1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating = No No No (Anyone Else)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So

I do realize that my early post was whether I should try online dating and well I did... for a bit. I mean I've tried it before and was on longer than two days but for some reason, I just can't seem to get away with it. I mean I fill out profile, I have a pic and everything its just... I don't know.

I just can't seem to get away with it. I'm just not comfortable with it at all and well too be honest... I don't like it :eek:

Does anyone else feel like that about online dating and stuff.

I mean I only did cause its my only means of meeting of gays, in a sense, as well as possibly meeting a guy. Anyway time to get of that dream world that online dating is answer to everything and face the real world. btw I'm not a sociable person so saying stuff like "go to clubs/nights out" doesn't work for me and I know there are other ways to meet guys but at the moment I think I'm just trying to hard.

Tbh I haven't got a job so I think that should be my priority and not finding a guy. Can't help my feelings but I can ignore them for a while... I guess

(Sorry for long post)

2. Hello!

This isn't a long post so no worries!

I'm not a club/bar type person either, although fun in moderation. They aren't my scene. And they aren't really a place you're going to meet someone anyways. Possible, yes. Not likely though. I'm not sure how you go about your profile on these websites, but it makes all the difference in the world. Depending also on what websites you use. Unfortunately I can't post any, but I've met a lot of LGBTQ friends from certain websites.

It's ok that you don't like them. They aren't for everyone. I'm sure you'll meet a guy in the most unexpected place. And like you said, you don't have a job yet. So maybe you'll find some LGBTQ friends/ future relationship at whatever job you get. Also how I met some people! ^_^

You might be overexerting yourself on trying to find someone. Especially on those websites. Generally if they're free, or you don't become a member it's harder for people to find your profile. So, just have some patience. I know sometimes you end up getting creepy messages from people, but a lot of the websites now you can monitor who talks to you. So, if you don't want to meet anybody who just wants a hookup, you can click that option and you won't get those types of messages.

Really though, it's better to be out in the world, than be online all the time. So create a profile, takes some time. Enjoy your life while waiting, and one day you'll get a message from someone special. :icon_bigg

All the best!

3. toms7

i will only date someone from the internet if i know him long time :slight_smile: like a year at least ! chatting soon etc!

4. BudderMC

I'd agree in saying getting a job should probably be a priority, but you seem to know that. It's kinda hard to go on dates and settle down without any money. Plus, I think someone who's more self-sufficient is generally an attractive trait. :slight_smile:

I've never tried, but online dating doesn't appeal to me either. My personal issues with drinking will probably keep me from going to clubs and bars for a long time. The way I see it, networking is key to dating (same as with straight people). The more you come out and the more you get involved with LGBT groups and people, the more word will spread that not only are you interested in guys, but you're looking for one too. And honestly, I think that's the best way to meet people anyway, just as it happens over time.

People might disagree, but I was never a fan of the idea of actively seeking out a relationship. Be comfortable being single and confident in your own skin and eventually you'll find someone who's worth your time. Just my two cents.

5. Hazel

I don't like online dating for many of the same reasons I don't like offline dating. Both of them will (one later rather than sooner) require regularly spending time and money on travel, dinner, etc, and being social with new people that aren't even part of a community - I may never see them again. Online, though, it's at least easier to sift through the options and talk to them for a little while before arranging anything.

Are you having trouble meeting anyone at all, or are you not liking the guys you meet? It sounds like maybe you're shy about having a profile up.

6. Tim

Tim

You sound a lot like me, haha.

Personally, from what I've read, 90% of people on dating sites are extremely shallow and have only one thing in mind, which is not for me, so I can't really give an unbiased opinion on them, lol.

Though if I know someone online, and genuinely like them, even if not in that way, I wouldn't have an issue giving online dating a try.

But as others have said, getting a job should be a priority. I've met tons of people at the place I volunteer that try to set me up with friends all the time, but I just have a thing against being set up, so it's always a no. xD Jobs would be the same. You'll be exposed to more people, and potentially friends, depending on if you end up in a work environment where people actually want to be friends with co-workers, or if you end up in one that people insist interactions cease when not working.

