1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Canada does it again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Proud1p4, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i guess i can cross "become an organ donor" off my will.
    Health Canada has no declared that not only can i not give blood, but now my organs are useless as well. :dry:

The saddest part of it is, it's not me who's going to suffer, it's the 4000 people in desperate need of a transplant.

Here's the CBCnews article. A must read

For all of you on Facebookers, here's the group. Join if you can and invite some friends.

For Canadian Citizen's only, here's the petition.

The old 2003 policy was to screen high-risk donors by testing them for diseases that may affect their eligibility. My question is: what was wrong with that method?

#1 Proud1p4, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What the hell? :confused:

What about heterosexual couples who participate in anal sex? :rolleyes: As long as they have procedures in place to stop any dodgy organs getting through then i don't see why they should need to ban anybody. Heterosexual couples can still perform anal sex, so the idea of just banning a sexually active gay male just sounds pointless. :confused:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

There are no such restrictions on UK organ donors. The website says that all donors are screened for diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis, which seems much more sensible to me.

I wish the blood donor unit would follow suit (anyone man has ever had sex with another man is excluded from giving blood for life).

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

My thoughts exactly. The old screening process had worked for years. The new policy is completely uncalled for, there have been no substantial amount of complaints warranting this new ban. I'm not sure if you read the article but even the Doctor at Toronto's University Health Network says that Health Canada should have engaged all stakeholders before making such a decision.

I mean if every high-risk donor is tested throughly before donating, then why discontinue the practice?

The policy now is: gay? no can do.
    Doctors are not even permitted to test anymore. This is essentially a ban.

The ban on blood is also unacceptable, but it really makes me sad because now i can't donate blood or give my organs to needy people after i'm long dead. :cry:

#4 Proud1p4, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  5. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Health Canada should focus on risky sexual behaviours, not sexual orientation." -Article.

agreed.

"I think it's more of an issue of anal sex, anal intercourse, than it is to do with whether someone is gay or straight," said Dean Robinson, a gay activist.

Martini is right. strait people have anal sex too, and i know a few of my straight friends who have done it.

people need these organs, and many measures should be taken to castoff bad organs from good ones, instead of just marking off a group of people that are high risk. people who need these organs are at high risk too!

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? :eek: I never knew that either. I don't like needles though so i would probably wuss out of giving blood. :astonished: I don't get why we should be excluded though if they screen them. It's not like our blood magically grows HIV after being screened. :rolleyes: Unless they're implying they aren't competent enough to screen blood properly? :grin:

I did read the article, and i was very surprised at how quiet the new law was kept. It was almost like they never wanted transplant organisations to know about it. :rolleyes:

Grrr, I could just punch the idiots that come up with these changes. :bang:

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, just in case you thought Canada was that progressive a country (it is in certain ways, granted but...)

As my friend said about the CBC article, funny how there's no mention of who's running the government at the moment. He also pointed out how it's nice they let a gay group comment right at the very bottom of the article.

What's really sad is the new policy is STILL better than the blood donation policy, where the exclusion of gay men is "indefinite" (read: for life).

And seriously, the focus should not even be on BEHAVIOUR, because anyone can lie about that. It should be on ACCURATE TESTING.

8. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Yeah, although i would like to blame it all on Harper, i do not put it solely on his shoulders.
    Yes. He's a pompous jerk, but he only has a minority so he can't enforce these initiatives alone.

Most definitely, i am in complete agreement. If they are tested (be they heterosexual or homosexual) and test negative for all diseases then they should be allowed to donate. Period.
    Maybe testing methods need improvements but then the focus and funds should be that and not on implementing these insane and obscene bans.

9. Choucho

-_- I kick things in their general direction.
    That's unfortunate.
    How silly of them to make such a decision at the expense of many people. My expected decomposition rate has just been doubled. D:

10. josephaustin92

What does being gay have to do with my heart or lungs ???
    as long as i am clean of sti they should take my organs

11. Bevo

Bevo Guest

It's pretty much the same in Australia though iwould have thought it to be more liberal in Canada

The Australian Red Cross Blood Service bans blood donations from men who have had sex with men in the previous twelve months; as does the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand and 48 states of the United States. The policy is still before the Tasmanian Anti-Discrimination Commission, the "final" hearing is expected to be in March 2008

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually in the US, men are barred FOR LIFE from donating blood if they've had sex, even just once, with a man (since 1977).

13. SlickyPants

I keep hearing the anal sex argument but what I don't understand is what difference it makes if it was anal or vaginal sex. The way I see it, if you aren't wearing a condom then any present STIs will be spread irregardless of where you stick your pecker. What makes anal sex more dangerous?

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first off the view is that anal sex is most generally engaged in by gay men, and gay men as a group (statistically in the Western/Northern world) are more likely to be HIV+ than say... straight women.

Plus, if I remember my safer sex lectures right, unprotected anal sex is a particularly good vector of transmission for HIV, even more so than unprotected vaginal sex. That is, it's easier for HIV to enter the body through the mucous membranes in the bum than those in the vagina.

So that's why engaging in anal sex is considered more of a risk factor in terms of blood and organ donors. However, it's still totally bogus in my view even if HIV transmission IS easier through anal sex than vaginal sex.

15. SlickyPants

Is it really all that much easier though? Okay, so the numbers say that anal sex can transmit disease X-percent better than vaginal sex. Does that number really matter? Hypothetically speaking, if I was HIV-Positive and I had sex with a woman (really hypothetical!) would there be much of a chance that she'd still be uninfected after I had unprotected vaginal sex with her?

The way I understood it (and I may very well be wrong) is that if you have unprotected vaginal intercourse with someone with HIV, you will get it as well.

It's like being put into a tank of water with no way of getting out vs. being put into a tank of water with no way of getting out except that the latter tank has man-eating sharks in it. Both will kill you but one is seemingly more dangerous.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong in my way of thinking.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe you're wrong... HIV is actually a very fragile virus and I don't believe the infection rate is anywhere near 100% even during unprotected sex. So the ease of transmission based on the type of route provided to the virus is still pretty important.

There's still a LOT of fear-mongering about HIV and AIDS. It's not some kind of super-virus where if you get one particle of it in your bloodstream, you are guaranteed to become infected. It's interesting, because the recent zombie movies (28 Days Later, Resident Evil and its sequels) are basically playing off the fear of blood-borne illness (namely, HIV) much like the zombie movies of the 60s and 70s played off people's fears about radiation. Despite how the killer viruses are portrayed in the modern zombie movies, HIV doesn't work like that.

17. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Joey couldn't be more right.
    HIV is not a "super-virus", it is quite fragile when not in direct contact with the blood stream and even then it depends on the type and severity of exposure.
    Anal sex isn't just a few percentage points higher. Comparing the chance of infection for anal sex vs vaginal sex is like the absorption of a sponge vs a paper towel (respectively).

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Same in the UK

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

CANADIANS MAKE SURE TO SIGN THE PETITION, 6000 people have viewed it but only 1000 signatures!!

20. Alexander

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

This is really depressing, and very unfair. I think that basically everyone at the point of death, with a few months to live wouldn't give a crap whether their new kidney was a cat's, much less a gay man. This ban, besides discriminating against willing donors, some of them family, friends or partners to the ones who need their organs, also makes a very biased and stereotypical judgment about gay men. Who's going to turn society around?!?! :help: