1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay agenda vs. sex ed and etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

if only somebody had explained to me exactly what gay was, and is not, and the concept of transexual, and how it differs from tomboy a lot of ways.

most i know expect discussions and inclusions of homosexuality in sex ed classes is a way to indoctrinate impressionable youth to get them acquainted with a deviant lifestyle for recruitment purposes since gays can't procreate.

liberals insist it is just because most parents will not talk to kids (fully and correctly) about all aspects of sex so this can prevent diseases and pregnancies.

again, i didn't want to know about how to fuck...i thought it was gross until i decided to start masturbating. i just really needed to know what i was, what was "wrong with me" because i was not normal...and i think perhaps some adults just have not been educated too, so that info never came to me. if i never had internet, guess what? i would forever be alone, ashamed, and in turmoil.

what do you think about telling kids about the facts?

2. lewis15

Like, making a law that has to explain the aspects of sexuality to students at some point and time?

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

^schools have to*

3. Deaf Not Blind

yeah something like that.
    because if there are many straight peeps unaware that kids are confused, 1st bring that out to light, then make it about 5th grade they teach kids just some simple facts like some children may experience a constant thought that they are like the boys and expect to become a man, but have actually genes in their bodies that make them appear female. they could teach a bit on DNA too. i was smart, and i could have gotten help after just the list of what they go through matched me! i think it can be done.

4. lewis15

Makes sense, I think they should. I think their main concern with that is that they fear if they teach it, then more kids will "become" gay.

5. Deaf Not Blind

yep.
    but i didn't learn it from a book, or siblings, or adults. i only know certain subtle things before age 10 when it got more serous and i 1st came out. like me feeling strongly i must defend men from feminist attacks when i was 6, or my personality liking to be a leader, and enjoying playing with boys and boy things if allowed. i had girl stuff about me too, but i did really stare a lot too much at pretty blond girls too, and idolized my granddad and followed him everywhere even as toddler.
    so early on, i coulda been just a tomboy, but when my mind said i would prefer to be a boy kissing a girl i knew i was not normal.

simple list i saw online of common characteristics of mtf and ftm kids would have saved me.

6. Travel Tech

I know my school started teaching about both heterosexual and homosexual sex in 6th grade, but I don't remember them going over transsexualism.

7. Ianthe

It's the same kind of ridiculous mistake people make when they refuse to teach kids about condoms on the argument that teaching them how to use condoms will encourage them to have sex more, when actually, they will have sex anyway, and if you teach them about condoms they will use condoms.

Queer kids are queer anyway. If they learn about it in school, they will face less discrimination, and come out sooner.

8. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a good idea for schools to teach kids about sexuality and gender identity (as long as it is accurate and non-judgmental information). It would help confused teens and open up discussion for everyone. I didn't even realize what sex between 2 women is until I was 21. Sexuality was confusing and not talked about. I also had no idea what it was like to be confused about gender identity. We never talked about sexuality or transsexual/transgender people.

I definitely agree that schools are only hurting people by being so strict about what they teach. Teens need to learn about all kinds of safe sex and about what it's like to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, straight, etc. We need better education. Education, if it's accurate, could do a lot of good.

I was exposed to heterosexuality in high school all the time and it never turned me straight. :icon_wink

9. Ianthe

^^^truth

10. Deaf Not Blind

i never met another trans person, that i know of unless they were in hiding too. and it seems even if others know gay/esbian/bisesxual words, does not mean they know what that person feels like or what they think like...and it really just confused me more cuz it still didn't explain desire to bind and other thoughts, which turns out to be in transgender...if they did explain it, some kids may just be bored, others will be shocked and need to get more info...like me.

we should try to find ways to advocate so this can be available just pre-puberty so hormone blockers can be given to a kid soon enough if needed.

