1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly Out Experience Journal: Getting Called a Faggot

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DanA, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DanA

So I guess I took my lumps and got some strips.

I've been out since the Thursday before Memorial Day and last night, I finally got the nerve to begin flirting in public with other guys. I was at a nice normal bar I frequent with friends and I found a cute one I liked and we talked for a little... mostly about Game of Thrones and bonding over movies. We had both recently seen Prometheus, and he turned out to be as big a film nerd (and snob) as I was so we talked about how most recent movies lack soul and yadda yadda yadda... then we talked about each other, and what we do and all that jazz. Long story longer, we hit it off and snuck in a kiss or two or three. I wasn't planning on taking it further that night, but it's nice to share a kiss or two and an embrace. I put my hand on his knee and he put his hand on my hand and we kissed more and that's when I heard it:

"Go home faggots!"

Not in an aggressive tone... in a joking tone. Like it was a joke to them. Like I was a joke. Just a punchline I guess.

I don't know who said it. My friends did and they stood up for me but I was embarrassed and left. I sat on a bench in a nearby park. The guy I was getting sweet with followed me and consoled me but I said I wanted to go home, it was late already, and I just wanted to be home. I said he was really nice for being there but I just needed to go. He gave me his number but I haven't called him... tomorrow maybe.

That sucked.

Anybody have a similar story?

2. SlickyPants

My hat is off to you for working up the courage to chat up a guy in a bar. I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that to a stranger unless I was in a gay bar or unless I somehow got a very strong feeling he swung that way.

Don't let some asshole ruin your day. From what it sounded like it was a wonderful night (aside from the homophobic comment) and other people's insecurities shouldn't get you down.

Has it ever happened to me? Not quite like that. I was holding hands with a guy I was dating at a "straight" bar before. I noticed a few glances but nothing more than that. One more than one occasion I was called a faggot by a passing vehicle while I was walking down the sidewalk. (Coming form work or the grocey store or something like that). That's about it for me but I really haven't done a whole lot of dating or any success with relationships. Perhaps I need to grow a pair and start talking to guys even in non GLBT-themed places.

One last note... Call him back you lucky son of a gun... And thank your friends for sticking up for you. A true friend will always have your back.

3. Ianthe

I don't have a story like that, mainly because I am insanely shy and I haven't dated much, and I don't get recognized as gay.

But you should call the guy. He sounds nice, and you clearly liked him. Similar interests, and all that.

And serious kudos on flirting with guys in mainstream bars in the first place. Don't let the jerky homophobes stop you.

4. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely call him back. He cared enough to find you and comfort you after you left, sounds like a nice guy

5. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've flirted with a guy in a straight bar that i didn't know but never got called a fag cause we did nothing till we got back my the house.But I'd call that guy back immediately!!!Ever wanna talk about movies let me know.

6. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, even if you just end up friends, he liked you enough to go out and console you...luck like that may not come around twice.

7. DanA

lol, I've called him... we're getting lunch together today.

... now I get to spend the next two hours finding something cool to wear... hmmmmm, Tom Waits shirt or a button down... or that rugby jersey from Scotland... skinny jeans or shorts...

BTW, I like how everybody is saying I'm brave for approaching a guy in a non-LGBT environment. Honestly, I thought that's how it's done. I'm kinda new to the gay dating scene. Now I see why gay bars are popular. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#7 DanA, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Ianthe

Yay, date. Have fun! Let us know if it goes well.

9. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had that experience really. Its kinda funny cuz the first time I was out publicly with a guy I had been pissed the whole week. I my rationale for going out with him was that I was hoping someone would say something off to me just so I'd have an excuse to get off in someone's ***. Unfortunately or fortunately no one said anything. Even when I've been out holding hands with nelly guys one one says anything. I have never been big on pda so the most I've ever done grab his but or hug on him from behind. The closest I've had to your experience was when I was stationed in Japan. I was roomed with a friend who always wore tight pants and we always went clubbing with a guy who acted slightly feminine. Being African-american in the marines in 99 this most people didn't like this. It had snowed overnight and sometime during the night or morning someone wrote "superfag" on the hood of his car. Of course we had no idea of who it was and in that environment I was in our best interest to let it slide. I suggest you ignore the ignorant bigots and go on with your life. Live it the way you see fit cuz all that matter is that you're happy. Hope all goes well with your date.

10. Deaf Not Blind

tell us how it went!!!
    :slight_smile:

11. cscipio

Tom Waits...definately Tom Waits.

12. DanA

Lol, it went great. We have plans to go to Starved Rock State Park this weekend and hike around the different canyons and whatnot so, I guess that is going to be date number two.

I got a sober kiss which is my first real kiss after being out of the closet... so it feels good :grin:

We still don't know if we want a relationship right now. I talked about how I just recently came out and just got out of a relationship and I felt like I was rushing too fast into things. He understood, but he still wants to hang out and if something relationshipwise blossoms out of this... it's going to be great.

If not, I have my first gay friend after being out... and we kissed, did I mention that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#12 DanA, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  13. phliper12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I seriously need to adopt your way of thinking...

14. Skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, this just pretty much made my day. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
    Best luck to you two!

15. Ianthe

(!)(!)(!)

Congrats on your first "real" gay kiss! It's good to take things slow at first. See where it goes.

16. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Ianthe, you should definitely call the guy.

But I don't know about everyone else, but I thought it was kind of normal for people to point out people embracing each other, especially in a "normal" bar. I just thought that for a lot of people, even straight embraces are considered slightly inappropriate if it's not in a nightclub or something.

I mean I've constantly heard people shout "GET A ROOM" to straight people if they kiss in any public location!

But only you can understand the tone and the moment so maybe what you felt was something different altogether.

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Perfect example of how good things come with taking risks! Ah, such a cute story! First kiss with the same-sex is beyond amazing, isn't it?! :grin: So happy for you :slight_smile:

As for the incident, it happens is all I can say. It really does suck because sometimes it can ruin the whole mood, but, honestly, you just get used to it. I know its not the best reassurance, but after a while you just don't notice the stares, and the good starts to outweigh the bad. You will be surprise at how many random people will say nice things to you when you are out and about on a date or holding hands. At least to me, it has been more good comments than bad ones. It makes easier to ignore the bad comments :slight_smile:

Good luck on your date!!

18. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on everything going well and hope it continues to stay so. :slight_smile:

19. EM68

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck on your date.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, Dan, I think you've come a long way in a short time. So, as others have said... congrats!

I have a slightly different take on being called a faggot. To be fair, I think it comes of having been out for a very long time... but really... when someone calls me a fag (which, admittedly, doesn't happen very often), my response is generally to feel sorry for them.

Because they are either ignorant, or afraid that they might be a faggot themselves. And either one of those means that, deep inside, they have a lot of unhappiness.

So when I think about it that way, it doesn't really bother me... at worst, it might be like "Really? That's the best you can come up with? Wow, that's really too bad."

Now that's a lot harder when you are newly out, because there's still shame associated with being gay, and someone calling you a faggot reminds you of that shame. But if you simply *own* that you're a faggot... then you realize there's nothing shameful about it. And if they said it half-jokingly, you can just joke back... which might have the effect of making them think twice, and definitely has the effect of making it clear that their words were hurtful, but still didn't bother you.