1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trip to the UK and France!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joeyconnick, Jan 13, 2008.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, not having been in the UK since I was 3, I am finally going to visit. In March. I have a great-aunt there and she has three grown children (my cousins once removed) who all have families of their own.

Since I'm gonna be on that side of the Atlantic, I figure I HAVE to go to France, since I spent 9 years in French Immersion (Kindergarten to Grade 8) and Paris is THE city you hear all about. Well that and Quebec. But I've been to Quebec but never to France.

So I'm going to London to hang out with my family (East Sussex, actually, so I guess just London "area") for about a week, then I'm going up to Manchester to meet up with a friend who's studying at the University of Manchester and to hang out there for a day or two, then we're going to spend some time in London proper (4 or 5 days), do the tourist-y things and "gay London," which I assume I'm not going to be doing with my relatives. *grin* Then we're taking the Chunnel to Paris (via Calais) for a week in Paris! We might even hit Amsterdam although from the sound of it, the availability of the place I want to stay at in Paris is going to make that hard.

So, do people have suggestions for what to see? Maybe things that aren't as obvious as the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, etc.? I'm especially interested in cool architecture. I'm not so much a gallery/museum person but given where I'm going to be, I'm sure I'll be checking a few of them out, like seriously who would turn down the Louvre?

But yeah, any off-the-beaten-path suggestions are very welcome!

Plus, does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay in London for two people that is clean, relatively quiet, and somewhat affordable? The place in Paris is €64 a night, but I hear places in London are more, like £70 a night.

Excitement!

2. Ty

Ty Guest

The London Hilton! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ooh you should come to oxford if you like architecture! we've got loads of it... far too much if you asks me -.- urm yeah... lol one sec theres a good picture of oxford i saw before..... *googles*

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Panorama_from_St_Mary's_Church_-_Oct_2006.jpg

Its only like 50 miles from london and it'd make a okay day trip, we have alot of foreign students coming here during the summer, so it must be worthwhile, right?

Not sure what to suggest other than the obvious stuff for london though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: LONDON EYE FTW! oh yeah and the 02/ Millennium thing forgot what its called but yeah....

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

oh if you can book tickets, you should so see the terracotta army exhibiton at the national museum. it's a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity. it's amazing. but, you do have to book way in advance. and it may not be your thing...

whatever you do, have a great time! and welcome back to britain!!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't have any suggestions but sounds like a great trip Joey! I'm sure you will have fun!!

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you find yourself in Hereford Joey, I'll meet you for a meal and a drink.

I wouldn't bother to add it to your itinerary though. It's not on-route to anywhere you'll likely be visiting and it is not worth making a trip for. We have a cathedral with a historic chained library, probably a few other historic buildings, the Bulmers cider factory and museum, and..... that's about it.

Maybe if you're visiting Birmingham or Cardiff and meeting any other EC members we could catch up there.

6. JSG

JSG Guest

Come with me in Paris, I'll show you loads of cool places :icon_wink

7. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

have a safe trip

8. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey Joey...sounds fun.....I work in Central London and know London like the back of my hand!!

If you're looking for a guide I'd be more than happy to help out. Recently took Italian relatives round London over two days and we took in all the sights. Lot of walking though.

Let me know what you think...Would be great to meet another EC member. :icon_bigg

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Pick me up on the way joey! :lol:
    You'll be flying right over NL no doubt!

10. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Madame Tusaudes, is pretty good.

11. Steam Giant

Hehe! ^^

This is so great! I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time over there!! Be sure to take plenty of pictures ^^ and pass some our way please? Hehe!

As far as sights, I don't get nearly as excited over the big tourest attractions as I do over the much simpler things on the opposite end of the spectrum. Some of the best photos I've ever seen of foreign countries were just of simple lower-class dwellings or an ordinary city street.

Chapels! The English churches I've seen are so beautiful! So try to swing by a few of those ^^

And I know this is far from humble, but...the Arc de Triomphe in Paris... ^^ so pretty!

12. Louise

Where will you be staying in East Sussex? If you can you should try to get down to Brighton, lovely place, some lovely achetecture in the older parts of the town and THE gay center of southern England. You should find all sorts of great things to do. It might be a bit chilly by the sea though. March at the seaside in England... maybe not the best place to be except for hardy souls!:lol:

13. CelebrityHead

I don't have any suggestions as I'm not very well travelled and... don't live over that way! But, nonetheless, have a fantastic trip and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back! (Or even during if you find time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow... Oxford looks gorgeous! I'll try to make it there for sure on a day trip.

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmn... that sounds like it could be really cool. If nothing else, you've reminded me I have to book some things in advance, which is pretty valuable to remember! :slight_smile:

16. Ty

Ty Guest

I'll give teh grand tour XD

Even though I don't know half the things about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: wandering around with Janvier made me discover we have an art museum! I would have never guessed!

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes, Paul... you're nearly all the way in Wales!

I don't think I'm meeting up with any EC members in the UK. None that I'm aware of, anyway. I guess I'll see how things develop.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might take you up on that... I'm staying near Le Marais while in Paris. I hear it's cool. 11ème arrondissement.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll see if I can sweet-talk the pilot but I'm not sure if I'm that good. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah I guess I will be right over NL.

You should come to Vancouver... it's really nice, especially in the summer. A little less desolate, from what I've heard about Newfoundland. Not that I don't want to get to NL eventually. Just... no... real... cities... what will I do? I'm such a city person, I think.

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am going with a friend who knows London a bit but it is usually good to know a native, so I'll PM you closer to the date.