1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Jonathan's Hair :p

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jonathan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jonathan

This is probably pretty random, but I figured I'd ask anyway. So long story short, just to make a change I let my hair grow out and haven't gotten it cut since January-ish. Now it's pretty long (probably too long) and I'm just not sure what to do with it. I've thought about just getting it buzzed, but that's basically just going back to what I've always done so I'm not sure I want to do that. I've been thinking about different hair styles and/or dying it a different color...but I really have no idea what style would look okay on me, if it would be better to dye it lighter or darker, and etc. Therefore, I just figured I would ask the opinions of my fellow EC'ers on what I should do. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2012 at 05:35 PM ----------

I just realized it might be helpful if you could actually kinda see what it looks like now lol. So I just took this pic

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/1757-albums2511-picture29948.html

2. Shevanel

I think it looks good like that personally :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

^ I agree.

..But if you are dead set on doing something new with it I def. think maybe adding some lighter shades of brown would work well on you...And if you want to cut it maybe just take a few inches off so it isn't in your face so much??
    ...Just spit ballin' ideas, don't know what you want...

4. Mad Man L

You look better with long hair tbh. Then again, generally I think the majority of guys look better with longer hair.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it! Don't cut it! :slight_smile: Maybe some highlights, or a different hair color, but honestly it looks good as is. If you do color it, don't go too light, I'd stick with a brown or maybe a deep red or something. All just my opinion, and I should offer the caveat that fashion and style advice, for those who know me irl, is about the *last* thing I have any expertise in :slight_smile:

6. I would just give it a little trim to get rid of any split ends or anything, and shape it a bit. Otherwise, it looks pretty good, although I do think you'd look nice as a dirty blond or with dirty blond highlights if you really would like a change. :thumbsup:

7. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, goodness. Looks like I'm posting a thread here next time I need hair advice!

8. timo

I pretty much agree with the other posts, "long" hair suits you! I like this better than the super short haircut :slight_smile:

9. Ianthe

I also think the longer hair suits you. But one option, is you could just go and let the stylists do whatever they want, and if you hate it, then you can get it buzzed, since you are thinking of that as an option anyway.

One thing to remember about color, is that for it to look natural, you have to maintain it. That can be kind of a pain. (If you aren't trying for "natural" this is less of a problem.)

10. Ridiculous

If you are going to keep it that length I'd suggest having it thinned out a bit. Since it has grown from a buzzcut, that means every hair will be exactly the same length, which leaves your hair pretty thick and heavy. The hairdresser would just go through with thinning scissors (which are kind of serrated, so they cut some hairs while leaving others).

Also if it was up to me I'd shorten up the sides, so they don't hang over your ears so much, and the back to prevent it getting into mullet territory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But that's just me.

11. Jonathan

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised by people's responses. So far you're like the only ones who have had anything positive to say about me having longer hair. Basically everyone else is against it and want me to get cut short again.

[​IMG]

This has been pretty much the kinds of responses I've been getting lol ^^^

Haha, that has kinda sorta always been my plan. At the end if I don't like it I'm just going to buzz it xD. My one step-sister said she would help with my hair (she does it for a living) and she said just to google styles and colors, find some that I like, show her and then we could discuss them. But the thing is that I have absolutely no idea what I want lol.

Do you think it looks better at this length, or should I go shorter again? And the mullet territory has been one of my worst fears with this from the beginning :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Jonathan
    well I looked up a few of your pics, and while it's difficult to perceive over personality etc through pics, I have to agree that the longer hair looks pretty darn good so far, and bit of work with trim etc should bring it up to really really good :wink:. Do you know why your friends prefer the shorter hair? Maybe they're always used to seeing you like that? Do they think it suits a certain "version" of you better (i.e. are these all people who don't know you're gay)? The short hair pics do have a slightly "butcher" look whereas the longer hair softens up your features a bit, without looking feminine (in my opinion anyway). I find the whole thing interesting because I have a few friends who seem to always gravitate to short short hair, and while I respect their choice I always cringe a bit when they get it cut because they do look darn good with slightly longer hair. Still trying to figure out why they see it differently. If your sister is also your stylist she probably will keep you away from a mullet fiasco :wink:.

13. Ridiculous

If it was up to me I'd go for happy medium between the two :slight_smile:. Not as short as you had it before but not as long as it is now (the fringe isn't too bad, I'm mainly looking at the sides, back, and the weight on top).

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be that the people telling you to cut it are simply used to seeing you with short hair and don't like change. That's a common thing.

While I've already stated my preference (and I honestly do think it looks better long than short), whatever choice you make, make sure you're doing it for *you*, not for your friends, not for your EC pals, but for *you* and no one else. That's really what matters, Whatever you choose, everyone else will come around :slight_smile:

15. Jonathan

Being someone who just basically buzzed my hair for my entire life, I'm not the best at visualizing when it comes to hair lol. I was wondering which, if any, of these pics is close to the length that you're talking about.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/1757-albums3523.html
    (yes...I made an album just for this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I know....Part of my wants to take the time to actually find something awesome but then another part of me is impatient and just wants to get it buzzed lol. In the end I will do what I want, but still...it gets a little tiring to always get criticized about it's length.

16. Ridiculous

I think photo number 2 for the sides/everywhere else. Your hair looks pretty good in those except I think it would be better if the fringe wasn't just cut straight across - that's why I'm suggesting leaving it longer. Doing that may require some styling product to make it look decent though.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As someone whose hair is almost two feet in length, take my word for it, they'll come around. :slight_smile:

18. BudderMC

I dunno, I feel like I actually prefer you with shorter hair. Part of that is probably because I myself have longer hair (somewhere around pic #4 before a cut). Another personal preference thing: if you do keep it longer (like #4 or longer), I'd figure something out to avoid the curling on the sides. Again, my hair does that when it gets longer (usually when I'm overdue for a cut), and personally it bothers the hell out of me. It does nothing but remind me of back in early high school when EVERY guy that had long hair decided to do that because it was the "cool" thing to do or whatever. So basically, it reminds me of more immature days, though I guess other people like it.

I've never been a fan of buzzed hair though, personally.

I have no idea what actually looks -good- on people, by face type and stuff... so honestly I think your best bet is to just go to a proper stylist and ask them what would look good with your face. The only thing you'd really need to decide for yourself is a couple boundaries you want, like whether it's longer/shorter, high/low maintenance, etc. That's what I did; my mom made me go to her stylist but I got to call the shots. I basically just told her I like it around the length I had it then and that it had to be low maintenance (shampoo, towel off, let it dry), then closed my eyes and let her do whatever. I'm not fussy about my hair, but other people seem to like it, so I guess it was a successful visit.

Of course, it is your hair though, so just wear it however you want. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh, and the criticisms about the length (if I'd guess) are likely due to the fact that right now your hair's just been "grown out", so while not only does it look like you haven't done anything with it, it also looks like you're just really really overdue for a cut. I think if you intentionally decided on keeping it long and getting it cleaned up people would receive it better.

#19 BudderMC, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  19. toms7

its great both ways i like long more !