1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job application question- callbacks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nate16, Jun 11, 2012.

1. nate16

Hey guys. So im not sure how to approach this. For the past four weeks or so ive been applying to every job application i could get my hands on. Today i heard that one of the places i applied to is now searching for a position that im capable of filling. Should i call back and or go visit in person to ask about my materials ert? What should i even say? Any advice is highly appreciated as my experience in this field is minimal.

2. RealityCheck

It depends on what type of job it was that you applied for and if you applied online or not. If you feell that you are fully qualified and they reopened the listing for other candidates it sounds like for some reason they didn't see you as a match. That being said, if you did fill out a online application it can really do no harm to take a hard copy of your resume and give it to a hiring manager. If you do this make sure that you go at an appropriate time, dress like is required for the job or better, be prepared for an immediate interview, and have a good cover letter.

An example for a server position in a full-service restaurant would be to go usually between the hours or 2pm-4pm, dressed in attire the waitstaff has, review their menu and company info online beforehand, and pattern your cover letter with keywords from the job listing as well as one or two specific examples of how you have used those skills in your life. There are many other things you can do, but it's hard to give specific advice without knowing exactly what type of job you are looking for.

Many times the best way to get a job is through networks.

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree. You don't really want to harrass potential employers, but I think it's a good idea to go in with your resume, ready for an interview (might not get one, maybe they'll schedule one later, but be prepared for anything), and point yourself out as a candidate.

'Course, if I had been able to get a job in the last few years, my opinion might actually mean something... :lol:

Good lucks and stuff!

4. Deaf Not Blind

My college has free to the public training on this.
    So I have been told if you have applied they usually keep it on file. But contacting them about a new type job opening you think you would do well in is good. This is because it maybe you filed only for say stock work, and now retail sales in suits is open and your mom used to alter suits, so you know all about it. Okay, so your cover letter was directed to only that job, not the new one. They will maybe have no clue you will want it unless you tell them.

Call, go in person, or email, depending on what sort of job it is and how you applied. Be professional in your choice of words, write it out to see if you know what to say if you want, but don't read a script, or memorize lines, just be your natural self. Be enthusiastic, calm, and intelligent. yes, irritation is not good, but assertiveness is thought to be a strong character quality...well in men, sigh...women they think as a Btch. :/

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These days, the people hiring for low and mid-level jobs at any corporate-run establishment are NOT human resources people. They're basically wage slaves and most of them are pretty lazy and lackadaisical about who they hire.

Consequently, they may not pay attention to applications that are already on file, may not go through the effort of looking through them, or may not notice why yours stands out.

So within reason, it never hurts to gently go in and inquire. Always be super polite, dress for success (overdress to what the job requires), wait until the manager or supervisor is free, and let them know you heard about a position being open and ask if the hiring person would have just 2 minutes for you to meet him or her.

Most managers *will* appreciate someone who makes an effort, and if you don't do this every day, and don't appear desperate, they will likely think of you when they're considering who to hire.