are not 100% in control of their own emotions. Sometimes people can say or do something that is so hurtful that sheer force of will cannot hold back the waters of sorrow. It also sounds like a way of blaming people who are hurt by things. What you're saying to people is that if they get offended by the homophobia directed at them, they are the weaklings who let it affect them. I can understand a degree of saying we should try to develop methods of coping, but that's different than trying to turn off hatred affecting you. If people don't like you because of your sexuality, then by definition it's become personal.

All the stuff about human nature as a quagmire of superiority complexes, while true, doesn't help us to negotiate a world where sometimes, you have to check your superiority at the door. Part of the whole point of queer activism has been to attack the institutions which say we have a lesser value as human beings.

I am on a crusade. I am not here to understand the perspectives of or the need to have sympathy for homophobes and transphobes.

#5 Pret Allez, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. Lewis

I agree with every inch of this post, we ALL have it in us to discriminate. Human beings have many flaws.

7. Gen

Gen

@Pret Allez

I think you might have misunderstood the purpose of my post. I never said it was anyones fault for being bullied, nor did anyone "let" it happen. Of course if someone is talking about you, bullying you, or harming you in ANY way you should do something about it.

However, I did say it is a pointless battle to fight people just because they "dont like you". "People not liking you for your sexually" is literally no different than people not liking your for your religion, race, gender, etc. Actually its really not as bad because there is no hiding your race. The point is there will always be people who are anti-LGBT, whether they are extremist or not. Hell, We still have extemist and murders againts black people and muslims.

What I wanted people, especially closeted and fearful LGBTs, to understand is that there will never come a time when EVER human being will accept us. BUT ITS NOT OUR FAULT. Humans have always been like this to those they can prey on and always will. Its sad but ultimately true. At the end of the day we have to be able to love ourself without the gratitude or acceptance of everyone around us.