11. castle walls

Just to add on, in Tennessee, the governor signed a new bill that states that teachers and outside groups cannot promote or condone "gateway sexual activities". It is pretty vague but gateway sexual activities supposedly refers to touching "gateway body parts" such as inner thigh, breasts, buttocks, and the genital area. Proponents of the bill have said it only defines the current abstinence only education in Tennessee but others disagree. Regardless, it still sounds pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, I think it would be great if LGBT people were at discussed in sexual education

12. Deaf Not Blind

likely if they had a few lesbians, gays, and transmen/women come in as well they could see as an adult we may be Queer, but not all are strange! I have seen some weird dressed ones in each, but what if a kid is scared they MUST conform to that TV image so is afraid also? If they find out a teacher is gay, but he is just as much like the other nice teacher who is straight, and both hang out, eat normal foods, drive similar cars, dress just as boring...I bet that would alleviate a lot of fears too.

media does every minority group a disservice with inclusion but narrow, often stereotyped, and inaccurate depictions. :frowning2:

13. peanutbutter

I was a peer educator through Planned Parenthood. We had a event called teen talk. For a whole week, we taught anatomy, lgtb (terms, issues, q&a), condoms everything. In return, they recieve free health services through planned parenthood for a year.

Sex ed most likely will include all accurate information. Most schools have gsa with those who are well informed. so from the sex education that I was taught, lgbt was included. this edcuation was also volunteerily. parents could opt out or in for students to know.

this stuff is important for our student to know, but also is the classic subjects. i want our country usa to get better in all areas our youth to succeed.

14. Deaf Not Blind

last sentence, that is my career goal ^

15. bob94

I'm actually not sure if something like this would be a good idea in ALL aspects. I live in a very conservative and homophobic area, and if this sort of thing were discussed in class, people (the students) would just make fun of gays and say mean things. I had to put up with hearing really hateful things every single day in middle/high school, and I think this would only add to those hateful remarks. Also, if something like this were discussed in one of my classes, I know that I would feel very uncomfortable (since I'm very in-the-closet).

But I do think that these things should be available to students who want to know more. Maybe have pamphlets/educational material available in the school counselor's office? That way kids could get the information they need, while still being confidential and without having to go through an uncomfortable experience.

16. Calico

I haven't had sex Ed yet...last year I missed out and I have to wait until the end of this year for it to come around again. But I am going to be so annoyed if they don't mention homosexuality. Even in one of my classes where we're currently doing Anti-Discrimanation sexual orientation has only ever been mentioned once. Maybe if the other 13 yo's at my school learnt about this stuff they'd actually give us some respect.

#16 Calico, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  17. Deaf Not Blind

true, but how would some kid like me know it pertained to me unless discussed somehow a little? not a whole sex ed class on it, but just saying these people exist and as kids some experience, then list it, and say more information is in pamphlets in the health office with all the sports and flu papers. see nobody ever told me about transgender, so how would sticking papers about it an office help me to read it?

18. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Sex ed class should include a factual and inbiased unit on sexuality as well because there is sex people have because they can have children, and then there is sex that isn't. (infertile people and homosexuals- not because they want to have kids necissarily but because they love eachother so much that they want only to express it through pleasure) that is my opinion.

19. peanutbutter

Education is key. We can't keep it in the "closet" Everyone knows of lgbt, but that information is far from accurate! I have helped teach classes at private schools, where the parents are devout catholics, and you will be surprised at what the student themselves are experiencing.

back in grade school, kids who were bullies were the one who had it hard. i remember this kid named keith jenkins, teased my brother for being a fag. he and his crew used to jump him. to find out that keith is gay.

You never know

20. Miggy

I'm an openly gay teacher, and so is my husband. (Actually, we're both now training teachers, writing curriculum, etc.) The difference is maybe that we live in Taiwan and that our employers have no reason to fear a negative public image resulting from our sexual orientation. Yes, education is key, but in locations where it matters most, gay teachers feel they have to hide their sexual identities.

Deaf Not Blind, you are NOT abnormal, and there is absolutely nothing "wrong with you". I was twenty-eight myself when I finally understood that there is nothing wrong with me (at least in terms of my sexuality :slight_smile:. I was originally trained as a biology teacher and once taught sex ed in America, but of course wasn't allowed to go into this part of the subject in rural Colorado.

I'm also widely world-travelled (having lived outside the US for 20 years now) and have studied sexual identification extensively. At least one culture recognizes five genders: male, male with "female" inclinations, female with "male" inclinations, female, and hermaphrodite. The most respected are hermaphrodites, who are the only ones who can become "high priests."