Not being a sociable person isn't a bad thing. It just means that when you do meet someone you like, you're more inclined to give them more attention on a date, etc. as a way to block out all the people around you.

Remember one rule: If you aren't comfortable with something, don't do it. If you aren't comfortable with online dating, then don't do it. There are other avenues that will eventually open up for you, mainly when you get a job.

When you have money and can actually go out and hang with friends, etc, things tend to flow better.

7. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would probably like to try online dating at one point. I'll eventually get there.

But yes, jobs are a great way for meeting people. A few weeks ago I assisted a guy in my store who left me a note that said he wasn't sure if I was gay or single and didn't want to ask me, and he left me his name and number. It was the first time that's ever happened to me, I was flattered. So yes, you're bound to find someone :slight_smile:

8. Ianthe

I hate even the idea of online dating. I hate the idea of meeting someone for the first time, and it's a date. That's weird to me.

So yeah.

You already know the route I think you should take for making more gay friends.

9. Loras

I tried online dating websites since last week, been texting and chatting to a few guys on it but noone has really interested me. my plan is to wait till iv finished my degree and move to a big city in Australia like Melbourne were the gay scene is a lot more prominent.

10. adam88

I've been involved in discussion forums and the like since I first heard about the internet, circa 1995 or so, so this method of communicating with people is second nature to me. Thus, I found a dating site to be a very rewarding experience, and met my boyfriend on one. It's not for everyone, though, I can certainly admit that, but if you keep your virtual wits about you and sort out the idiots you can sometimes find some nice people there.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

I met my boyfriend many times, via email of course, before we "met" in person. :slight_smile: Then our first date was mostly spent walking around the city, then to a pub, learning about each other the whole time. It was really nice. :slight_smile:

Of course, if it doesn't make you comfortable then by all means follow your gut. :slight_smile:

11. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried a couple of gay dating phone apps, but I don't think I really want to get with any of the guys on there. First off the majority of them seem to be masculine and secondly they are there just to fuck. I talked to one guy and asked him "Can I at least know your name before we fuck?" Idk, maybe I'm just not in tune with the times. Like someone said in a post I also get the impression that many are shallow. I just don't think its for me.

12. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It mostly depends on the site. The few ones I've visited are so blatantly sexual in nature that I left immediately. But as Adam said, there's always the exception to the rule. You have to be really (REALLY) clear in your description as to WHAT you're looking for and politely (or not so) flip off those who don't get the message well enough.

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It really does depend on the website that you go on. Some website are simply for hook-ups and some are more geared towards dating and meeting other people. They can be fun if you use them correctly.

I have tried online dating before because I was curious about it, and while it isn't for me, I did meet up with a couple of guys who turned out to be really cool people. We didn't click in that sort of way, but at least I made some contacts through that. Its funny because I ended up collaborating on a project for the GSA in our area with a guy who I met through the site.

Not the worst way to meet people, but its not for everyone.

14. TonyTheBear

Ugh... There is absolutely no gay dating in my area. Everyone just pretty much bashes and hates or tries to justify their hate with Bible verses and all that blabla... So naturally I tried online dating... I guess the reason it turned out so bad was because the guy ended up being an emotionally deprived, sex-crazed psychopath who never left his room. I now know I will never even try that again. It was only a miserable two months, but really we couldn't even talk on the phone without it being awkward. I'd rather a person be able to actually talk and communicate and be sure. You just can't tell these things online. It's so superficial. Plus, we were way too far from each other. He was in New York and I'm in the south, not even the same time zone. It's just made me that much more desperate to find a real guy but to no avail...

15. Night Rain

I'm one of those people who think love comes from friendship. :wink: So a date with a stranger isn't appealing to me. But getting to know people online, then meeting them in real life and later starting a relationship is fine by me. :grin: