1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever do something really dopey?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by William1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. William1

I mean really dopey, like "OMG, did I really do that?"

Last Christmas when I was first in Oz, I was staying with my aunt. She and my cuz went into town and I was by myself. They were in a hurry and all the lunch dishes were all over the kitchen so I did a big clean up. I put everything that would fit in the dishwasher, and cleaned the table and all the tops of the bench and everything. It looked really nice, and when the dishwasher was finished, I put everything away.

But a terrible thing happened. That evening, when my aunt went to use the electric knife, it didnt work, and the coffee machine didnt work and the toaster didnt work. So my aunt asked me what I did to them, and I told her I just put them in the dishwasher. Like no one ever told me you cant put those things in the dishwasher. So now Im not allowed in my aunts kitchen. :eusa_doh:

2. Brett

Yeah, I got bored, like REALLY bored, so I decided to pull out a cord a little from the socket and drop a penny an the exposed metal prongs (l0l lol) those things. But anyways, the wall socket exploded an caught on fire. Then I went and got water to put it out w/ but luckilly my mom stopped me... hehe

3. justjoshoh

Where do I begin...

One memorable dopey moment in my life came in my sophomore year at college. I was in my dorm room. It was the middle of the afternoon and I was bored. I decided I wanted to see just how quick paper burns.

I took a sheet of notebook paper, held it out, flicked my Bic and watched it burn. It got to the point that it was becoming too hot to hold, that would be as the flame approached my fingers. Of course my reaction was to drop the paper. As I watched it fall to my bed, I thought, "oh crap", at about the same time as the fire spread to my blanket. I had to smother the blanket to extinguish the flame. There was not major damage, thankfully, but I had a burn hole on the blanket to remind me how dumb I can be at times.

My roommate to the Bic away from me, by the way, as he came in and noticed the slight buildup of smoke in the room.

4. panda

I think William must be in the lead for Best Intentioned but Biggest Dopey thing for his classic toaster in the dishwasher tale.
    I would love to contribute but since most of my "Dopey Things" were done under the influence of alcohol they don't count.

5. Louise

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Well at least that gets you out of washing up duty!

It was a very nice thing for you to do though (not the electrical goods of course) but the intention was lovely. Once your aunt has finished being mad at you I hope she realises what a lovely nephew she has. :kiss:

6. pirateninja

Can I count the amount I've done stuff like that?

I once jumped in a swimming pool fully clothed, and had to explain to my mother why I was wet.

I once got my hand stuck in a school radiator, and they had to turn off the heating in school so I didn't burn my hand. I actually got it stuck trying to retreive some money I dropped down the back of it.

And there was the time that I locked myself out of the house and had to climb on the roof to get back in.

And with some friends we mummified ourselves in toilet paper. And knocked into nearly everything because we couldn't see.

And when I was younger I broke both my thumbs for not lifting my hands out the way when shutting my moms car boot.

I'm a walking stupidity machine! :grin:

7. :eek: Both your thumbs?!?! Ouch! (*hug*) I once saw a little boy get his hand stuck in the boot because someone closed it one him. It looked very painful and he was only like 2 or 3.
    As for something stupid I've done, this was ages ago like when I was real young but still it's he only thing that comes to mind. My nan had a tin of ham or something and I decided I wanted the key thing that you use to open the tin and I somehow ended up getting my index finger stuck in the coiled up tin. It sliced my finger open along the top and down the sides so half the skin was hanging down and peeled back and bleeding everywhere. They couldn't stitch it up or anything so it just had to be held in place till it healed over so now I have a scar there. And then in primary school I offered to clean out the back room of the art room and my friend and I started drilling holes into the floor with an old hand drill and somehow I ended up slicing the same finger vertically with the rusted hand drill. So I have 2 scars on the same finger. Yeah I know that was a boring story but I have nothing else atm.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am always falling over. I once got my legs trapped in the stool in my old science room. I then toppled over trying to use the other stools to stop me, but caused a massive domino effect down the row i was on. :astonished:

I often say stupid things as well. My worst one being geography. Here are a few examples of how dumb i am at geography:

• I thought Aberdeen was in Amsterdam, not Scotland.
    • I always thought that Africa was where Russia was, and that they were near each other.
    • Argentina was up where Europe is.
    • I had an argument with my geography teacher insisting Morocco and Moscow where the same.
    • I can never tell the difference between Dublin and Edinburgh.
    • Istanbul is in Athens

That is all i can think of for now. :confused: :bang: :icon_redf

9. CelebrityHead

William, that's classic! But your aunt should really see your intentions and be happy that you tried to help her. It's the worst when you try to do something good and only get shot down in flames because you did something wrong!

Oh and I've done far too many dopey things to just pick a few, trust me!

But Pirateninja's story about the thumbs reminded me of this guy on the train yesterday. The train was stopped at the station and this guy had his head poking out of the door, talking to his friend on the platform, I think. Anyway, the train was about to leave and the doors shut, hence squashing the sides of this guy's head (even after the loud beeping to warn passengers to stay clear of the doors)... that was the highlight of my day!

10. Hollywood

i parked in a semi-muddy area of my BFF's yard today and tore up their grass when i drove off...

im such an idiot xD

11. William1

Hey thanks Louise, but I don't think my aunt sees it that way. I don't think she likes boys much coz she's always nagging me and her son (even though he's 18 and grown up).

But I don't blame her too much coz Ive done other mistakes. I made a mess of her kitchen once when I tried to heat up a tin of plum pudding. It said on the tin to put it in boiling water for like 30 minutes, but I thought maybe it would be quicker in the gas oven. When I took it out it was completely round like a football and so hot I had to hold it with towel. When I tried to open it, it sort of exploded. All the pudding shot out of the hole and went all over the kitchen. Some even went on the ceiling. So she got mad at me again, even though my mum paid for the ceiling to be repainted. (I offered to paint it, but she wouldn't let me.)

12. panda

Thank You,Thank You, Thank You William:roflmao: You have made my day.You should carry a video camera with you at all times.I would have loved to have been there for the exploding pudding.
    One time years ago when I was questioning my sexuality I went to a gay AA meeting,came in late,attempting to be invisible I sat in a chair near the back and the chair broke with a crash,everyone turned and looked at me and laughed.:icon_redf

13. Louise

William, you crack me up. You know heated in the oven or boiling water if you hadn't made a hole in the tin before heating it it would have exploded anyway.

I think your aunt is probably seriously lacking in humour! No one was hurt, no serious damage was done that couldn't be put right with a lick of paint or a new coffee machine, where is the problem?

I don't know you of course but I have a William (nearly 10) who is constantly cracking me up so I am already predisposed to liking you but you sound like a really lovely person. Don't let anything your aunt say or her attitude towards you get you down, continue being the person you are, you are just great as you are!

I'd prefer a lovely person like you who does doppey things from time to time (don't we all) than some one mean or selfish or who never simply put a foot wrong... boring!

PS loved all the other stories too *stops typing to wipe tears from eyes*

14. sexyalex

well you know how everyone loves to learn how to drive form their mom or their dad and have a bit of fun in the family car? well, i NEVER wish to learn to drive and if i do....maybe when i am 40 and my parents give up on driving me around anywhere i want to go but based on my pas experiences...awuh awuh...

well my first time was with my mom, i was driving out the car and i accedntaly stepped on the brakes slightly and mistaken it for the gas. however, i fot frustrated as to why the car wasn't moving and i took my foot up and stepped down on the gas and then *VOOSH* the car went through the gate and out into the road and almost hit a POLICE CAR that was passing. anyhow, my mom ran and jumped into the front seat like James Bond, broke her nail and pulled up the hand break which really saved me from the police finding anything suspicious hehehe.

Annnnyways, my second experience was with my dad and his BMW 7th series. now seriously idk if that car is cheap in the US or UK or whatever but here it's pretty much worth a fortune and my dad had just got it custom made. he asked me to do the opposite of what my mom did and that was to reverse the car IN the garage. however, upon reversing i was skeptical of when to stop, so i turned to my dad who was beside me and asked. his reply was, use your mirror...shortly after my cosuin was standing to the side which i didn't realise till she replyed after my dad saying "don't stop till u hear *BOOF*" soo i was like...."riiight?" and it soo happened i really wasn't paying much attention and *BOOF* went the bumper. yeaaa and most unfortunate, it's a black car! black car= loud scratches.

sooo....what was the conciquence for learning to drive? 2 weeks worth of lunch money. i get $350 a day for lunch on average. well that's if i have training till late. however seeing i go to a private school prices for food are sky high and my savings(god if i could only save) could not cover the first week. My dad repair his car bumper, and my mom....well she made me pay for her to do a new manicure. well that wasn't soo bad...:dry:

15. Louise

I'm guessing here that your dollars are not on a par with US dollars!!! :lol:

16. LorenzG1950

DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!

As a kid, I was heavily into building my own speaker systems in huge cabinets with several amplifiers hooked up in series. Clever as I was, I decided to use regular electrical plugs for the speaker wire (in case I want to move them outside) and a standard electrical outlet at the main amp. Worked like a charm :eusa_danc .

Saturdays, my mom was on a rampage with the vacuum cleaner and unplugs all the wiring so she can clean around the speakers. After she’s done cleaning, she plugs everything back in. Yes, my speaker cables into the electrical wall outlet :confused: . Poof !(sorry about that). Everything goes up in smoke and my speakers are melted. And several fuses bit the dust. I cried :tears: , and learned a valuable electrical lesson. Then I banned my mom from my bedroom :thumbsup: . At least she wasn’t to touch any of the electronic stuff.

And William, your stories made my day :roflmao: :roflmao: . You're downright dangerous.:icon_bigg

17. William1

Lolz! I was thinking that, maybe he means $3.50, cos you could sure buy an awesome lunch with $350. :icon_bigg

18. Zec24

Well I've had moments where I've been incredibly idiotic.

When I was about 13/14 I decided it would be a good idea to climb up a wooden mattress frame that was sitting propped up against an industrial sized dumpster. Long story short, I got to the top, and sat down on the top of the frame just as it slid down the side of the dumpster.

Probably about a 5 foot fall. My butt (and consequently my tailbone) landed right on mattress frame. I'm pretty sure I fractured it or something b/c I couldn't get up to walk for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile my sister sat there laughing at me. It hurt to walk for a while and now it hurts when I sit down for too long.

Also, when I was about 8 I was climbing a tree which was kinda small so I probably shouldn't have been climbing it. Anyways, I got a little ways up the tree, sat down on a branch and the branch snapped. I fell out of the tree and onto a picnic bench. Again my sister was there to witness my folly and again she laughed.

Maybe I should stop trying to climb things.

19. Hydrogen

I have done TONS of stupid things.. the worst was when when I was still in training as a Trooper and had to ride along with a FTO (field training officer). It was the first day he let me drive, and we were doing good, went to lunch, and as we came out to get back in the car, I realized I had locked the keys in the car...

... it took the Boca Raton Fire Dept. about an hour and a half to get the door unlocked. (by that time, my supervisor, many other troopers and a dozen firemen were there, just watching and laughing.)

I will never live that down, the best part was when $750 was garnished from my wages to pay for the damage to the window and door the firemen made. If I had know if was going to be such a big deal, I would have just busted the window out on my own, then it would only be like $250 to fix.

oh well, live and learn.